Help me come up with a value?

Bigfatts

So I'm thinking of selling my single shot to fund something that will be more practical for me. I love it but I'm a shooter, not a horder and I want something that will make it to the range with me more often (I really want a .470 Capstick). Here's a pic:

pix1305046390.jpg

pix1305046312.jpg

Here's what I know about it. It's a Meffert Guild rifle built- I was told- in the 1890's. Single shot break action 9.3x72R with auto tang safety, full octagon bbl, 2 leaf flip up sights, double trigger. There is slight cast to the stock. Bore is average, dirty. Here's the kicker: It's been refinished. Re-casehardened and the bbl reblued.

Now, I saw a gun go on an auction site that was nearly identical to what I have here except it didn't have the light engraving of mine and someone had added claw scope bases to it. It was original finish. It sold for just under $2700. Now I don't expect to get that much for this one but any idea how much being refinished affects the value? As a shooter it is solid and about as accurate as you can expect to shoot a sub 6 pound monster.

Anyone have any idea where I could start for a price? Any input is appreciated.

Jimro

Wow. I would start at 1,800 with a reserve of 2,100 and see if the bidding goes up from there. The reblue and case harden make it less desireable to a collector, but it should still fetch a pretty penny. The last time I saw a rifle in 9.3x72 it was Saddam's custom Merkel double rifle.

Jimro

Bigfatts

Thanx for the input. I'm hoping to find someone with a trade to avoid crazy auction fees. Maybe I'll put it up on Accurate Reloading.

Jimro

I think you could do better by getting a CZ magnum action and rebarreling to 470 Capstick. Last I checked the magnum actions were going for a bit over 500, a rifle barrel for around 300 (depending on manufacturer) and putting the two together is normally a reasonable fee from a gunsmith.

Jimro

Bigfatts

I have thought about that too. I had actually planned to use a CZ action to build a .550 Express but that never pannd out.

T. O'Heir

"...Lutz..." Florida?
"...really want a .470 Capstick..." Ammo starts at $34.50 per 5 on a Midway close out. $128.99 per 20 for 500 grain RN solids. $40.99 per 20 for Quality Cartridge brass, on back order. Suspect you know that sort of thing though.
"...avoid crazy auction..." Avoid E-Bay too. They'll give part of your money to Sarah Brady. Accurate would have the market.

lipadj46

Avoid E-Bay too. They'll give part of your money to Sarah Brady. Accurate would have the market.

You can't sell guns on ebay. Gunbroker's fees are pretty reasonable and worth it for the national exposure.

T. O'Heir

"...You can't sell guns on ebay..." Right you are. Silly me. Part of their anti-firearm ownership agenda. They still accept parts etc and still give money to Sarah's bunch.
"...worth it for the national exposure..." Not for a very, high end, single shot, in a European cartridge though.