Help Picking Out Grips For My GP-100

dallasconundrum

Hi guys, need a little help from the GP shooters out there. Or well, anyone that wants to throw their hat in really. I ordered a 4 inch adjustable sighted GP-100 back a few months ago, and it and I have been having a little bit of a communication problem. My shooting with it has been a bit erratic. Kinda all over the place. Now, I'm not the best shot out there admittedly...but I'm better than what I had been doing as evidenced by several other guns. I really liked my GP-100 though, and kept shooting though less frequently than I normally would have. Oh, and I've tried different loads from different makers in different grains from mag to specials. I decided that this week I would sort something out. Today, I shot it quite a bit, and found that with VERY slow, single action fire, and a tremendous ammount of concentration I was able to put up some respectable groups. So, I know that the gun is not innaccurate, but I also know that I am not that bad of a shooter that my sessions with it should be like this. Therefore, I've decided that my problem likely lies with the grip. It doesn't fit well into my hand and is a bit oversized for me. So, I'd like to try out another grip on it to see if this will bring us more in-line together.
My three considerations are:
1) Hogue rubber monogrip
2) The "little" GP-100 grip
3) Maybe something from Pachmayr
Mainly it is between the first two, but I'm still open to Pachmayr. As for the Hogue, from my Smiths, I know that it fits my hand well and I believe this to be one of the main reasons I can shoot my 620 so much better than I can shoot the GP. However, to be honest, I really don't like the look of the Hogue when fitted to the GP-100. I know, it should be function before form...but I really would like to look at the smaller grip that Ruger also makes for some GP-100s. I have about average sized hands, with long, but fairly little fingers. So, I am thinking that the little Ruger grip might work much better for me and this is the way I would honestly lean more toward going, but would like to find out the experience of others who have these grips on their gun.
Thanks in advance for any help.

timothy75

For 20$ you can try them all, but I'd stick with the factory grips. Work on your trigger pull and grip with organized practice. Good Luck

RsqVet

I put houge wood finger groove grips on mine and the profile is simmilar to the rubber houge grip and infinately better than the ruger factory grip if you ask me, the houge give you a more ergonomic grip that I find better to use, the stock factory grips are not liked by me --- frankly wrapping the grip in a wad of duct tape might work better than those for me.

I also smoothed the edges of the trigger with a dremal that helped my trigger feel on both the GP and SP rugers I own.

DWARREN123

I have the Hogue mono grip on mine and like them. A too small grip will be just as bad as a too big. The best thing would be to try someone elses before buying if possible or if you have a really good gun shop that will let you try before you buy otherwise I would go with the Hogues.

WESHOOT2

mine; wife's; daughter (but never in competition, yet)

My pair of GP100's wear the superior Pachmayr Decelerator grips.

The guns are mostly fired DA (IPSC).

For the money they are worth trying.....

garryc

I have the hogue monogrip and like it real well. You might try putting in a wolf spring kit to lighten the trigger.

O/U Mike

I too found the stock grips to be a bit large and first replaced them with the smaller GP100 grips, which for me was a big improvement. Then I found the Hogue monogrip at a reasonable price, and thought I would try it as well. After shooting recently with the Hogues, I think I prefer the smaller GP100 grips. I just shot more accurately with them. In addition, the appearance of the gun with the Hogues just makes the whole package look huge, especially when compared to the smaller GP100 grips. Just my experience though.

Huchahucha

I put the rubber mono grip that Ruger uses on the Alaskan on my GP 100, as well as a wolf spring kit, and I still can't shoot that gun as well as I shoot my 686. When I first started using my GP 100 I thought the same thing you did, "I can't believe I'm shooting this poorly". For me I think the trigger is just too harsh. The 686 was my first gun, I shot the hell out of it the first couple of months I owned it, and the feel of the two guns are very different to me. I like the Ruger, but I like the Smith and Wesson a hell of a lot more.

RON in PA

I have a police surplus 3" GP100 with the small factory grips and small to medium hands. I am very happy with the fit and am impressed with the way the grips handle the recoil of 357 loads. I have had experience with the full size factory grips and do not find them as well fitting. You may also be experiencing problems with your GP100 when shooting DA. Rugers have good DA triggers when broken in, but are not the equal of a Smith&Wesson DA trigger, IMHO. This may be showing up in the difference between your SA and DA shooting. If this is the case, practice and experience with your revolver may eliminate your problems. You will find that your Ruger smooths up considerably with use and dry firing, in fact I'd advise spending a lot of dry firing time with it.

Bullrock

I put woods on my GP100 and it shoots almost as well as my 686...

attachment.php

Charles S

Bullrock,

Those are some very nice looking grips.

I have reached a point where I prefer wood grips on all my revolvers.

Charles

Red Moose

+ 1 for Hogue Tamer

The Hogue "Tamer" works wonders for my SRH 480 . . . it is just right, not expensive and easy to install yourself. Try it, and you'll find it superior to the factory grips.

dallasconundrum

Hi guys, thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate it. For those who mentioned it, the trigger is not too bad on my gun. I have dry fired it a lot though, even did it quite a bit before the first time I shot it. I've got to handle some of the smaller GP-100 grips, and I must say that they seemed to fit my hand pretty well. I think that is probably what I am going to try first. Hopefully that will help, I think it will. Actually, I went into the dealer that I normally do buisness with today, but he was out and they were absolutely covered up so I just looked around, but didn't get to really try any of the aftermarket grips. I think that when he is back in he will probably be willing to let me try some different grips on my gun and figure something out. He's usually pretty good about that kind of stuff.

On an unrelated note: He also had a lot of new guns in today. 3 Colts ( a 4 inch Python, a Diamondback and Police Positive (I think) all looked pretty mint from what I could tell). Some new (old) Smiths...
*sigh* I think I might end up getting more than grips although I really don't need to...