Help me find the AR I want

mdd

I think I'll buy another AR-15. This is going to be a coyote hunting rifle because as my abilities at calling have improved I've seen more doubles come running and I'm bringing them closer. A lot closer. Last time out I brought two with twenty feet of me as they ran by trying to find me. I usually get one but when I move to operate the bolt it gives me away.
I've had two DPMS panthers and they were fine but nothing to get excited about. I know what I want but can't find it so that's where you guys come in. I like the Colt 6940 quite a bit but I don't want a 1:7 twist barrel. Actually, I want a slow twist a la 1:12 because I like shooting 40 grain vmax for the lack of an exit wound. I like the DPMS prairie panther for it's basic setup & available camo patterns tailored to hunting but there again the barrel twist is too fast. Also I don't know that I want to pay a grand for a DPMS when that puts me into spitting distance of better rifles. I like the Ruger SR-556 but I don't want to pay an extra five bills for a piston drive gas system when DI will do what I want just fine. I like the RRA Varmint model w/ 16" or 18" barrel but don't need the heavy barrel for just a few shots at a time. Should mention that I want to use a low or no magnification red dot on this rifle and probably cowitness with a quality set of folding irons.
I guess what I want is a slow twist colt 6940 or slow twist rra varmint possibly with the camo patterns of the dpms.
Am I s.o.l. or can I make this happen without compromising what I want in one manner or another? Right now the dpms is closest to what I want but I know I can get better quality rifles for around the same money.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

tahunua001

I recently read about a guy that had a FN 1:12 barrel that he wanted to build up. I know that palmetto state armory's guns are mostly FN parts so that might be a good place to start. anymore I find myself arguing with a brick wall when I say that my 1:9 sportical is a good gun because everyone else has been convinced that the only twist rate worth having is 1:7 so I wish you luck in your quest for a 1:12