Help me choose G17 Vs G19 Vs G48 non carry shooter only Gen 4 or 5? Mos?

Joe.G

Hi, I am getting ready to pick up a Glock in a 9MM though the Glock blue Label program, The gun will be a MOS with Night sights optics to be added at a later date. I have plenty of pistols but am lacking in the 9MM platform, I am looking to start training my children and want that to be on the 9MM Platform. I have 2 G22 One is my issued Duty gun and the other is my personnel, I have a G23, G27 and G43X. My G23 is my favorite out of the bunch and have to keep and use only one that would be it, With this in mind I am leaning towards the G19, I do understand that the G17 would probably be the better target use only gun ( which is what this gun is for ) . The G48 I do like it but not sure it really is more then a fad or someone who likes thinner Pistols.

Basically looking for you guys to help with my choice, the G19 is in the lead at the moment. Gen 4 or 5?

Thanks

jetinteriorguy

Depending on how old and how big your children are, I would go with the size that fits them best physically. I feel if they are comfortable with the gun it will help them become proficient faster and easier and be more of a positive learning experience.

Shadow9mm

Depends on how big your kids are. Small hands do better with small guns. And if your looking to start training a 22lr would be a much better choice unless they are in the 10+ age range and can handle the gun.

If your talking about putting a red dot on it, the extra barrel length of the 17, imho is a moot point, get the smaller gun.

If you love your 23, get the 19. Same thing, less recoil.

Start by having your kids handle what you have. See what fits their hands, see what they like. You can go over safe handling, and weapon manipulation to get then familiar with the glock platform while you do.

Last edited:

Joe.G

I carried a Gen 3 22when I started and switched to the Gen 4 22 when they came out, We field tested a different brand .45 but we ended up staying with the G22 ( talking about switching to 9MM hopefully not any time soon ) . I have .22LR Revolvers and , .38 S&W, .38 Specials's .357 MAG, .25/.32/.380/5.7 and so on so I really don't want to buy a Glock in .22LR unless I was bored and just wanted to add one. I am pretty much set on a 9MM at the moment. Only think I don't like about the Gen 5 is the Mag release on both side.

Mikef262

I recently had the same debacle you are currently in. My duty gun is a Glock 17, same size as your G22. I had a Glock 19 I carried for years and eventually I stopped carrying it. It was too bulky for my liking. So I have landed on a Glock 48 and couldn't be happier. I did buy the Shield Arms metal mag catch and three of the 15 round magazines. I've had issues, but admittedly I need to shoot more with them.

All that being said, I believe we get two Blue Labels a year, so maybe go with the 19 since you like your 23. Later down the road you can get a 48 if you decide you'd like one.

Joe.G

Yes I am able to get 1 More Glock this year, I do have 1 Shield arms 15 RD mag at the moment for my 43X which share mags with the 48 from what I see.

kilotanker22

Non carry would eliminate the G48 for me. I have large hands and find the grip on the G19 to be on the smaller limit for my hands to hold comfortably, so for me, the G19 is out as well. For general use meaning target/home defense/fun fun, I would go G17 MOS. Gen four or gen five, with the preference for gen five

TunnelRat

I carried a Gen 3 22when I started and switched to the Gen 4 22 when they came out, We field tested a different brand .45 but we ended up staying with the G22 ( talking about switching to 9MM hopefully not any time soon ) . I have .22LR Revolvers and , .38 S&W, .38 Specials's .357 MAG, .25/.32/.380/5.7 and so on so I really don't want to buy a Glock in .22LR unless I was bored and just wanted to add one. I am pretty much set on a 9MM at the moment. Only think I don't like about the Gen 5 is the Mag release on both side.

Do you mean slide release on both sides? The Gen 5 magazine release is the same as the Gen 4 in that it’s swappable but not on both sides at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wild cat mccane

I think slim will stick around. That said, what turned me off to the G48 is it's got the Gen5 barrel, but the outside is Gen4 like and if you look online, there are a few (Harrysholster for example) noting the variation in trigger is more like a gen4 than a gen5.

Also, while the Shield 15rnd mags work for most, they don't work always. If that matters to you...it mattered greatly to me that it might not work. In my hands, the G48 was way better feeling than my Gen5 G19.

Truly, after getting the G19 I'm enjoying it for size alone. Trigger is good, but heavy. I think The Walther or HK VP9 has the "target" area for triggers on polymers. I can't fault the Walther PDP trigger at all, though I hate the size of the gun. I dislike my VP9 for some reason, but it doesn't have the bulk of the PDP.

