Help me pick a new RF varmint

Bigfatts

I'm wanting to pick up a new rimfire varmint setup. Either .22WMR or .17HMR. Right now my varmint/squirrel rifle is a Weatherby XXII semi auto .22LR. It is the most accurate LR I've owned- or shot, outside of custom br/comp rifles- and outshoots my heavy barrelled bolt guns. The only rifle I have that competes with it is an old Mossberg 146b. Even my Win 52 was no contest. Anyways, I want something that shoots a little farther. I'd like to try blind hunting squirrels, found a good spot for it I think. Shots would be up to, maybe a little beyond 100 yds. Might take a rabbit or something should the opportunity arise. So far my thoughts include the Biathlon Basic and the Browning T-bolt. I like to be different. :D I do not want a Marlin, I know that much. Just haven't liked any of the ones I've seen or handled.

So what's your rig? And why do you like it? Please post pics.

Here's the XXII. Scope is a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40. Not really a varmint scope but as I usually shoot with irons it's plenty for me. In single shot mode I have all the control and accuracy of a bolt action.
IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

rshanneck2002

one real good scope in that price range., Muellers from MI., real good for the price they charge and tough as nails. have them on several rifles that i own from ARs to hunting rifles and shotguns.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I don't have any pics but my varmint rig is a Ruger MkII in .204 topped with a Mueller Eradicator 8.5-25X50. The gun is more accurate than I am and the scope is equal to Bushnell Elites costing 2X more.

Singlesix1954

I shoot a lot of p-dogs. On a big town that doesn't suffer from over shooting I start out with 22lr pistols from 20yds to aprox 75yrds, from there I shoot the 10/22 and G-22 out to 150yds or so. I switch over to my 22 mag and work my way out to about 220yds. Then I shoot on out to about 300yds with my 22 Hornet. From there I work on them with my 22-250, not much passed 500yds.
I never go alone and some of my friends use a combo of 22lr,17hmr,218bee,& 223rem.
I expected the 17hmr to perform better in the wind than the 22mag, but in my opinion it doesn't. It is very very acurate, and shoots much flatter than the 22mag. However the 22mag hits harder. Now that Hornady makes V-max 22mag rounds. I have no desire for the 17hmr.
Get what you want but go look at the CZ American with set trigger in 22mag I think you will like what you see.

Dearhunter61

bigfatts

I own one of these...it has always been a lot of fun to shoot but it is definately NOT the most accurate .22 I have ever owned! It is certainly good enough to squirrel hunt with but compared to my CZ 452 it simply can not compete. I can fire a ten shot group with my CZ and a 3 shot group with my Weatherby and the CZ will shoot a tighter group!

Bigfatts

I own one of these...it has always been a lot of fun to shoot but it is definately NOT the most accurate .22 I have ever owned!

I know, I guess mine is a fluke. I never expected too much out of it what with the pencil thin bbl and all. That is until I really started shooting it. I got it second hand but as far as I can tell it hasn't been modified. It's uncanny. Handy though, I've won beer money at the range a couple times with it. Shamed one guy with a tricked out 10/22 pretty bad.

Anyways, I have looked at the 452 but they're always way overpriced, when I actually see one that is. I'm also thinking about the Savage/Stevens Favorite. They come in WMR and HMR.

NWCP

My favorite rig out to 150 yards is my CZ 452 17HMR with a Timney trigger and Mueller scope. I'll use a Scoped 22WRM with the new Hornady ballistic tips out to 100 yards and for longer shots it's a CZ 527 American in .223. For squirrel and other small game under 100 yards I still prefer on of several .22LRs with iron sights. Life is good. :D