Help Me Shoot Better!

GunFool

Hi folks. Went shooting again today and at just 15 yards my shots are still going low and left of target. I think this is because I am anticipating the recoil and either pulling the gun or jerking the trigger a bit. Does that sound about right to you? It seems like when I try to ignore the trigger and just take my time squeezing it back, then the shot cathes me by surprise and I hit in the black. I guess I just need more practice trying it that way but I dont know how I'll ever get faster with it. Feel free to give any advice or suggestions...

Christopher II

Do you dryfire your pistol at home? If not, start. If you do, try the "coin test." Balance a dime on top of your pistols slide, and try to press the trigger so smoothly that the dime doesn't fall off.

Only take twenty-five (25) rounds of ammo with you to the range. This will force you to concentrate on making every shot perfect.

Get closer to the target. If I were starting outa new shooter today, I'd start them at five feet, and only move the target back when they're putting every shot in the X-ring, rapidfire, one-handed. That way, you get used to shooting tens and 'X's, and don't even know what it's like to put a shot outside the black.

Good luck.

Later,
Chris

Redlg155

Try taking a buddy with you to the range and have him load magazines behind your back. That way you don't know when a dummy round is in the chamber or a live round. This can help identify a serious flinching problem. The solution? Practice, Practice and Practice some more. The same technique can also be used to simulate stoppages and let you practice clearing drills if you are so inclined.

As for fast, Accuracy wins over speed everytime. One shot dead center is better than a whole magazine full of missed shots. Get down your principles and then work on your speed. Like anything worthwhile, it will not come without practice on your part.

Good SHooting
RED

jwise

Christopher II knows what he's talking about. When I read your post and saw the "low and left" note, I was already thinking "flinch." The way you get rid of a flinch is to train your muscles to squeeze the trigger w/ a spent 22 case balanced on top of your front sight. The dime is difficult, but the 22 shell is a sure cure!

J. Wise

Dave R

Gun fool, just to eliminate the obvious, are you sure your sights are properly adjusted/regulated?

If unsure, have someone else (whose accuracy you trust) shoot your pistol. Or use a Ransom Rest (a device which holds the pistol motionless). Or use sandbags and make sure the gun is motionless and on target when the trigger breaks. Do a few groups of 5 that way. If the resulting groups are all low-left, your sights just may need adjusting.

If you pistol's sights are fixed, you may need a gunsmith to adjust, or just alter your point of aim, if you can live with that. That's what the cowboys did in the old days.

GunFool

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I really do think that the 'flinch' is my problem. Like I said, when I forget about the gun going off and just let it catch me by surprise I seem to make some really good shots dead center. It's kind of hard to practice dry-firing or that balancing drill around the house - my fiancee is one of THEM (anti-gun types). Can't wait to go to the range again Sunday and just take my time with each shot...hopefully that will help too. I just wish I didnt have to drive 45 minutes to the nearest range!

Z

zook

Could also be your grip. I used to wrap my left index finger around the front of the trigger guard, until I read a post by someone who said that this practice will contribute to shooting low and left. I'll be darned if he wasn't right! Worked for me, anyway.

DAKODAKID

check out this website.........
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

You didn't say what kind of pistol you shoot
but make sure it is in the center of your hand.
Don't let the pistol fall into the hollow part
of your hand while you shoot.
Let the bottom of the pistol be braced against
the right portion of the heel of your hand.
(shooting right handed)
hopes this helps.

croyance

Nobody said it, but if you are going to dry fire, use snap caps or an empty shell.

It could be that you are shooting too much in a medium/large bore pistol. When I started shooting, I spent a lot of time on the range. I would actually get to the point of being flinchy. I would have to stop shooting for a couple of weeks to get rid of it. I did spend time dry firing in the interrum.

Take your time with each shot. Try to be aware of all your arm movement. In time, muscle memory will take over. I know that when you are starting, there is just so much of which to be aware. Take your time. Skill will come with practice.

