Help me to know about Kahr

TinyDee

Just went to the gun show and came back with a new Kahr PM9. i really like these pistols but admit I really don't know much about them. History, reliability or value. By the way they are not cheap. Is there a place to learn or can someone help me?

Last edited:

glockcompact

There are people on here that can help you also. Not sure about history but I think they are decent when it comes to reliability. My wife and I both have the PM9 and they each have 500+ rounds through them and neither one of them has had a failure yet. They have been reliable and accurate too. I love my little PM9.

Last edited:

tlm225

Unique design with an off-set barrel allows for a slim, low profile design. The reliability appears to be somewhat less that handguns of comparable price.
The trigger pull IMO is excellent. Depending on variant the trigger travel is 3/8 - 1/2" and incredibly smooth.

My first Kahr was a CW40 that was horribly unreliable. Two trips back to the factory did not heal it. The other characteristics of the gun were so appealing to me that I took a chance and bought a K40 that I've been very pleased with. So far it's been totally reliable, fits my hand like it was made for it, and is quite accurate. Being a long term revolver shooter, I love the trigger.

dean1818

I have a Kahr K9 that is excellent. 0 FTF 0 FTE

Absolutely awesome gun to shoot and carry.

.9 inch wide...... It dissapears in a crossbreed holster. I forget that I am carrying.

To me.... though there are lighter pistols, if you like an all steel gun, this is THE choice for IWB CCW.

I did a poll about a month ago on this and another forum, and it showed that the vast majority of Kahr owners (83% or so) had ZERO problems. Another 10% had very rare problems.

The balance had more problems then the person was comfortable with to keep it as a primary weapon.

My beliefs about Kahr:

1) There WERE early CW series problems. I think MOST of these have been
fixed, but for some reason, it seems a very small % of people get a CW series that isnt reliable. For numbers sake, If you put a Glock at 98% (yes.... Glock fans, there are occasional glock issues too) than I would put the CW series at a 94 or 95%. I have also had a SIG 239 malfunction, but I still feel SIG is the top quality pistol line out there. (just too big for IWB CCW)

IMHO the Kahr is very close in quality to SIG and Glock........ but not quite as good

If you are one of the 18 or 19 out of 20 that get a great CW series
pistol you are fine. In most cases I think Kahr can get these that arent relaible running 100%

2) The K series (steel) seem to be at quality level to the SIGs and Glocks.
(from my personal experience, and internet reading:))

Either way.......... IMHO..... the Kahr is a great choice for CCW, IWB

I am looking at the new CM9 for pocket carry. (The low cost version of the PM9)

Oldjarhead

Very good pocket pistol. After the 200 round break in, it has been very reliable. The long, but crisp trigger, and long reset took a little getting used to. It is smaller than some .380s, but has the 9mm power. I prefer CCI Speer 124g hollowpoints +p for short barrels ammo for carry. I carry it in a Desantis Nemesis holster.:cool:

jimkimmons

Kahr CW 40 Problems

I love the form factor for concealed carry of my Kahr CW 40, but it's taken around 1000 rounds and some parts replacements to get to the point I think it's reliable enough to carry.

I've written here about slide lock spring and premature lockback problems. I bought a Glock 27 which is thicker and heavier and like the reliability. However, I would rather carry the Kahr.

Mudinyeri

I'm also on Kahrtalk. I own a couple. Both have been very reliable. Search Kahrtalk for Jocko's break in procedure. I did it plus a couple things of my own with my PM9 and I've never had a problem with it. My CW40 had a couple FTE's in the first two magazines and has been flawless since.

The triggers are very smooth, but the reset is both long and relatively indistinguishable. They're good carry guns for SD, but I wouldn't want one for a range/race gun.

I am enjoying my CW9. I have put about 800 rounds through it and only 1 fail to feed with some cheap target ammo. Zero issues with 100 rounds of Federal HST JHP 124gr +p.

