Help me decide on a .45

GodblessAmerica

The .45 bug bit me awhile ago but I treated it with "don't wanna spend the money for the right one" logic and it went away for a bit. It's back! I went to the preferred local shop today and had a great experience. Got to talk to a local deputy about preferred carry weapons and casually to a TBI agent about concealed carry options and the law in this state. In between I handled another guy's Les Baer custom, an older S&W .45 like my 6906 9mm and a bunch of Colts. Looked online with the shop owners at higher end Springfields also but they didn't have any in stock (small but growing shop). They highly recommend the new Springfields, but the only one I've looked at was the GI and I didn't like the feel/balance of it. They like the Kimbers they have seen but think their customer service is terrible. I want this next gun to be my primary shooter and maybe a carry gun, but there also is another issue. All the Colt's I looked at today were either governments or compacts. I haven't seen any commander sized if I wanted to use it as both. How do they stack up against gov. size in feel and recoil? Too much information today! Need help! Wanna get one soon but want the right one. Only one range here to rent from but they don't have anything more than the ordinary 9mm and stripper .45's. Any recommendations are very appreciated.

Thank you and may God continue to bless America
Please vote. It matters to all of us and has a lasting effect. :)

WillBrayjr

i recommend taking a look at the sigarms p220 in .45acp, it's not a 1911a1 but it's a superb workhorse. sigarms pistols carry a no questions asked lifetime warrenty. their costumer service is second to non.

sageowl

Well, it comes down to whether or not you want a 1911 prettymuch.

I love my Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II. It's a 3" 1911 model and despite what many may say the recoil is not a problem. I've also shot a Custom II (5" 1911) and loved it as well. Scary what sight radius will do for you. Most people will tell you that for a combo gun (range/carry) a 4" commander-size is the best fit, and I will agree. Check out the Springfields, Colts, Kimbers, Paras, and whatever others catch your eye.

For non-1911 .45s ... I will agree with willjr ... SiG is a great gun. My department carries a SiGPro 2340 in .357 with Speer Gold-Dots. My range gun is a P229 in .40, and one of my carry guns a P239 in the same. I've not personally shot the P220 but every other SiG I've shot shoots in almost the exact same way, and they all shoot great for me. Again since you're looking for a combo gun I'd shy away from the P245 even though its a great gun.

Glocks are also good guns. Go find one in .45 to shoot and see what you think of the style if you haven't shot them before. Let us know what you end up with.

dairycreek

Can't beat the SIG P220!

You just can't do much better with a 45 ACP than the SIG P220. No pistsol is more accurate nor more reliable NIB than the SIG P220. Excellent customer service (although you probably will never need them). Just a great, great pistol. Good shooting;)

IanS

Give the SIG P220ST (all stainless) a try. It really is one of the best .45 autoloaders out there.

grawk

I LOVE .45s. I have an AR15 in .45, a kimber compact stainless, a colt combat commander, an HK Tactical .45, and am in the market for a p220. :) I also used to own one of the Olympic Safari 1911s.

I'd say if you want a 1911 that is great right out of the box, kimbers can't be beat. If you want the original, get the colt. Good guns, just send it off to a smith to get tuned. If you want a good auto in .45, HK and Sig both make great guns, just shoot em and figure out which you like.

WillBrayjr

a colt 1911a1 doesn't perform any better than a rock island 1911a1. for the price, the rock island is a tough act to beat!

gunrunner

I have the SIG GSR .45 very nice gun, shoots great, but its a full size 1911, i will lean toward sigs for out of the box fit and finish with a great gun. i have a springfield Ultracompact very nice but more recoil. the Kimber is very nice but its new price was high, maybe a nice custom II used , would be a great compromise.
:D

good luck,

at-home-daddy

If I understand your question correctly, you're looking for either a standard .45 or a commander-size 1911 .45. For the standard, I'd echo the other postings and suggest a Sig P220 or Sig P220ST (stainless frame and slide). For a commander-size 1911, I'd suggest a SW1911Sc (Smith & Wesson's Scandium commander).

