Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Glock

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • M&P

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

john1911

I'm going to come into a little money next month ($500-$600). I've decided I need a new handgun. I've narrowed the choices down to the following (I think):
Ruger SP101 in .357 mag.
Ruger Super Blackhawk 4 5/8" SS.
Springfield Armory XD 5" 9mm.
Glock 17.
S&W M&P 9mm.

I like the idea of the Ruger SP as a "slip in the pocket when I go out at night to ..." gun. I don't currently own a .357 and would have to buy reloading dies and components.

The SBH as a hunting/walking around in the woods handgun. I already have a Ruger BH in .41mag and a RH in .44mag. I do reload .44 so that is a plus to the SBH.

The three 9mms. I don't have any 9mm handguns. I'm thinking everybody should own at least one? Ammo can be found reasonably priced sometimes. Would make a good gun for the wife and kids to shoot. I don't have much experience with the three models listed, what is the best?

I've got the rimfire bases covered and living in Illinois, ccw is but a distant dream. This will basically be a "just because" purchase except for the SBH which I could use to hunt.

Any comments?

Silvanus

I would get a 9mm. You're right, everyone should have at least one.
Which one is a personal choice, though. Nobody can tell you whether you shoot a Glock or XD or M&P the best. You must find out for yourself what suits you. I for one love Glocks, but I don't like the XD at all. I haven't had the chance to shoot a M&P yet, but it seems to be a great design, too. I think you can't go wrong with either one.

stevelyn

Another vote for the 9mm for all the reasons you stated. Just pick the one that will fit everyone best overall.

My vote will probably be in the minority:
I'd go with the Ruger SP and get the .357 dies and such. The 9mm is a great choice no matter which one you go with as long as IT chooses YOU. However, I want to disclaim that I don't in any way advocate using the SP as you stated. In Illinois, your rights are completely infringed on CCW...I wouldn't do it.

john1911

I think you should get all of them. can't help with the order though.

Best idea yet!

However, I want to disclaim that I don't in any way advocate using the SP as you stated. In Illinois, your rights are completely infringed on CCW...I wouldn't do it.

I don't do it in public. Sometimes I need to go down to the barn after dark and like to carry something in case a varmint appears.

Majic

The SP101 is a bit heavy for a just slip in your pocket gun. Maybe you go try that that idea out first. Also seeing how you can't conceal carry why should that attract you.
The short barreled SBH would not be the greatest hunting revolver as you already have 2 capable revolvers. Now if the SBH was to have a longer barrel than your other 2 revolvers and be dedicated to hunting then I could understand it.
The 9mm listed I see in the same catergory.....a dime a dozen. Not much different between the three so picking one is like picking the other except for the fans of the various brands. Look at a decent steel 9mm. You will not be carrying so the light weight of polymer need not be a factor and a heavier pistol will have less recoil to ease the shooting for the wife and kids.

Taurus_9mm

I voted for the XD since it's my intention to have one (that is if I can stop purchasing other firearms that grab my attention first) :p

Kermit

2 guns on your list really call out to me...the Sp101 and the G17. I prefer the G19's size over the 17, but to each his own ;) I like the SP101 -- esp the bobbed hammer version (sweet!) and AFAIK, Ruger has yet to come w/ a Hillary Hole :rolleyes:
If I had to pick one to recommend to someone, I'd probably go w/ the versatility of the 357 magnum wheelgun -- practice w/ the 38 specials and carry / HD w/ the magnums!

rednecker92

i say either go for the .357 or get a beretta or taurus 92fs but really i think its deciding if u want a revolver or a semi