Help!!! Tennessee's gun laws - Transport of long gun in trunk

rantingredneck

OK, Going to visit some relatives in a couple weeks and it's been awhile since I've taken a long gun through Tenn. I'm an NC CHL Holder and I've read up on Tenn's CHL law, but I'm having trouble finding any info on long guns. I've carried them into Tenn before to hunt and always just put them in the trunk unloaded.

I'll be packing my normal carry weapon and I'm not hunting on this trip but since I'll be gone several days I wanted a shotgun handy for when we're in the hotel room. Will of course put it back in trunk for any trips away from the hotel. No sticky fingers hotel maid is gonna make off with my 870!

My plan (I think) is to toss my folding stock 870 in a duffle bag in the trunk unloaded. What's the legality on trunk transport? Unloaded a must? Ammo separate?? Does it matter that it's a minivan and it's not really a "trunk"? Got a link to the law?? I'm having trouble finding info in my searches.

Thanks in advance.

Samurai

You're looking for Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1307 through -1308. First, it's not illegal to transport the weapon (within the state) unless you have an "intent to go armed." If you are carrying "an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon," then you're safe. Second, even if you are carrying "with intent to go armed," you have a defenses in section -1308 if you were carrying the shotgun pursuant to a lawful hunting activity, within your own home or "premesis," or if you have a permit.

Basically, just use good sense, and you'll be fine.

rantingredneck

Thanks for the help. Once you gave me the actual section I found it online.

Looks like I'm squared away.

This is why I love TFL. :)