help me with my AK

Ac1d0v3r1d3

First off, I have a New (current production) Romanian AK-47. It has a horrible trigger and terrible sights. It is not an accurate firearm, not for me anyway. I like it a lot, and i was thinking about doing some things to "accurize" it.

I know theres a bunch of threads about parts compliance and what not. But i always get confused reading them since it seems like everyone and their mother has a different opinion about whats legal and whats not.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the way i understand it, there can not be more than 10 of the original imported/stock parts on the rifle if i want to change it from its original/stock configuration.
So that means that on my Ak i have to change out atleast 6 parts?
I see that tapco has a kit that will replace the pistol grip, the piston the hammer and the trigger. I already have an american made gas tube i can put on. So that means i'll have to find one more part to replace. I was thinking either the lower hand guard or a folding or telescoping stock. The kit will fix my trigger problem, but i'll stil have to fix the sights some how, or i can just go with a red dot, which i'd like to play with anyway.

OK, to sum it up:

1. Am i correct in assuming that i need to replace 6 parts on my AK?

2. Will i beable to do the work on my ak myself, at home, with hand tools?

3. Is tapco a quality company? Or will i regret subing out my stock parts with them? (please actual expierence only, thank you)

Thanks,
Chris

USMCG_HMX1

Acid,

I picked up a magazine from the local grocery store (Special Weapons) and it has an article on that Tapco kit. It has the M4 style collapsible stock, an M249 Squad Automatic Weapon style pistol grip, and a Galil style forend. The author stated he used basic hand tools (phillips and flathead screwdrivers, a drill for the screw holes in the stock, and a wooden mallet for the stiff parts.

Says the instructions were incredibly well-written and it took about a half hour to complete.

If you can find it, it'll be the one with the AR-50 and S&W M&P15T AR on the front cover. Display date is May 2007.

Kris

rgates

I also recently bought a Romanian AK. Had read a lot about the potential problems, pros and cons. A lot of great info came from this forum. I had already been told Tapco was good quality and had read the same on some other sites. I bought a Century Arms GP-WASR-10. I was already planning on getting the Tapco trigger group parts before I even bought it but when I got it home and took it apart to clean I discovered it came with the Tapco parts already in it. I'm also looking at making some modifications but want to stay legal so I'll definitely be watching this thread. As soon as I have time to research I'll let you know what I find if the answers aren't already here.

By the way, if you haven't already been to this site, check it out:

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/whyromanian.htm

rgates

Here's the list of parts. Click on "Parts count on AK" in lower left corner.

http://www.redstararms.com/

Seems to me we'll first need to know which parts on the rifle are currently import parts or US made.
I'm going to try e-mailing Century.

Update: e-mail sent. I hope they respond.

OBIWAN

"It is not an accurate firearm, not for me anyway."

If you bought it for a target rifle you wasted your money:D

Define "not accurate"

If you can put all your shots in a 6-8" circle then the rifle does what it was made to do

If you want a 1" circle you are likely to spend a lot of $$$ and never get there

HorseSoldier

You can improve the sights with various add ons -- the only catch being that by the time you get an Ultimak rail and decent red dot or side plate optics mount and decent Russian sight like the Kobra or PK-AS, you're looking at putting as much $$$ into optics as you've got in the Romanian AK to begin with (this might not bother you, if not, then it's what I'd recommend).

Krebs Custom has a hinged rail system that goes over the dust cover and has an M16A2 type sight at the back end, greatly increasing your sight radius and giving you a much easier sight to adjust for personal zero. I'm not sure on pricing, but, again, it will probably run you most of the cost of a new Romak. And again, may be worth it.

AK103K

Dont you just have to replace the crappy US trigger parts you remove with better US trigger parts? I dont think you need to worry about the parts count otherwise.

I put a RSA trigger in my SAR. It was one of the early ones and required some file work to get it in, but I've been told they are better now, requiring less, if any work. It does work very well and is adjustable.

If you want something other than the stock iron sights, the Ultimak and a good red dot are the way to go. With the right ring/mount, you can also co witness the iron sights. The Ultimak allows your dot to be mounted low, up front, and out of the way and the rifle will shoulder naturally just like your iron sights. Most all the others sit to high, are in your face, and make shooting somewhat of a chore. The Ultimak is well made and worth the money. Most of the other tube mounts are questionable at best. By the time you fool around with them and move on, you could have had an Ultimak.

The iron sights are really not all that bad. I've shot a bunch of AK's and currently own 4, and have yet to shoot an "inaccurate" AK. They are not target rifles, and were never trying to be, but they will shot if you can.

If you want a folder, the Romanian wire type stock is your best bet. You simply unscrew and remove the wood stock, and put the wire stock in its place. All you need is a screw driver and an allen wrench. The wire stock is the correct length, is rock solid, open or closed, and allows access to the controls when folded. Its not uncomfortable, like I find the under folders to be, and the rifle shoulders just like a wood stock with basically the same cheek weld.

spyderdude

I guess I got lucky with my Romanian GP WASR10. It came with the TAPCO trigger group, and I can actually get 4"-5" groups at 200 yards with the original sights. I absolutely love it, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another GP WASR10.

enstorm

I have shot several tapco triggers and they are to me surprisingly smooth. You may want to switch your trigger group out. Cost is about 35 bucks or so.

