Help me pick my new wheel gun

Nagano21

I have the itch to add a new revolver to my collection... I like revolvers 10x's more than semi's but ironic enough I only own one! I have a sw637.

What I am interested in is a SW .357 mag, I have decided I want to keep it in J-Frame, prefer a shrouded or no hammer, and other than this am completely stuck on which one. The new body guards loo great but are bit pricey for me.

Give me some idea's from your personal experience... Pics would be a huge bonus too.

Thanks

Idahoser

good for you, great choice!

In a J frame and .357 Magnum you have three hammer types, Chief's Special (standard exposed hammer with spur), Bodyguard (shrouded hammer), and Centennial ('hammerless'). You can have blued, nickel plated, or stainless in a full-weight or you can have AirLite titanium/scandium.

A little larger frame was the old K frame, many people's favorite.

The L frame replaced the K as the 'medium' frame, it's a little larger. You can get them with 7 rounds.

Then there's the N frame, the large. The 27 was the original .357 Magnum before they had model numbers. You can get more recent ones with 8 rounds.

In all the larger frames you choose whether you want adjustable or fixed sights, there are some of the J frames with adjustable but mostly fixed. The small guns are not the best choice for target shooting, so that's usually the right choice.

Of course you know you can shoot .38 Special in any .357 Magnum, and most of your shooting is likely best done with .38. These guns have no problem with dry-firing, they're the best choice for that.

Around '82 they quit making the pinned barrels and (on magnums) recessed cylinders. Finding good old P&R Smiths is my favorite thing to do at gun shows. They're better than the new ones and cost a lot less.

S&W has recently started making a hammerless J-frame and calling it a Bodyguard. This confusing use of terms they've used in the past for other meanings is not part of any of the above. A Bodyguard traditionally is the shrouded hammer, where there is just a pad of the hammer exposed so you can cock for single action shooting if you need to. This is a silly thing for a pocket gun, I much prefer the Centennial, completely hidden hammer for this. The 640-1 is an outstanding hammerless, stainless, Magnum pocket gun.

Last edited:

Venom1956

The Bodyguard is interesting... I am not a huge fan of the cylinder release but... hey what can you do? I like the model 60 because it is a touch heavier for shooting .357s and you can get the usual J-Frame variants shroud, bobbed, etc. AFAIK I also enjoy the grips that come on the 3" model better then the smaller boot grips but that also is personal preference.

You could look into the GP100 or SP101 if your not totally hell bent on getting a S&W

Nagano21

Thanks for the replies... I am def leaning more towards the J-Frame, although not totally opposed to one slightly larger. My prim. reason for this purchase would be a carry gun, to shoot occasionally at the range, and of course I know I could put .38's through em, which I would prim. use at the range.

I am thinking the lighter the material the better. I have yet to see a bodyguard, so saying that, just seeing one may change my mind, but they look real nice.

Nagano21

Oh ya about the Ruger, I am only familiar with the gp100 since my brother has one... that one is bigger than I am looking for, although some day I would purchase a full size revolver. I guess I am particular to SW, but if I handled a SP101 it may change my mind... you think they are better built? Better make of revolver c/t sw?

Jayhawkhuntclub

Why do you want another J frame? You already have a good carry piece. You might have more fun branching out and trying something new. I'd consider: a Ruger sp101, a Smith 686 even a Blackhawk. You might find a whole new world. Now if you don't want to stray to far from what you're used to, go for a sp101 3".

Idahoser

Oh ya about the Ruger, I am only familiar with the gp100 since my brother has one... that one is bigger than I am looking for, although some day I would purchase a full size revolver. I guess I am particular to SW, but if I handled a SP101 it may change my mind... you think they are better built? Better make of revolver c/t sw?
oh hell no, they're just thicker. Rugers are bigger, heavier, and stronger, not better. No way.

Smaug

I wouldn't get a 357 J-frame, especially not in a snubby. They're no fun to shoot. J-frames can't take that punishment forever, and neither can you, in all liklihood. ;)

Even in my beefier Ruger SP-101, 3" barrel, I shoot one or two cylinders every now and then, and I'm cured for a good while.

For a carry gun, a 38+P snubby is perfect. I'm not 100% up on my S&W model #s, but I think your 637 is a snubby, right? Try something different. How about a GP-100 or 686 in 357, with a 6" barrel?

44s are even more fun, especially to a hand-loader. How about a Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt? If you handload, you can make affordable ammo with more punch than the 44 Magnum. If not, you can buy cowboy ammo that is quite easy to shoot.

Revolver ammo is expensive though, in general. I'd definitely consider hand-loading. It'll cut your ammo cost in half for revolvers. (see my signature) Maybe even consider doing that for your 637, and reap the cost & accuracy benefits right now?

