Help! My Ishapore Enfield is shooting way high

Dave R

Help me, oh TFL wise ones.

I recently bought an Ishapore Enfield. That's an Indian .308 version with a notched rear sight forward of the magazine. Not the way-better aperture at the rear.

Its shooting decent groups, but I'm 8" high at 100 yards and a full foot high at 200 yards. That's with the sights down as far as they go.

Any ideas on how to zero it in? Does anyone make taller front sights for Enfields? And is the Ishapore front sight unique, or is it the same as other Enfields? Would a Mojo or some other aftermarket replacement for the rear sight allow for more (less) elevation?

Dave R

I actually tried that :D

I tried different sight pictures. With just the smallest nub of the front sight poking above the notch in the rear, I was still 4-5" high at 100 yards. Bummer.

Ive heard of people slipping bits of wire insulation over post sights (ie Mosin Nagant) to raise that a bit, but that wouldnt apply here, as it isnt a post. Think up something similar.

Dave R

Yeah, maybe I could silver solder a rod or wire to the post...lthough I've never silver soldered before.

No Ishy shooters here who know of replacement front sight posts? I'd rather not bubba if I don't have to.

JR47

Take the front sight off, and have a machinist make a taller one. These rifles used a battle sight zero of a couple of hundred yards. You may want to check one of the Curio & Relics Boards for siggestions, too. :)

Mk VII

you need to determine which size foresight is currently fitted, and substitute a higher one. The sizes are probably the old .303 ones, doubt they changed.
The insert is usually marked -.030 or .060, etc., on top.

Mk VII

I've got most sizes, though my stock of some is not large. Buck-and-a-half each, plus whatever the shipping is, which won't be much.
GPC and Sarco both list them, though I don't see the individual sizes listed. Each 15 thou higher or lower makes a change of 2.77" in the POI [at 100yds].

ZEN.45

I used to have an Ishapore with the same problem.

I just used a file to remove a little metal below the rear sight, reblued that part.