Help me pick a mil-spec 1911A1

Bruegger

I’m planning on picking up a mil-spec 1911A1 (or reasonable facsimile thereof) and would like some advice from folks who know their 1911s. I’ve shot a match quality 1911 in the Corps, so I have some familiarity with the design.

I was planning on buying a Sistema, because the price is right, but I’m open to buying a new or used mil-spec-type 1911A1 if there's a good enough reason to do so.

What I’m looking for a no frills 1911A1:
-mil spec appearance (parkerized, with none of those forward serrations, target-type sights, picatinny rails, bells, whistles, keychains, harmonicas, doo-dads, gizmos or thingamawhatzysises)
-100% interchangeability of parts with mil spec
-100% reliable
-with decent accuracy (gge whiz accuracy not important)
-reasonable cost (under $500, if possible)

I'll use it for casual target shooting. I expect to shoot mainly ball through it, but maybe SWCs.

Is the Springfield Mil Spec worth the price differential vis-à-vis the Sistema?

And I don’t care if the slide rattles.

Thanks much.

Bruegger out.

AC's & 45's

If you want a true mil spec get the Sistema and either bob the hammer or replace it. I don't know for sure about the New Colt GI rerun. I do know it is way, way out of your desired price range.

Auto Ordinance and Springfield so called mil specs have little extras added that I so far have not seen on any actual GI's.

Get yourself a Grade I, and finger it if possible before buying .

You will like it , trust me. I like mine a lot and mine has apparently been rode "real" hard and put up wet !!
Great gun great value...IMO!

AC's & 45's

If you want a true mil spec get the Sistema and either bob the hammer or replace it. I don't know for sure about the New Colt GI rerun. I do know it is way, way out of your desired price range.

Auto Ordinance and Springfield so called mil specs have little extras added that I so far have not seen on any actual GI's.

Get yourself a Grade I, and finger it if possible before buying .

You will like it , trust me. I like mine a lot and mine has apparently been rode "real" hard and put up wet !!
Great gun great value...IMO!

Here's a pic of mine..

Attachments

• my sistema.jpg
    my sistema.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 187

longeyes

I also recommend the Sistema. I've put about 500 rounds through mine (Grade 1, from cruffler.com through JLD Enterprises) with no hiccups. I put a beavertail safety grip on mine, through King's in Glendale, to avoid hammer bite. If you want an economy mil-spec 1911 it's hard to imagine doing better than the Sistema at current prices.

C.R.Sam

Nuther vote for the Sistema. Like you, I used the issue weapon for years. Did a lot of target shootin with em (armory tuned) and never knew what hammer bite was. Value for bucks.

Sam out.

Jim V

Sistimas' slides are reported to be "soft" and as such will not hold up as long as "harder" slides. The amount of shooting you say you are planning to do, the slide will last a real long time. I have A "soft" slide Ithaca that I put over 350,000 rounds through before the locking lugs went bad.

Another vote for the Sistima.

Bruegger

Thanks, all.

Sounds like Systema it is. CDNN has them for $299 but doesn't offer a "hand selected" option on them, apparently. I'll look into the JLD Enterprises Grade 1s.

Anyone know of other good C&R sources for Sistemas?

Many thanks,
Bruegger out.

J

Jeff, CA

What's the delivery time on the Sistemas through cruffler.com?

gyp_c2

Sistimas' slides are reported to be "soft" and as such will not hold up as long as "harder" slides. The amount of shooting you say you are planning to do, the slide will last a real long time. I have A "soft" slide Ithaca that I put over 350,000 rounds through before the locking lugs went bad.

HUH?

Since when were Ithaca slides supposed to be "soft"?

Ohh...I get it...you're makin' some sort of reference to the Sistema being as good as your Ithaca?! Is that it? I guess those must be some pretty good Ithacas...and Sistemas' out there... ;)

longeyes

My order through cruffler.com took about a month, but I sent them a money order at the beginning of September and the events of Sept. 11 and after may have complicated things. I know there seemed to be odd mail delays between Cruffler in VA and JLD in CT. Anyway, the gun eventually materialized and in good shape. I've heard that JLD may have run out of stock but has another batch on order. Check jldenter.com on that. Ask for Marcello.