Help! Source of new Quote

bookkie

Ran across this quote a couple of days ago.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." --Thomas Jefferson

It did come out of a reputable mag... But the only source listed is Thomas Jefferson... OK.. here is the challenge... This would be a great one to use if it is verifiable... Can anyone come up with the cite for this?

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

DC

Moderator Emeritus

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
I did a search on a few sites that dealt with Thomas Jefferson and his writings and quotations and did not turn anything up anywhere near what was written above. I did find some other interesting quotations on the subject of RKBA and other liberties. Here goes:

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. ME 5:85

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

"I learn with great concern that [one] portion of our frontier so interesting, so important, and so exposed, should be so entirely unprovided with common fire-arms. I did not suppose any part of the United States so destitute of what is considered as among the first necessaries of a farm-house." --Thomas Jefferson to Jacob J. Brown, 1808. ME 11:432

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms (within his own lands or tenements)." --Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution (with his note added), 1776. Papers, 1:353

"None but an armed nation can dispense with a standing army. To keep ours armed and disciplined is therefore at all times important." --Thomas Jefferson, 1803. ME 10:365

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem. [I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.] Even this evil is productive of good. It prevents the degeneracy of government, and nourishes a general attention to the public affairs." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1787. ME 6:64

"Most codes extend their definitions of treason to acts not really against one's country. They do not distinguish between acts against the government, and acts against the oppressions of the government. The latter are virtues, yet have furnished more victims to the executioner than the former, because real treasons are rare; oppressions frequent. The unsuccessful strugglers against tyranny have been the chief martyrs of treason laws in all countries." --Thomas Jefferson: Report on Spanish Convention, 1792.

------------------
"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsay Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

Jessica Wellman

I have a database of nothing but quotations.
There are approximately 100 that belong to Thomas Jefferson. I was unable to locate it there. I'll keep searching and let you know if I find it.
J

------------------
The whole secret of a successful life is to find out what it is one's destiny to do, and then do it.
HENRY FORD, "Success," Forum, October 1928

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
Here's another Jefferson quote I found t'other day:

"It is sometimes said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?"

Sorry, no cite. I'll keep looking.

------------------
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil.
Vote Libertarian - For A Change.