If you are set on the Glock, no, the G48 isn't a fad. But Gen5 triggers, from my fingers are better. But there are better. I think even a cheap Canik Mete STF or TFSx at under 400 or 450 will hit targets better.

Jim Watson

My G23 is my favorite out of the bunch and have to keep and use only one that would be it, With this in mind I am leaning towards the G19, I do understand that the G17 would probably be the better target use only gun ( which is what this gun is for ) . The G48 I do like it but not sure it really is more then a fad or someone who likes thinner Pistols.

Basically looking for you guys to help with my choice, the G19 is in the lead at the moment. Gen 4 or 5?

Sounds like you have your mind made up.

I would get a Gen 5; Glock has given up on reverse compatibility of parts and I would want the latest model which will be supported longer.

A cheap way out for the kids would be a 9mm conversion barrel for one of your .40s; they seem to work well for people who wish to buy big and shoot small.

eflyguy

I'll be the contrarian here.

My daughter and I started USPSA when she was in high school. She shoots a G17, I have an XD, but we swap out and also regularly practice "drills" with every pistol we own. I carry a G43, she carries a Shield. I'll toss my 1911 in there for fun now and then as well.

We strongly adopt the "shoot what you have" vs. any particular pistol because of gen this or that. They all go bang when needed and we have no trouble adapting.

I am in no way an expert shooter (she is.) Just saying, fretting over a particular model seems pointless.

wild cat mccane

Except the Gen5 brings real improvement. Trigger better and barrel change are real changes.

If starting from scratch, why would someone buy the gen4.

Otherwise I do agree switching between guns is way overstated. Agreed.

Joe.G

I wish I could find a reasonably priced 9mm frame and barrel to go onto a G23 frame as I have a legal frame that needs a slide.

iosteyee

I have a Gen 3 G17 and G19C. Lots of good thoughts above, my 2 Cents:
-What fits best in their hands?
- Longer barrel=longer sight radius and less recoil, more fun to shoot.
- .22 trainer is a quiet, low recoil way to ease folks into shooting handguns.
So, I'd say G17 between the two.

reynolds357

Hi, I am getting ready to pick up a Glock in a 9MM though the Glock blue Label program, The gun will be a MOS with Night sights optics to be added at a later date. I have plenty of pistols but am lacking in the 9MM platform, I am looking to start training my children and want that to be on the 9MM Platform. I have 2 G22 One is my issued Duty gun and the other is my personnel, I have a G23, G27 and G43X. My G23 is my favorite out of the bunch and have to keep and use only one that would be it, With this in mind I am leaning towards the G19, I do understand that the G17 would probably be the better target use only gun ( which is what this gun is for ) . The G48 I do like it but not sure it really is more then a fad or someone who likes thinner Pistols.

Thanks
Target purpose is main use? 34

Shadow9mm

I wish I could find a reasonably priced 9mm frame and barrel to go onto a G23 frame as I have a legal frame that needs a slide.
They make conversion barrels. You can get a 9mm barrel for your 23. And some g17 or g19 mags and be good to go.

Joe.G

Yes I know they make conversion barrels, But I want to make or have dedicated guns, I have a conversion barrel for my .45 Gap.

Shadow9mm

Yes I know they make conversion barrels, But I want to make or have dedicated guns, I have a conversion barrel for my .45 Gap.
It's your money.... If you want another gun, get one.

As far as the release, its the slide release on both sides, not the mag release. Although you can swap the mag release to the left side if you want to.

Again, if its about training the kids, what fits their hands, what they can control, and what they like is paramount. My oldest had a bit of a hard time with my 19 until he was a little over 10, and it is still a challenge for him. I bought a little semi auto 22 for the kids to train with, money well spent.

jmr40

I've had G17, and G19. I'd highly recommend getting the G19 along with some spare G17 magazines and use grip sleeves on them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019745366?pid=997199

That is what I do. While you may not plan to carry it the G19 is going to be easier to if that ever changes. I don't shoot the larger G17 any better and with the longer magazines I have the option of having a G17 or G48 grip and a couple more rounds. Makes a versatile gun.

If you choose the G17 or G48 you can only use the longer mags.

In fact my most versatile Glock is a G19 that I cut the grip down to G26 length. It works with the 10, 15, 17, and 33 round mags. The shorter grip conceals almost as well as a G26 with the slightly longer barrel and slide of a G19.