Help me sort thru all of the bolt action options

Blade37db

Been trying to research bolt action rifles and there are tons out there. My criteria are:

Either 30-06 or .308/7.62
Less than a 20 inch barrel (18 inch being most desired)
Fixed magazine (read that they are better than detachable)
Ideally have iron sights but not a must have.
Less than $800.

I know about the Ruger Great American Compact but I'm sure there are better options. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

PetahW

Off the top of my head:

Ruger M77RSI
Ruger M77 Compact
Remington Model Seven
Remington R-25

Doyle

I recommmend you stick with .308 if you REALLY want a barrel less than 20". A .308 is a tad more efficient. With a 30-06 in that short of a barrel, you'll lose more velocity than you will in a .308 and you'll get a much bigger fireball/muzzle blast.

tahunua001

Remington R-25
isn't the R25 an AR10 clone?

if you're ok with used the rem 600 in 308 is a great option. not sure about ruger offerings but I would definitely try for something that they offer. I don't know who said that box mags aren't as reliable as fixed mags but it's a load of crap. british enfields used detachable box mags in their bolt guns for almost 100 years with no problems. other more modern designs like the mossberg MVP that uses standard AR15 magazines gets a standing ovation from just about every user here that owns one. ruger gunsite in 308 is about perfect for your criteria; open sights and place for optics, short barrel, 308, reliable. it also gets great reviews and the box mag adds extra utility to it especially given the different ammo capacities available.

Scorch

Just about every bolt action rifle manufacturer in the world makes a rifle in 308. Pick one that you like and that fits you. I recommend the Remington 700 or a Ruger, but you may find you prefer a Savage, Tikka, Stevens, CZ, TC, Howa/Weatherby, Winchester, Sig, . . .

Doyle

Would a 20 inch barrel be ok for 30-06?
That short of a barrel in a 30-06 is pretty rare - especially for a bolt action. You aren't likely to be running across very many.

TnTnTn

Not too many rifles fit your exact criteria. I would recommend a Ruger .308 in some form. The CZ would be good too. Look at the Ruger Gunsite Scout- it does have a detachable mag but overall it is a do everything rifle on a great action.

steveNChunter

Look at the Ruger Gunsite Scout

Ditto. It does have a detachable mag but thats nothing to worry over. Its right at the top of your budget maybe a hair over I'm not sure what their going for.

6803.jpg

I have also heard that Mossberg is about to come out with a .308 version of their MVP. That would be worth a look also and would be a little cheaper.

timthumb.php

steveNChunter

I know about the Ruger Great American Compact but I'm sure there are better options. Any advice is appreciated.

For the money, no, really there's not much better that fills most of your criteria for that price. If you get the American for under $400 you still have over half your budget for sights or a scope, ammo, whatever else you want for it

mxsailor803

What exactly are you planning to do with the rifle?
Hunting: Ruger American (light weight and has proven to be very good overall)
Remington 788 (old rifle that has earned its place in my safe. Those that have these rifles rave about them)

Precision/target: Remington 700 (huge aftermarket following for upgrades)

PetahW

Since you're willing to opt for a 20" bbl, The .308 Savage Axis Camo is $327 @ Bud's (online).

70960.jpg

My son won the same rifle, in .223, @ a game dinner raffle a month or so ago, and it's a pretty decent rifle - I'm thinking of getting one for myself in either .243 or 7mm-08.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Blade, what's your primary intended use?

FWIW, if you're not a reloader, I suggest going with the .308, particularly in a short-barrelled gun.

The .308 was designed to work well in barrels of 18" to 20". Basically, for most uses, longer merely = less muzzle blast. The '06 doesn't really shine until you're in barrel lengths of 24" to 26".

rc

Ok, my favorites are the Ruger 77s. I like the way the safety works, they have a floor plate that drops open to make unloading easy and they have the best scope mountins system. While people trash talk about their accuracy, they are more than ample for hunting and will often surprise you. Remingotn 700s are very popular but they have a cheapie version without the floor plate so be careful. Mossberg has a rifle but again, no floorplate so you have to cycle the rounds through the chamber to unload. While the Ruger american is a decent gun from what people have reported I don't like the plastic parts. It's just not what I think about when I want a hunting gun. It's more like a Remington 710 or Savage Edge than a Ruger 77.

My recomendations for you to look at with open sights are as follows:
Ruger 77 International with full stock.
Remingotn 700 BDL or ADL with floor plate or detachable mag.
CZ 550 (akward safety but awsome guns)
A classic pre 64 Winchester Model 70 with rifle sights.

If you look $800 is plenty of cash for a quality bolt action in 30-06 or 308. The 30-06 will probably be more common but the 308 is also a good round.