Help me correct grip

chris in va

I'm shooting left when point/snap shooting steels. It's not flinching, my grip simply has the muzzle aiming left. I caught myself at practice the other day and noticed the front sight was off target.

Should I wrap my hand around a little further when drawing? It's on my P01 BTW which has a smaller circumferance than the larger 97b that I normally use.

Noreaster

Sounds like the handgun grip may be too small or too large. If you have adjustable backstraps try a different one. If not then practise your form keep your draw and presentation almost mechanical with the same movements each time. Also get the same grip on the stock every time with the web of the hand high up on the beaver tail.

With my Gen 4 glock I have a better shooting grip and I'm a little more accurate with the large backstrap, but I found myself shooting left during stress fire and or speed shooting during competitions. I went back to the medium and the problem went away. I had a similar, but not as bad, problem with no backstrap and having too much finger on the trigger.

RickB

It sounds like you need to adapt to the smaller frame. I was amazed by how much difference there was in my point of impact when changing the backstrap on a gun with which I was very familiar, so if you have a lot of time on the 97, then it will take a while to adapt to the smaller 75. When I change to a less familiar gun, I just expect to have to use the sights.

Japle

When I'm shooting steel with my 22/45, I have to slide my hand around to the right in order to get the gun to come up with the sights aligned on the target. On Smoke & Hope, I can usually get the first shot off in about 0.40 sec, but only if I'm gripping the gun correctly. With the right grip, the gun will shoot where you look on the first 4 targets and be damn close on the stop plate.

Take your time and get your grip right before "shooter ready". The RO will wait for you. Not that he has a whole lot of choice.

WESHOOT2

close your eyes

Set your body and feet to have your eyes-closed draw leave your gun properly on target.

Practice without speed; learn position and motion first.