I was considering a new revolver a week or so ago, but decided I've already pretty much got the bases covered with my Redhawk and SP-101. I decided to get laser grips for my SP to make it more accurate, instead.

Smaug

I disagree with Idahoser. Rugers are better-built, IMO. Part of it is in the design. S&Ws have side plates that are screwed on and this design makes them inherently weaker. They also only lock in the back of the cylinder, where Rugers lock front & back.

Factory triggers from Smiths can be better. (smoother, lighter) Not sure if this is the case any more; they don't do much hand-fitting or polishing any more.

The steel S&W uses is stronger, as it is forged instead of investment cast. But it is also thinner.

But Rugers are just built stronger. The strength of the steel is probably about the same, but Ruger designs are more stout. They're a more modern design.

jhvaughan2

I agree with JayHawk. You've got carry covered with the 637. .357 j-frames are not fun to shoot. If you want to have fun shooting .357 get a K or N frame. Plenty of models to shoot from. A 2.5" model 19 is quite carry-able and much nicer to shoot than any J. A 4" 19 or 5/686 will be even funner.

Shadi Khalil

OP, If you want the .357 j-frame then by all means, get one. However, I believe the new Body Guard is chambered in .38spcl only, I could be wrong. I'm on a revolver kick right now and basically considering the same thing you are. Right now I think I have it narrowed down to a S&W model 60 Pro Series. If you haven't already, you should try and handle one.

napg19

I've got a SP101 3" and a 637 and like swapping them for carry cause their both great guns. I would have bought a 686 if the price wasn't so high, had a greater feel and smoothness to it than the SP101. On the other hand I handled the LCR and it felt better and was smoother than the 637. But $100 + more. But I wouldn't sell either one cause their both great shooters for me.

8shot357

TMI to swallow?

You need to slow down, and take your time on a new gun. You allready have a gun so it's not a 911 for you right now.

From your OP, I think a 649. isn't that a J-frame?

Kreyzhorse

Between a S&W j-frame and a Ruger SP, I think that the S&W is a better gun. Certainly from what I've seen, and I own both a S&W 637 and a Ruger, the S&W has a much better trigger. The Ruger is still a fine gun mind you, but I think the S&W is just better.

With that said, if you really plan on putting a lot of loads down range, while heavier, the Ruger SP would be my choice. The extra weight will help tame some of the recoil that an Airweight won't.

Keep in mind, .357s can be a handful out of a snub nose. You'll likely end up spending most of your time shooting .38s anyway. With that, it opens up some additional options in the S&W Airweight series.

Nagano21

Thanks for all the responses...

I do need time as mentioned before, and am in no rush, but got the strong urge.
For a while I was considering a larger style such as a gp100 type, or 686 for a smith.
The only reason I prefer the J-Frame is because yes I do have a good carry rig with the 637, I just want one with a slightly bigger bite, that if I want to can shoot the 38's from. As of right now all the handguns I own, I carry from time to time, more so with the ones I purchased spec. for that job, I almost feel carrying a larger revolver like a 686 would be a chore.

I am not looking for a range gun either, that next purchase I want to get a SW .22 revolver with a 4+ inch barrel... ammo is killing me every time I go out to shoot.

Thanks again.

BigJimP

Since you already have a S&W mod 637 ...I don't see the point of adding a similar gun in .357 mag ( and they're not fun to shoot ..! ). If you have one of the newer modifications of the mod 637 / introduced in 1996 I think - they're rated for .38 spl +P ammo as well...

Personally, I think a K frame / mod 19 or 66 is very easy to carry in a good horsehide holster - in a 4". They're also a lot more effective beyond 21 feet ...and a lot more fun to shoot as well in .357 mag. Like you said / adding a model 17 or 18 ( K 22's ) would be a good fit as well.

I like training with a model 18 4" ( K22 Combat Masterpiece ) in .22 lr / and then mix in some range time with a model 19 or a model 66. You have the same weight and feel of the gun going in and out of a holster ...and shooting the .22 is a lot cheaper than shooting .38 spl or .357 mag ammo if you're not into reloading.

686's I think are just too big to carry ... the L frame isn't a lot bigger / but its enough to make it heavier / tougher to carry.

Personally, primarily because of the triggers and the smoothness of their actions / I'll take a S&W over any Ruger especially long term. The side plates on a S&W are not a sign of weakness / its a sign of precision.

Obambulate

I hoisted a 640 at a recent gun show and liked it very very much. Previously the 60 was my favorite J-frame .357 but the 640 in stainless has it beat as a pocket revolver. The concealed hammer makes it DAO.