help need advice

Wife has an LCR 1.87" 357 mag 5 shot The trigger pull on this is horrible.

I'd like any advise on which trigger set to buy and where. A gun smith told me about it but can't remember which one or from who.

Thanks everyone. This is important for her.

ShootistPRS

Triggers have to be fit to the gun. You are far better off letting a gunsmith do it. A good smith can also clean up the existing trigger for you. Be careful with spring kits for the Ruger because it takes a bit more power from the hammer to pop the primer in a transfer bar gun than with a gun that the hammer hits the firing pin directly.

gnystrom

Good advice above.
Just replacing stock springs with weaker ones will give you a lighter trigger but could possibly lead to light strikes and failure to fire which is why you bought the gun in the first place.
I have found most if not all of the triggers on LCR's to be really nice. She can herself and the gun if she would just dryfire (no ammo in the room) the gun on very regular basis. I cant tell you how many times I have dryfired my revolvers at the television screen. I may add she should do this with each hand. It will smooth the trigger but more importantly, it will strengthen her fingers.

Slimjim9

My understanding is that the LCR trigger is really hard to reliably improve. I have never seen a spring kit offered for it like the SPs and GPs.

I'd take it to an LGS and try to compare with some others. If it really is noticeably worse than normal, then I agree with BW that it should go back to Ruger. If it is the same and Mrs. Holliday still can't deal with it - well, she may need to consider semiautos with lighter triggers - or maybe the new Kimber or well tuned Smith or something.

g.willikers

We've all run across shooting irons with objectionable triggers.
There's mostly just two ways to deal with it.
Gunsmithing with a large associated cost, or shoot it enough to get used to it.
A lot of trigger complaints can be overcome by better grip technique.
Hate to say it, but a lot of shooters have really poor understanding of actually how to hold, aim and shoot their guns.
They might swear up and down they're doing it right, but an observed few trigger pulls reveals all.
Just my usual nag, feel free to ignore.

Mrs. Doc does very well firing her LCR for several loads but hits the wall and stops. She's accurate likes the balance but her hands just aren't a great fit . Of all the revolvers the LCR fits the best. I feel stupid for not taking her LCR myself to the range and run several hundred rounds through it. Will see what happens and thanks everyone for your advice.

TruthTellers

I agree with Bill in post 4 for the reason listed in post 5: The LCR trigger is different compared with other revolvers triggers and I wouldn't let any gunsmith not associated with Ruger touch it.

I would also compare it with other LCR's like Slimjim said.

T. O'Heir

"...which trigger set to buy..." There's no need to replace the trigger at all. A simple trigger job is all that's necessary. All new firearms require a trigger job.

Carmady

A while back Ruger told me the trigger pull on their LCR's was 8 lbs - 14 lbs. Maybe yours is on the high side.

old bear

Doc, "dry-fire" it several hundred times. Working the action this way should help smooth out the trigger pull. A word of warning, unload the revolver and keep the ammo in a different room from which you will be doing your dry-firing. Don't ask me how I learned this lesson.

gilfo

I would send it back to Ruger. I have a LCR 357 and the trigger is the main reason I bought it. It is only compared to a tuned S & W in my opinion. Something may have gotten out of place in the trigger mech, I would if I were you send it back to Ruger for a checkup.