Help me ID this S&W Service Revolver

HenryTheNoodle

I have several handguns, but this is my first revolver, as a gift from my father-in-law. It's a service revolver from Jefferson County, KY - and has seen some use. I need to clean it up some, and there's a little rust as you can see on the ejector rod. Any tips for cleaning that properly would be appreciated.

What I can't tell though is what model I have. Help?

Attachments

• IMG_4991.JPG
    IMG_4991.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4996.JPG
    IMG_4996.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4992.JPG
    IMG_4992.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 79

MrBorland

Nice gun. Looks like a Model 19 to me. Open the cylinder - the model # should be stamped on the frame, in front of the cylinder.

jglsprings

Yep, model 19. One of the finest 357 revolvers ever made.

Would you please do me a favor and wipe it down with little gun oil and get the finger prints off? TIA!

HenryTheNoodle

LOL - sure thing. I have it on my bench for a thorough cleaning...soon! Should hit the range with it next week. I'm still somewhat flustered by the rust though. I hope it comes off with a wire brush, but will it stay off...

jal5

I don;t think I would wire brush that rust. Do a search here and you will find other ways of dealing with it. Maybe oil and 0000 steel wool or better yet bronze wool?

jglsprings

:eek:

Wire brush!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

How about a light gun oil and five ought (00000) steel wool - only gently, ever so lightly, after letting the oil work in. (I like "Kroil" penetrating oil)

HenryTheNoodle

On it...ordered the ultra fine steel wool today, already have a good selection of oils...will get it cleaned up this weekend and then on to testing it out. I'm pretty excited, but the bad news is that I'll probably go buy 2 more revolvers to keep this one from being lonely.

jtb1967

Use bronze wool and you'll won't have to worry about damaging the finish like you do with steel wool. The bronze will remove rust, but it won't hurt the bluing.

MrBorland

will get it cleaned up this weekend and then on to testing it out.

Read up on k-frames and .357mag ammo. If you plan on shooting .357mags, it'd be best for the gun if you stuck with 158gr.

the bad news is that I'll probably go buy 2 more revolvers to keep this one from being lonely.

There are worse things in this world. ;) If you shoot a lot, an "understudy" or 2 will help keep your 19 in good condition.

Enjoy your 19! We'll expect a range report soon. :D

dgludwig

but the bad news is that I'll probably go buy 2 more revolvers to keep this one from being lonely.

Even their name-Smith AND Wesson-suggests that these revolvers have a very gregarious nature. :D The good news is that adding more revolvers to your stable will help keep you from getting lonely. :)