Help-Reloading Step

hikingman

Can I back out the decap pin assembly and size correctly since I primed the cases before sizing? Used my Lee Autoprime before sizing, oops. We're talking RCBS carbide sizing die on .45 Colt.

Thanks for suggestions-let's not deprime :confused:

saands

I don't have any RCBS carbide dies, but on the Lee and Hornady dies that I do have it is no problem to remove the decapping pin and size after the fact ... I imagine that you have already figured this out, but it is easier to just decap and resize in the same operation.

Be safe!

Saands

saands

Did you have a primer go off? Or were you just being careful?

I have deprimed live primers and always wear safety glasses, but have never had one detonate.

Saands

amamnn

In case other folks are tempted to do the same thing it should be noted that when you FL size a case the brass does not migrate only to the neck. There is some small movement in the primer pocket. Normally this does not become an issue until the brass has been sized repeatedly. BR and other match/varmint shooters usually go for max life from expensive premium cases. Those persons who anneal their cases properly and get more use generally use primer pocket uniformers and flash hole reamers at this point and avoid problems.
For the plinker/hunter this migration would not normally be a problem and sizing the cases after priming would probably not be dangerous in and of itself. However, this will change the seating of the primer. again this may not be dangerous unless you are loading for military type semi auto rifles. If you are, you should probably check to be sure the primers are still recessed into the head by .003", that being the ideal distance from flush. Protruding primers are held to be the #1 cause of slam fires in theres weapons and occur mostly in ammo handloaded by beginners.