Help me make the right decision.

Viper99

Have been wanting to buy my first 1911 but for the first one, I wanted to buy used. My target 1911 were the Mil-Spec, Loaded or a used Colt.

Not having had a lot of luck finding anything used that I liked, I put a down payment yesterday on the SA Loaded Champion.

My problem? the Loaded Champion is going to be $900 and for that kind of money my brain keeps saying "Colt"

So as you can tell I am kind of confused if I should keep the Champion or keep waiting for a Colt.

Regards

no right decison

Only you can make the right decision. I own several Springfield's and no colts. I like my springers, the are good weapons and I carry my Mil Spec daily. I have a loaded I target shoot and a GI just for fun. Colt is the original. You get what you think is better for you. I think I hear you saying you want a Colt. Get it if your heart is set on a Colt.

chadstrickland

I have owned both colt and springfiel..and dnt get me wrong I liked the colt but..somehow I just ended up with my old springfield gi the colt was more accurate..atleast to me it was..but I just liked the springer better

Viper99

If you had a choice between the Range Officer or Loaded Champion, which one would you pick? I won't be cc weapon, just a range toy.

NGIB

Probably the Range Officer as I prefer a bushed barrel and adjustable sights for a range toy. The Champion is a fine gun, but more for carry & defense IMHO...

Auto426

I'd say go with what you really want, which seems to be a Colt. $900 will put you right into XSE territory with plenty of models to choose from. A little bit more would get you a Gold Cup, which makes for a great range gun. Colt's are a little better built than Springfield's, and they are made entirely in the U.S. It will also have a higher resale value if you ever choose to sell it.

Smaug

It sounds to me like you will end up with a Colt, so you may as well start with one.

If you get the SA, I think you will still covet the Colt. This is what I'd do:

• Get a basic Colt. Basic ones are the originals anyway, right? The ones Colt built their name on. Target guns like the Gold Cup didn't come out until the 50s, I believe.
  • If you like 1911s enough after having the Colt for a while, think about getting a souped-up 1911 of some other type.

My opinion is that once it gets a bunch of doo-dad parts, it isn't really a 1911 any more.

It is like looking at a Civic for its good, basic values, then putting on a coffee can muffler tip, rice boy exhaust system, low profile wheels, superchargers. It may be "nice" but it is not really a Civic any more.

A target version of another gun can be just as good as a 1911 race gun. I shot better with a target version of an EAA Witness 45 and an HK USP Expert 45 than I ever have with a 1911.

1911s are a real classic, and there's some appeal to that. But they're not the be-all, end-all, IMO.

(BTW, don't forget to look at Paras. IMO, their basic quality is better than SAs. I went with a Para GI Expert instead of the equivalent SA because of this. If there were any Colts available for that kind of money that I could trust, I would have gone that route.)

Viper99

Thanks Jeremy,
Your reply makes a lot of sense. Why do I want a 1911? honestly becuase I want to say I have one in my limited collection and if I am going to get one, why not one that is "decent".

Having said that, while looking at all the used guns they have a my LGS, I kept thinking, hey I can get that SS 92FS and the H&K P30 for about the same money. Or the Walther PPS 9mm, 92FS and the Bersa .380.

Is amazin how many scenarios your mind presents you with when you're in the 1K neighborhood.

But not all is lost, I have 30 days to either pay the rest or bail out for a $25 fee which gives me time. At least I grabbed the Loaded before someone else did.

They also have an auction in which they have a Colt MK IV series 80 (officer's model). It ends tonight and my plan is to bid on it. If I get it, I will cancel my purchase of the Loaded. If I get priced out, still have the 30 days..:cool:

Auto426

Target guns like the Gold Cup didn't come out until the 50s, I believe.

The Gold Cup National Match's were introduced in the 1950's, but Colt's target gun heritage goes back farther than that. Colt first introduced the National Match models in 1933, which were basically standard Government models with match grade barrels that got a little extra fitting at the factory. There were fixed sighted and adjustable sighted versions as well.

I would have to agree on getting a basic model first though. I opted for a Springfield G.I. first, and found out that I don't really need all of the common "custom" features you see on 1911's today. My second 1911 was a Colt 1991, which has now got me hooked on Colt's. I love that gun and it's simple everything you need and nothing you don't attitude. Once you get a feel for the gun, you can determine what changes you feel are necessary.

Top_Notch

I was in the same place about 9 years ago. It was between the Colt and SA TRP. The SA had more of the features I wanted and I settled for a Loaded due to the TRP being about 5 bills more. I am happy with my decision and my Loaded has been excellent. YMMV.

skoro

Get the Colt

My problem? the Loaded Champion is going to be $900 and for that kind of money my brain keeps saying "Colt"

So as you can tell I am kind of confused if I should keep the Champion or keep waiting for a Colt.

I don't think you're confused. It sounds like you want confirmation for going after a Colt.

Do it.

You'll be second guessing yourself forever if you don't.