If you are jerking the trigger, a trigger stop may be the answer. It will keep you from jerking down the barrel while the bullet is making its way out.

And really 25-50 shots a session should be the max if you are just starting. Unless you are using a .22 LR. I still regret not starting out on one.

DialONE911

I've found two things that have helped me.

First, shoot at longer distances with a .22. Shoot 100 rounds at 25 yards with a .22, then move to closer targets with the centerfire pistol.

Second, relax completely while shooting. When I first started shooting my .45, I strangled the grip and flinched like mad. Once I knew that the gun wouldn't fly out of my hands, I started shooting with the lightest possible grip with both eyes open, so my face would also be relaxed, which reduced blinking. I tried to do everything in a relaxed, fluid manner, avoiding any sudden, jerky movements. Concentrate visually on the front sight and mentally on smoothly squeezing the trigger.

Then, as I began to shoot more accurately, I worked up to a firmer grip for better recoil control.

croyance

I forgot to say, check out some of these posts on guys getting their girlfriends/wives into accepting and even liking guns. Otherwise you may have a bunch of arguements after marrage. Or no guns. For what it is worth, it seems better to get that issue out of the way.

GSB

Hey Chris, I hope you don't mean balance a dime on its *edge* on the slide! If you can do that, you're more man than I am.

GunFool - I'll add my voice to some of the others who recommend a) dry firing and b) getting a .22 LR. The .22 helped my shooting dramatically, because I could pay attention to details and still get the feedback of putting lead on paper. Besides, because of it's adjustable target sites, I am much more accurate with it at 15 yards than with my defensive handguns.

The dry firing helps you retain the kind of muscle control and firing discipline you need.

Another thing to pay attention to is proper trigger control. Dry fire and make certain you are not jerking the trigger, but applying smooth pressure until the break (I know I am fatigued and need to take a break when my trigger control breaks down because I've become "recoil shy" with my .45s).

One problem I have had with my defensive handguns beyond 7-10 yards is that the "tactical" sights many of them use obscure almost the whole target at 25 yards, and a pretty good chunk of it at 15, making consistent shots difficult for me. But I don't think that's your problem. As you said, it's most probably flinch. I think more of us had to overcome that than we'd like to admit!

LilJoe

My wife was having some problems like that and a goverment friend suggested that she do this little thing and for some reason it changed everything for her.. Don't know how or why.. But she went from everything all over and alot not even on the paper. To real tight groups. Let me see if I can explain this in words and not in person. Load a clip up and load the gun. Put your target about 6 feet away from you and reach out with the gun in your strong hand. Now shake your hand like you we shaking hands. And squeeze the trigger till your empty. Now look at your hits. If you can hit the paper when you are shaking your hand like this you can hit the target when your aiming. Don't know how or why this turned her around but it sure did.

Joe and Marci

Z

zook

Dry firing, and having a .22, helps me a lot, too. So did putting a few rounds through a friend's .44 magnum. After that, the .45 felt kinda wimpy. :)

I think the advice about taking your time and concentrating on trigger control is excellent, but I wonder if we beginners shouldn't also spend a little time just plain getting used to the feel of firing a large-caliber handgun. I went out the other day and put about 300 rounds through mine just about as fast as I could (I love reloading), without worrying too much about technique or hitting the bullseye with each shot. Instead, I concentrated on ignoring the recoil. Of course my groups were all over the place, and became progressively worse as I fatigued, but by the end of that session I hardly noticed any recoil at all. And no, my hands weren't numb. ;) Can't wait to see how I do today . . .

About that handshake exercise: should you try to aim each shot, or is it more of a point-shooting thing?

tony.s

I second the "getting used to the gun" idea. I need to shoot a certain amount of 9mm ammo in a certain timeframe or else I start getting trouble with the recoil. (Before you start to laugh at the idea of 9mm "recoil"... It's a light gun and not too wimpy ammo. Okay?) Of course, once that's out of the way, all these other points are very good ones. Just burning ammo doesn't get you far in the long run, after getting used to the gun you have to start training hitting things with it... :)