I agree, it's definitely not made to be an all day at the range gun but as far as a CCW, I think it's great.

vyse.04

Zero issues with the K9, and it is probably one of my favorite handguns. I originally went in looking at the PM9, however it ended up being a little too small for me to comfortably handle, plus I have always been partial to steel frames. So I ended up going home with a lightly used K9, and have been completely satisfied. Easily the best trigger pull in its' group (IMO of course).

I shot a P45 and TP9 at the range, and the P45 had a few issues that came up. When a magazine was inserted, the slide would drop. Then after a few shots, the magazine would eject (I completely removed my thumb from the equation before you ask). I think those issues were more from the gun being a range rental. The people at the shop did not know that the slide will go forward A LOT easier without an empty magazine, so I think it got a little extra wear and tear from that. When I looked at the K9, the employee had me release the slide because she couldn't.

Even after that experience, I would have no problems picking up a CM9/PM9 on down the road. I'm sure with a little practice, I would enjoy it just as much as my K9. And if not, there is always the MK9!

ClydeFrog

Kahr Arms, Auto Ord, Thompson Desert Eagle...

Kahr has grown quite a bit in the last 10-15 years.
They started as a small almost niche firm for compact DA only(striker fired) pistols and grew from there.
I'd heard the factory was owned or under the control of business interests related to the Rev Sun Yong Moon(of the Moonies religious order) or his family members but that may have changed in recent years.
Kahr also has a few other popular shooting industry brands like Thompson(Tommy Gun), Desert Eagle, Magnum Research.
A few of the Kahr pistols have merit to me and I'd buy there products if I had a lot of $$$ to spend. I'd suggest ordering a 2011 printed catalog for more details. They list all the new design features & upgrades.

PSP

I've owned a number of Kahrs over the years. When they work, the Kahr has many great features that make them ideal for civilian carry purposes. They are simple, thin, high quality and accurate enough. Kahr suffers from a reputation for less than stellar reliability though. Three of my seven Kahrs had chronic problems, four do not.

If one buys a Kahr, one must accept that there are some stipulations; Use of the slide release lever for loading, quirky magazine action, off center feed ramp, a less than target quality action. Some of the Kahrs are very easy to field strip and some models are more difficult and reguire a tool. Recoil springs require fairly frequent replacement (1000-1500 rounds).

I like the Kahrs very much. I just wish they were as rock solid reliable as some other brands. Small, thin and light comes at a cost I presume.

Last edited:

spclPatrolGroup

Never an issue with my PM9, would get rid of my G19 before the PM9, very good trigger for a pistol. The only problems you seem to hear of are feeding issues, Kahr recomends you shoot at least 200 rounds as a break in period. Also when inserting a new mag its best to use the slide release lever to strip the first round.

RWK

I have owned a Kahr 4044 (all DLC coated stainless steel – no polymer, composites or plastic) for about five years; it has a 3.5 inch barrel and it accommodates 6 or 7 plus 1 rounds in .40 S&W. It is a terrific small (almost “pocket pistol”) autoloader, very easily and comfortably concealed, light and thin, quite accurate, highly durable and reliable, and with a substantial defensive load. I find it to be much more precise – in my hands – than similar Glocks (or other striker-fired, polymer-frame semiautomatics). However, let me be absolutely clear, while the K-4044 is a VERY good, small, highly comfortable/concealable personal defense weapon, it is not a target-level firearm.

My Kahr – and I have NO experience with their polymer designs – is unusually well made, with tight manufacturing tolerances. This is indicative of excellent quality and is a MAJOR, enduring advantage. However, it also means that several hundred (the manual indicates >250) rounds should be fired BEFORE the weapon is “reliability evaluated.” I found this to be entirely true – and I suspect some experiences suggesting unreliability directly relate to it – and once my 400+ round break-in period was concluded (which included several failures to fire or to eject), my K4044 has been flawlessly reliable.

The “bottom line” is simple: the K4044 is an outstanding, exceptionally concealable, very reliable and durable, small carry “all day” autoloader. At normal defensive ranges – let’s say a maximum eight or ten yards – it will unfailingly deliver a good deal of accurate, potent firepower . . . and it is unbelievably easy to carry and to conceal.