Tom2

Full size me

If you want a non CCW gun, I would lean towards the standard full sized 1911.
I think that it just balances better than the shorter guns. I have a SA champion, stainless, all the super bells and whistles, but also a pretty much stock 1991 Colt. Nothing to not like about the SA, except the razor sharp edges lacking on the "melted" guns like Kimber. But I just like the feel of the longer gun better and the balance. Had an enhanced officers model once, and liked it, but parted ways with it. Had a Colt custom job with a full sized frame and a officers upper, but decided it was an abomination fairly shortly.

ddking

my 2 cents

In my opinion you have to ask yourself a few important questions to give yourself the best chance to love your purchase.
1) What is the use? If it is multi-purpose than I personally like a commander sized 1911. Although it is a little heavier than a polymer style I think a good rig makes a big difference. If it is just a range toy then I like a full size 1911. If it is for carry, I love my Glock 30.
2) What manufacturer is going to give you the best quality and product for your $$. I personally love glocks. They are very reliable and very affordable. I also love 1911's. I have thought about a Springfield before but I realized I was slowly creeping up into the $800 range and around $1,000 for a Kimber....so I asked myself the question... "if I am going to spend $1,000 why don't I understand what separates me from the next level". I found Les Baer, Ed Brown, and Wilson Combat to be the most highly regarded. I made the decision to spend more and feel like I got something special. I bought a Concept VII from Les Baer and I love it....actually it is for sale now....but, I still love it. Les Baer has several guns that you can get into for $1,600 new and they are sweet. Ed Brown is a little more expensive. Wilson also has the CQB which I have heard good things about. I didn't like the feel that is why I went with the Les Baer but it was still a good gun.
3) What fits my hand and feels comfortable to shoot? I really like my Les Baer again because it has a full grip for handling but a little smaller for concealment. The weight of the LB really helps with muzzle flip and the high end makers have such great accuracy. For instance, my Les Baer guarantees 3" groups from 50 yards. I also have found my Glock 30 to work pretty well with pierce extensions - as far as feel. I used to own a glock 17 as well which was awesome but smaller load than I ultimately wanted.

My advice, try to handle as many as possible and don't settle because something is cheap (my philosophy when I bought my Les Baer was that I only cried once - at the price tag...not the gun).

BTW, if you are interested, I am having to let go of my Les Baer. I have it for sale on thefiringline so let me know if you are interested. None of my opinion was about plugging my gun but if you are interested in getting into the high end 1911 I can give you a great deal.

good luck.

michael t

Get a COLT Gov or Commander . No Glock, :barf: Sigs :barf: or whatever By doing other wise you will just be wasting money Because sooner or later you will buy a Colt1911A1. Nothing else will do, because everthing else is just a copy.

IanS

1911's aren't for everyone. Neither are SIG's, Glocks, H&K's, XD's, or BHP's.

Some people have the luxury of finding out the hard way. Choose wisely. Try before buying

GodblessAmerica

Help me choose a .45

Amazing what a day and lots of good ideas can do for the decision making process. Thanks to the SIG supporters. You reminded me of how much I liked the feel of the P239 I looked at this summer. Didn't buy it only because it was finish and grip worn and I didn't have time to haggle with the pawnbroker. Thanks to IanS. I did not know they made a SS .45 version and I am severely tempted. I like the choose wisely advice too. DD, thanks for the considerable info. I had never seen a Les Baer in person until yesterday and I think based on that and your input they are now at the top of my list for a 1911. I thought Kimber was my favorite until yeserday. I'll get back to you on yours for sale. Then there was the advice from michael t that sums it all up: I'll want a 1911 anyway. You are correct. But I think I want a SIG too. You guys opened my eyes to the fact that I could get both for about the price of a high end 1911, (but still might need a Les Baer too). Ahhh, the wife is gonna kill me if she finds out I'm gonna get three new guns. At least she told our oldest daughter (age 10) that she thinks she should learn to shoot with me :) :) Gotta have enough guns so we don't have to share, right?
Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.
May God continue to bless America.
Again, please vote. Our decisions today affect our children, grand children and great grandchildren. :)

Hal

I had never seen a Les Baer in person until yesterday and I think based on that and your input they are now at the top of my list for a 1911. I thought Kimber was my favorite until yeserday
Let me say something as the owner of 2 Kimbers.
Kimber is to Baer as ribeye is to fillet.
(Current Kimbers are more like ground beef though)

jtb1967

I've got several 1911's but I've got a Ruger KP97 that's actually more accurate than my 1911's. If the 1911 isn't your thing, check out Glock, Sig, and the Ruger as well.

ddking

it's official you are bitten by the bug. I once thought that all I would want was one gun. I was wrong.

Having two guns for the price of one is never a bad thing as long as you are happy with the two. The Les Baer's are really nice though. I bought mine because I wanted one of the "best". Some people don't have that urge. Although, one important piece of advice is to make sure you can afford it because it sucks to have to get rid of it (for instance, my gun that i am having to sell will end up being a 30-40% loss) down the road for financial reasons.

I haven't shot a sig but I hear good things about them. whatever you do be smart and do some research....you will make the right choice.