Help Recommend Shooting Sport

NCHornet

My son and I have akways enjoyed target shooting together. Now that he is getting older (16) he is asking me to teach him more SD drills. It has been many years since I received my training and I understand a lot has changed, but somethings will never change. With that in mind we both mentioned we might light to get involved with some of the competition shooting but I am not sure what is out there. I have many health problems so dropping to the ground and rolling around is not possible, but I can move from station to station and fire at multiple targets just fine. Looking for something we can use stock guns. I don't have the money for Race guns. I have a good selection of revo's and auto's in several calibers so I don't think weapons will be a problem. I do all my own reloading so would prefer something where I can shoot my own ammo and not factory ammo. We live in a small town in NW. NC. so I understand we will have to do some traveling to attend events. So there it is, if you can help with a recommendation or know of a shooting club in our area please provide the info.
Thanks Y'all
God Bless and Be Safe
NCH

NCHornet

The IDPA looks like what I am looking for. Looks like the closest to me is still a couple hours away. Wonder what it takes to start a new division? I may contact them and ask.
NCH

sholling

I looked at IDPA and USPSA. The nearest IDPA club is just about 70 miles from me. 1.5-2 hours in traffic. They told me to bring what I plan to shoot, 1 holster, 2 mag pouches and 90-100rds.

The nearest USPSA club (it's upscale) requires a stiff membership fee. Approval from the membership. It's a 45 mile drive (1 hour) each way including once to be voted in... or not. They suggest bringing what you plan to shoot, 1 holster, 5 magazine pouches and at least 200-250rds.

I'm retired so I'm going cheap for now.

glockopop

I shoot both USPSA and IDPA, and both are SUPER FUN! Some people prefer one over the other, but USPSA production is basically just IDPA SSP. It's all fun, and you get out of it what you put into it. Both of the USPSA and IDPA clubs I've shot at had at least 2 guys shooting who were in their 70s, and they didn't win but they sure had fun.

Most USPSA or IDPA clubs are nothing like sholling's experience, they are very open and friendly, and if you tell them what you've got and they'll tell you what division you'll be in and what equipment you'll need. If you don't have everything, they'll more than likely be able to arrange loaners for you.

45Dave

IDPA

Great your son wants to have some fun with you shooting. I use to take my son to the IPDA, you could have a blast with off the shelf guns with nothing fancy. At the same range with us were race guns, that also was fun with lots of shooting however you had to have some special gun, holster and such in order to really enjoy that format. Both are fun, one was affordable for me.

IDPA or USPSA are both fun, the Stock Service Pistol division (IDPA) and Production Division (USPSA) are pretty similar in gear needed to shoot.

The things I had to get before my first match:
A good holster that I could re-holster my gun with only one hand
A good belt (gun belt) that would hold the gun and holster.
At least three-four mags...I had to buy two.

Most clubs will let you shoot your first time even if your equipment isn't exactly what is needed...I figured I'd be doing this for a while so I went ahead and bought all the stuff I would need. I can't wait until my son gets old enough to come with me (he's only 4 now).

NCHornet

Looks like I already have all the gear, except for some speedloaders if one of us wants to shoot the revos, but for the auto's I have everything. What age do they start at, I couldn't find this info anywhere on their site. I have emailed foothill defensive shooters in Wilkesboro but haven't heard back from them. They have a IDPA shoot there tomorrow so I may take a ride out there.
Thanks for all the help.
NCH