Help pick an Encore barrel.

bcarver

What cartridge would you choose in .35 caliber?
Please keep recommendations to barrels that are readily available.
(no extended waitlist).
This is for a non reloader so ammo should be avalable at Bass Pro or Wal-mart style store.
Reason: My state now allows hunting during Muzzleloader season with a single-shot break open rifle of .35 caliber or larger as long as it has a hammer.
The shooter wants low recoil and flat shooting.
I am looking at the .35 whelen, 358 winchester and 350 rem mag.

Last edited:

HOGGHEAD

Personally I prefer the .358 Winchester. But it does not really fit into your requirements. You did not define the distance you would like to shoot. A 357 Magnum fits your bill, but distances should be kept to around 100 yards or less. Another barrel that will fit your requirements is the 45-70. The 44 magnum might also be a good choice. This cartridge can easily extend your range to 200 yards or so. You have really limited yourself when you say ammo readily available(I am assuming you also mean at a good price), and easy availability of a factory barrel. The 44 magnum is probably your best choice if ammo cost is also a variable. Tom.

aaalaska

35 rem 44 mag 444 , all good rounds 44 to 100 yds 444 and 35 will give more reach ,all should be in most sporting good sections and none will hurt you on recoil.

bcarver

choices

358 win is an option.
357,44,45-70 and 35 rem don't really shoot flat enough.
I am willing to compromise on recoil.

sureshots

Unhappy

I bought A new Encore stainless Rifle with A 30-06 barrel about A year ago. I already owned 3 other frames and some other barrels. About A month ago I finally got around to shooting it. I got it out of the safe and went to the range. Guess what? It wouldn't fire. I have sent it back to TC but I was wondering what the problem could be. I'm not sure I want to recommend another barrel because I'm sure not happy with this one.

thallub

About A month ago I finally got around to shooting it. I got it out of the safe and went to the range. Guess what? It wouldn't fire.

Did you have a hammer extension on the gun? Encores are very sensitive to hammer extensions and many misfires are caused by them. Sometimes the problem is a little too much headspace coupled with a hammer extension. For some reason misfires happen pretty often with Encore barrels in .30-06. First time I put the .30-06 barrel on mine was at a local range after I had fired the .50 M/L barrel. One of the regulars told me that i would have misfires with the hammer extension. He was right.

Encore owners should install the stronger hammer spring from bellms.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php

paknheat

The .358 WIn. would be the one that produced the least felt recoil. If you are keeping your shots under 200 yds, It should be plenty. I have a TC mutt in 25.06 that is extremly accurate with my handloads. The last time i looked for any .35 cal ammo in my local Wal-mart they only had two flavors, .35 Rem. and .358 Win.