Help me ID some GI .45 Match ammo please

Sevens

Apologies right from the get-go as I cannot provide a picture of this ammo. Here is a pic swiped from the web of boxes that are very, very similar to what I'm holding:
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/Craftsmanpics/Picture551_zps7d09517b.jpg

However, my box is different slightly in that instead of saying simply "MATCH", mine says "MATCH WADCUTTER" and the horizontal line in the picture appears to be a double line, mine has a single fine line. Also marked OLIN CORPORATION.

Also, in the picture, the lot number appears to be entirely stamped on the box whereas on my box, the leading part of the lot number is printed on the box just as all of the other information is printed, and only the last four digits are inked-stamped at the end.

The full lot number is indicated as LOT WCC-40-6005

The headstamp on each round is a simple W-W and .45 Auto as if it were commercial ammo, it's not a GI headstamp as I've been accustomed to seeing. (such as WCC93 or TZZ90 or the like)

Furthermore, while the cartridge case is traditional brass, the primer is more nickel plated or silver in color and it is a domed primer. This domed primer just makes me want to think this stuff is very old.

The condition of the box is absolutely superb. As I am not an ammo box collector, I am simply not qualified to call the condition "mint" but as a casual gun guy who has seen plenty of -OLD- stuff at gun shows, I'd say the condition of the box is awfully, awfully good if the ammo is old.

The bullets appear to be a 185 grain jacketed SWC, but I haven't pulled any to weigh them. Loaded rounds seem to weigh around 275 grains.

So it's obvious that this was an Olin/Winchester product but can someone tell me the age of it? And while I simply wouldn't imagine that it is corrosive ammo, the domed primer has me at least asking at this point if perhaps it might be corrosive? Did the US ever issue corrosive primed handgun ammo.

I have little doubt that you guys can nail this one, I look forward to hearing it. :)

Bart B.

Contact Winchester, give them the lot number and they'll tell you all about it.

Wadcutter ammo was sometimes called softball while 230 grain FMJ ammo was hardball.

Sevens

Did they ever make corrosive, government issued handgun ammo? Or only rifle ammo? The domed primer makes me believe it's old stuff.

When was the 185 grain semi-wadcutter bullet first intro'd?

Jim Watson

Of course they made chlorate ("corrosive") primed pistol ammunition, right up into the early 1950s just as with rifle ammo.

But the 185 gr jacketed semiwadcutter was, I think, developed commercially after WWII and is almost certainly noncorrosive.

I don't know how long the domed vs flat primers stayed on the market. At one time, you got four primer punches with your loading press, domed and flat, large and small. They were over that by the time I started reloading in 1970.

F. Guffey

I have a few boxes of WCC 45 ACP, all of my WCC cases have date stamps.

http://www.odcmp.org/1101/USGI.pdf

WCC 53 first safe year.

Then there is a foot note about mild steel cases, they are reloadable. I don't.

I have a couple of the domed primer seaters, they came from Herters.

F. Guffey

pctechdude

Actually have a good friend who was in the marine corps, and was on the pistol team. He's a distinguished marksman. He has some of this ammo from his time there and most of his is all 70's and 80's production. I have a bunch of the cases, and have shot it too, very good stuff.

Sevens

That's a very interesting and informative .pdf on the corrosive ammo.

What's confusing me a bit more is that my W-W head stamp is not represented. It seems quite odd that I have full GI packaging with a lot number and what appears to be commercial ammo inside it.

Nick_C_S

Winchester Cartridge Company 1990.

Probably for military use or some other volume purpose - LE practice rounds maybe.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure of this, but pretty confident.

Sevens

With these domed, nickel/silver colored primers in brass cartridge cases? I really doubt it's 1990.