Help me choose

What magnum caliber for 1,000 yards

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thesheepdog

Alright, i know i just put out a thread reagrding a 7mm mag vs a .300 mag, and i appreciate everyone's answers.

For everyone else, i am wanting a magnum rifle, capable of taking large game, and something i can use for 1,000 target practice with excellent BC.

I reload, so ammo prices shoudn't be too bad.

I have owned a .308 and a .300 win mag (both were traded for other guns), so i don't think i want another .308 win, rather something with a little more punch behind it, and flat shooting out to 1,000 yards, while still holding good ballistics (high BC).

I have a 6.5 Grendel SPR that i will taking out to 800 yards one day-when i can find a range. So this "magnum" rilfe is a purchase in the near future, after i am hitting metal at 800+ with my Grendel.

mapsjanhere

Above the 300 WM, you got 300 RUM, 338 RUM/Edge and the 338 Lapua. 300 RUM are available in standard rifles, 338 Lapua is usually only chambered in the $2k and up class. 338 Edge is a custom chambering, based on the 300 RUM, a tick bigger than the 338 RUM.
300 RUM with a 168 Berger is nice, the 338 Edge usually uses a 300 SMK. I skipped the 338 Lapua for cost reasons, even the brass is $3.

Buzzcook

Of the three you mention .300win mag is the most popular.

The most popular cartridge for 1000yds is 6.5-284 iirc.

James R. Burke

I am not really up on the big boy's for long range etc. I once had a Ruger No 1 Tropical in a .416 Rem mag that I reloaded for. I had a Barnes solid copper hollow point 325 grain at just over 3,000 f.p.s. Pretty fast for a bullet that size. No signs of presure at all. I was so cautious I even tryed it when it was really hot out just to make sure. I was still under max. I never tryed thought at that distance. Good luck. Jim

azredhawk44

I'm enamored of the service rifles right now and shoot nothing but .223 and .308 for the time being. Once I'm shooting well enough that I can hold my head above water in a real match I might branch out to scoped bolt action shooting in F-class or precision rifle matches.

I've been "what if"-ing my caliber for such a choice for a long time, because I'm a southpaw and I'll have a devil of a time getting whatever caliber I end up choosing in the action I want.

Right now I'm leaning towards the .280 Remington. Basically a 7mm Remington Magnum, without the word "magnum" on it nor the belt.

I intend to use such a gun as a fun F-class/precision toy as well as a hunter, so I would probably end up being able to increase/decrease the weight of the stock based upon whether I was hiking in the hills after antelope and elk, or on a controlled firing line shooting for sub-MOA targets.

I've still got plenty of things to work on with my service rifles first, though.