Help me choose my CCW

Driveout02

I have $250-$300 to blow at a gun show that's coming up here in Omaha, and as we recently got concealed carry passed here, I was thinking...
All I really know is I want something small that's not plastic. No weaker than a .380. I realize that's not a whole lot of money, but last year I walked away with a $70 Rossi 5 shot .38, and it looked like crap but shot very well. I figure with $250 I might find something decent. Ya'll have been to plenty of gun shows. Is there anything in that price range I could hope to find?
~Jake.

sholling

Just bored and looking around (sorry mostly found plastic!), how about (never handled one) a brand new Ruger P95 9mm w/15rd mag for $299? Again I've never fired one but how S&W SW40VE40 for $317? The Taurus Millennium Pro in 9mm 40s&w, or 45acp for $297-307. All brand new autos with full warranty. You just pay your local FFL's transfer fee. The Ruger (others chime in here...) probably has the best reputation of these, the Taurus (handled them only) and Charter Arms look like they would conceal best. I'd go with these over shopping at a gun show anyday.

Charter Arms Bulldogs in 357 or 44spl. I had their 44 years ago and liked it for what it is... a belly gun.

I'm not sure what the Bersas are made from but hey brand new for $295.

Driveout02

I had a P97, and loved it (very reliable), and although it was a .45, it had very little recoil. But I got rid of it b/c of the plastic.

p.s. but wow, went to that P95 link, and that is tempting :)

Driveout02

also.. why would you prefer not to shop at a gunshow? no warranty? don't know where the gun's been? Just curious..

For that kind of cash you could get a makarov, a bunch of magazines, and some ammunition.

I really like the makarov. 9x18mm is a little spicier than .380 and the damn things never quit.

sholling

I've just never found great deals on new weapons at a gun shows, and like to know the history of used ones.

Astrodokk

I've been looking for one too, and I was offered a used Bersa .380 for $250. It was a little heavy and bigger than I was searching for, so I passed. I didn't get the feeling it had plastic but I could be wrong. Also, new Hi-Point was about $200. I didn't trust the price (too cheap?), but later I read that owners find it a very acceptable and reliable piece for the price. At this time I'm thinking of waiting until the sub-compact 9mm comes out at the same size as the .380. It may be a long wait until they get on the approved list here in California, so until then, I'll be getting either a Seecamp .32 or a Beretta Tomcat .32., (they are on the list). They are really small for concealability and the caliber doesn't worry me. The first rule of engagement is "bring a gun". But I've been told that if pondering .380, go 9mm if the gun is almost the same size. Cheaper ammo too. The larger the caliber, the less comfortable as a CCW pocket pistol unless using a load bearing holster.

BCE_.357

Forget the Gunshow

I love going to the gunshow, to look around and even to purchase accessories. However I wouldn't get a gun there because I don't know where the gun has been. If you get a new gun from a retailer, you get a warranty. Plus you know for a fact that the gun is new.

I would wait a little while until you can save up a couple hundred more dollars. $200-300 really isn't much to work with when you are talking about a good firearm that you are going to be trusting you life to.

Wait until you can spend about $500.

Get a good S&W .357 revolver. You can load .38special in that also. I recommend the 686 with 2.5 inch barrell.

If you were open to polymer, I would say get a Glock. But you said no plastic.

allenomics

Try to buy from an individual. You'll save lots of cash. Many gunshows don't have good deals. But they are fun to check out.

ThatGunGuy

i'd say a bersa .380. i have one as my ccw and love it. accurate for the size. the only plastic on it are the grips, but those can be changed to rubber or wood for around 20-30 dollars. very reliable too, i have 300-400 rounds(FMJ and JHP) through mine without a glitch at all. down here in GA they're about $230-$270 depending on the finish. believe me, they're well worth it.

Perldog007

I own a Hi Point C9 and really like the weapon. Would have to recommend against it for pocket carry. A good Pocket holster would be required and you may find it too heavy. Also, not sure I trust the counterweight and safety to prevent AD in case of heavy impact.

I would be afraid that the safety would "walk off" without a stiff sided holster like the FOBUS OWB paddle.

Your Mileage May Vary, but as much as I like my C9, I would be much more likely to carry that Rossi .38 in a pocket holster. If I do ccw mine, it will be in the fobus paddle - or israeli carry in a panny pack type of rig.

P.S. the high point magazines often require tweaking for best (read reliable) performance. If you can't or won't you should probably pass on these guns. You can always send them back for adjustment. The phone techs will try to embolden you to try the job yourself before letting you cop an RMA.

Last edited:

Musketeer

find a used Firestar M-43

9mm
Single Action
Tack Driver
Compact
All Steel (no fracking tupperware!) and built like a tank.

CCW rigs are available, I got mine from Blade Tech (UCH).

Driveout02

y'know, I almost picked up one of those Firestars in .45 in a pawnshop once for $300.. it was stainless, kind of heavy, but felt VERY solid. I like that suggestion, I'll keep an eye out for another one of those.

Driveout02

No, I just think a gun should be made of steel and wood. I don't even like the plastic stocks on some rifles. I'm not saying plastic is inferior (in fact, I'm fully aware it will outlast my great, great, great grandchildren), I just don't like the look or feel of it.

Musketeer

That stainless was actually "Starvel". I think it is basically a hard chrome finish but the gun itself is not stainless.

My 9mm M-43 is blued in bad need of a new finish. I wipe it down each evening though and it still works fine.

I too like steel and have no desire for a plastic pistol. These suckers are built like tanks. The only reason they are no longer in production is because of the rush to mini plastic wonder nines. Single stack is fine with me though, espeically in NY with a mag limit in place. I also want a heavy gun that absorbs those 9mm +P rounds nicely.

poppy

I like your question and will answer it. I too have gone to gun shows to "blow" a few hundred, so I can relate.

You don't have too many options, but here are some:

Bersa. I have a 380 pistol purchased at a gun show for about $200 used from a private seller and am happy with it. There may be 9mm versions available.

CZ 82. If you like the Makarov caliber (9x18), these CZ's are a pretty good deal. I got a nice one from a dealer at a show for under $300.

Others have mentioned Makarov's. There may still be some Bulgarian versions for under $250.

I have been looking for a Star BM 9mm. At one time they were available for less than $200 with two mags. Around here, the prices have gone way up ($300 +/-).

I am a little surprised that you would consider the Ruger P95. I love mine, but it's not exactly a CCW pistol.

Don't listen to the guys who say buy plastic or wait until you have more money, etc. I have my share of plastic pistols, and I also have my share of high end handguns, but it's also a whole bunch of fun to look for the bargain basement stuff.

Have fun at the show and let us know what you blow your cash on.

dead-eye-ked

Save your money.

Save your money and get a Sig Sauer P229 9mm and you will have a weapon that will stand up to use, abuse, and the years. You will have a weapon you can turst your life and the lives of others too.