The reason for everyone and their mother having a different parts count is because of the options. The mag alone is 3 parts, at least as I've read: body, follower, bottom plate, while the trigger group is 1 part. Use an imported mag, and you have to get rid of the imported muzzle brake and/or grip and/or stock and/or gas piston and/or trigger group. Stick on a US mag, and use imported parts that would have been unavailable to you otherwise.

AKs are not target rifles, but they are certainly accurate for their purpose, and I think they are great plinking rifles. My only real gripe is their way too short butt stock.

Gewehr98

The trigger replacement is easy.

A Tapco G2 is relatively cheap, and if you're not fighting a bad trigger, your accuracy will improve.

As for the Tapco Galil-style forend and SAW pistol grip, I had them on my Romanian SAR-1 for all of 10 minutes, then sold them. They dominated the gun, and I found them cheap and clunky. I went with K-Var walnut furniture and a Romanian wire sidefolder. That's the configuration I kept it in, and I can do 3" 100 yard groups with the little guy, great plenty for a go-to gun.

sar1walnut.jpg

Ac1d0v3r1d3

Ultimak

I bought an Ultimak rail gas tube a while ago. Its rock solid. Now i'll just need to get that Tapco kit and a good red dot, and maybe a new muzzle break and some new furniture.

I dont expect my AK to magically become a Sub MOA rifle after i put some work into it. I just want to make it easier to shoot well. Better trigger, red dot sight, and then have some fun changing things around on it.
Thanks for the help
Chris

rgates

Well, Century responded:

"Century does not divulge the parts lists, as we know the guns leave our factory in total compliance. "

Go figure.

Looks like the only way you would be able to be sure you stay compliant is to know exactly which parts are import to begin with.
So I think the butt stock is import so I'll just start there.If I put a Romanian wire folder on it the import parts count doesn't change. Right?

AK103K

Yup, CAI = Century (International) Arms Inc.

The stock is original, the wire stock wont change the parts list. I believe there is a link somewhere over on the AK47 board that has a list of what parts are replaced for compliance, you may want to check there.

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/

Hedley

For a stock WASR without the threaded muzzle, the compliance parts added by CIA are the trigger group(3), US pistol grip(1), and gas piston(1). That takes care of the 5 required parts for a 15 part-count rifle. For the models with a threaded muzzle(16 parts), I don't know if the slant brake that comes with them is US or not. Mine certainly didn't look like it, so I put a US made one that I had laying around on to make sure.

If yours is in stock configuration, changing the foreign military stock to another foreign part, ie- a wire sidefolder like Gewher's, you would be ok. That is by far the best sidefolder for the AKM. The Tapco folder that I've handled seemed really cheesball. The Tapco G2 trigger kit will get you 3 parts, but if it already has the Century trigger setup, all you will gain is a better trigger feel. It's amazing that as much as I find Tapco's wares to be cheap and worthless, they make a hell of a trigger. The RSA trigger is nice, but it's twice the price, and I don't feel the need for an adjustable AK trigger.

For the AK's that I'm building, I'm swapping out the trigger group(3), gas piston(1), and muzzle device(1) for a US compliance count of 5, not including the US made receiver. That gives me 6 US parts and 10 imported parts. That way, I have the freedom to throw on any stock set I want. I hate being forced to use domestic furniture. I like the original bakelite pistol grips and foreign handguards and stock sets.

As far as Tapco goes, I'd steer clear. I know a lot of people like them, but the "Galil" style handguard is probably the ugliest thing you could possibly put on an AKM. It's flimsy too in my experiences.

HorseSoldier

Well, Century responded:

"Century does not divulge the parts lists, as we know the guns leave our factory in total compliance. "

Particularly amusing in light of the thread over on THR concerning Century having to recall PSL rifles after the BATFE determined they might legally be considered machineguns. I've had some positive experiences with CAI/CIA but they do seem to be the firearms world's gang that can't shoot straight.

Fal 4 Me

I can't believe no one asked this yet, but do you have the low cap or high cap version. Depending on the model you have you'll have to be careful. If you have a high cap, you should be safe by just sticking with American made parts.

Ac1d0v3r1d3

actually,

I have both! But the one i'm talking about modifiying is the double stack.

Headly, thanks, that clears a lot of things up. I'll probably go with the tapco double hook trigger and probably put a new muzzle break on it too any suggestions?
I also need some suggestions for a butt stock, pistol grip and lower forearm.
Thanks,
Chris

Ac1d0v3r1d3

i'm sure Ak-47.net is a fine site. But this thread is on THF!:D
So i'd like to hear what you guys and gals here on TFL have to say
Thanks,
Chris