Help on an English paper about the 1911

Parke1

So here's the deal. I have to write an 8 page paper for my English class this weekend. The nice thing is that I get to pick my topic. My instructor specified that it cannot be a paper on gun control when I proposed a firearms topic, but I ran the idea about how the 1911 is argued to be the best sidearm the military has ever employed. He said that this would be fine.

Now I just have to find sources for this paper. I need at least 6, and I'd like sources including specifics about the various sidearms the military has used in the past, and what they currently use, like years used, caliber, etc.

Also, I need to know what agencies still use 1911's.
The paper will be comprised of 4 main points, each two paragraphs long. So far for my main points, I have the following.

1. the length of time that the 1911 was used in the military shows that it was a very valuable weapon (need a couple sources telling the years it was used)

2. Size comparison and ballistics of the .45 vs 9mm (that is what is currently used, correct?) I definitely need a couple good sources for this one. I realize that there are those who feel that each round has advantages, but for the sake of this paper I need to go with .45.

3. Accuracy of the 1911, as well as the durability of the gun. I'll focus on the fact that many people still shoot 1911's that were made long before they were born.

4. ??? I'm not sure where else to go here. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for the help, I definitely need it. It's fine if all of the sources are online (preferred, actually).

THANK YOU!!!!
-Parke1

thm

History and current use website

http://www.sightm1911.com/

Lots of updates on history and folklore of the 1911

PS. Don't cut and paste your term paper!
PPS. Put up a copy of your term paper someplace when you finish it!

Parke1

dsk,

The teacher basically wouldn't allow me to write about gun control because it is written about so often. He also said that no papers would be accepted with topics like abortion, capital punishment, etc...

Thanks for the great links everyone! Keep 'em coming!

-Parke1

Khornet

You might comment

about the challenges of designing a service pistol: enough power, reliability, ease of maintainance, ease of manufacture, and how the 1911 met these requirements splendidly for its time. How reliable it proved to be for so many years, etc.

I'm amazed your teacher let you get this close to a gun topic at all, actually. Good for teach!

Parke1

Hey all,

The paper is coming along pretty well. I just wanted to say thanks a lot for all of the links/info.

Yes, for such a typically anti-firearms college, I feel fairly privileged to be able to write such a paper. :)

Thanks again for all the help, keep it coming if you think of anything I need to add!

-Parke1

Navy joe

So, what happens when you whip out a visual aid? I think an original, a GI A1 and a modern tricked out gun would be a nice comparision set. Maybe one of the original 2 link guns to show the development from concept to widespread employment. Then of course one each of every popular modern gun to point out what ideas spread elsewhere. :D

Jim V

Check my thread in Harley Nolden's forum here. Some information on the first major battle using the 1911.