Help me choose a CZ

Cerick

So after a lot of thinking and research I decided I want to buy a CZ. The problem is I can't decide which one to get. I know I want it in 9mm, and I know I want it to be all metal. It will primarily be a range toy.

So I was almost set on getting a SP-01 already customized by Cajun Gun Works. Then I thought for $1,000 I could spend $500 more and get a tactical sport orange. I love the idea of the single action trigger because I've never been a huge fan of DA/SA but I have trouble justifying spending that much on a competition gun that I may never shoot in a competition. So that brought me to the shadow 2. I can't find one for the life of me online, but my other thought is that will it me that much better of a platform than a SP-01 with the CGW work done? Sorry to be so long winded but I would appreciate some direction.

FWIW my brother bought a SP-01 tactical (stock) and I started shooting it really well and like it a lot.

sirgilligan

It is exciting to get a new firearm. I hope you enjoy your decision.
You do not share what firearms you currently enjoy and what types of shooting you currently find time to do.

Buy what you can afford so that you don't feel guilty if you don't shoot it as much as you like.

My first CZ is an 85B, bought it used and love it. Still have it. Don't see any immediate plan of ever getting rid of it.

My I suggest you get a more "common" CZ model and put three to four thousand rounds through it.

However, I can not say it wouldn't be cool to just by the one you are dreaming about.

So good luck. If you have only shot your brother's a few times I think you could just wear his out. :)

redlightrich

The SP01 is a very nice ( but heavy) 9mm. The SP01 Tactical is similar, but with a decocker. I prefer the regular SP01.
Finding a Shadow 2 will be difficult. CZ ships sporadically.

BTW, the orange will need the mags modified for NJ.

It might be a good idea to buy the CZ you choose, and shoot it as it is for a while before having it modified. You may like it as it is, and if you do decide to mod the gun, you will feel the benefit thru point of comparison.

Good luck with which ever you choose

Rich

Cerick

For pistols I have a glock 17, Springfield XD 45, beretta PX4 storm (40) with thousands of rounds through them. I'm looking for something that will pretty much be a range toy. Soft shooting and easy to get tight groups. My budget is around 1,100. I could stretch it if I really want to.

DubC-Hicks

You could get the CZ75b Single Action if you don't want DA/SA. They run $450-550 and are quite nice out of the box.

sirgilligan

For pistols I have a glock 17, Springfield XD 45, beretta PX4 storm (40) with thousands of rounds through them. I'm looking for something that will pretty much be a range toy. Soft shooting and easy to get tight groups. My budget is around 1,100. I could stretch it if I really want to.

Well then, get what you want. They are probably all good.
I have an 85B. Love it.
75 Compact External Safety. Love it.
SP-01 External Safety. Love it.

Now, I am just an amateur, so I shoot them all the same, equally bad or good, depending on how you look at it. I shoot them all better than Glock, Sig, and Beretta. I shoot them about equal to how I shoot my Browning Hi-Power.

When I get another CZ, I may go for one that can mount a Red Dot. I have been looking at slide modifications and mounts that go into the dove tail.

Good luck, get what you want. As for the three I have, I couldn't recommend one over the other if the only consideration is tight groups.

p.s.
Here is a typical group. Free Standing, non supported, 7 yards, indoors.

New%2BFiring%2BSet%2BReport.png

For really tiny groups I would need to change the sights or be out doors in sun light. Sights, sight radius, and trigger pull are obviously the key. But for a stock service pistol, I think they are great and meet my needs 100%.

Last edited:

sirgilligan

7 yards

cz75cb.png

7 yards. I do have to admit, I was getting tired after shooting two other pistols about 300 rounds.

czsp01a.png

And the BHP at 15 yards:
bhp_15_1.jpg

Screwball

I was originally looking at the stainless 75 or 85... went with the SP-01.

I like ambidextrous guns, but did not like the slide release on the 85. Always been a fan of stainless guns, but it was a few dollars higher than the SP-01, without night sights. Having a rail is just so much more versatile than not.

Held the SP-01, and was sold. Very nice gun, and with a Kadet kit, great package for NJ. I actually just received a spur hammer, and going to have it installed (like the Pre-B hammer look).

Don't know where you are located, but if near Morganville, stop by Monmouth Arms. Steve is a good guy, and one of the few dealers that I've seen consistently stocking full size CZs. He blocks higher capacity magazines, but being I like cleaning mine, he swapped the two pinned 18 rounders for 15 rounders.

Nathan

When I here $1100 and range toy, I think I would order a Shadow or 85 from CZ custom with it converted to SA and the trigger set to about 2.5 lbs. Then have them fit a tight bushing to it and sights of my choice.

roarshock

Feels a bit unpatriotic to even suggest Tristar (Canik). The make the heavy ones and the alloy ones. Pretty nice, but a lot cheaper...

jackstrawIII

The SP-01 is a great range and home defense type gun. That's what I use mine for.

If you ever intend to carry it, consider the P-01. It has a rail so it can take a light if used in the home defense type roll, but it's handy enough to carry in a pinch. I've carried mine with no issues.

Can't go wrong with the SP-01 or the P-01, in my opinion they're the best CZs out there.

Brando1992

I have the sp01 urban grey tactical which i upgraded with the pro package from CGW. Its amazing but I got mine as my bedside gun. It is intended to be a DA/SA with a decocker as well as a firing pin block and a light rail. The CGW goodies just made it that much better for me.

For your applications I would strongly suggest finding a CZ with a safety and no firing pin block. Since its a range gun that will either allow you to buy it with the best trigger possible or be able to upgrade it down the road without anything getting in the way of having a top of the line CZ trigger. (not to say firing pin block triggers cant be great! I absolutely love mine!)

I believe the CZ shadow tac II in both the 75 and sp01 do not have the firing pin block. The 85C and any of the tactical sports do not have the firing pin block. I would say thats your starting point and then go from there in determining how much spend. Any of those guns will give you an incredible trigger and will be an amazing firearm for the range.

Skans

Here's my high polish blued CZ 75B with brass grips - I really like CZ's glossy blue:

SAM_0465_zpsybkpvlvu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

g.willikers

Is there any significant difference between a CZ SA only and just using a DA/SA version in single action?
I once had a DA/SA clone (before CZs were available here) and the only thing needed to make it nearly as good as a 1911 was a straight trigger instead of the standard curved one.

DubC-Hicks

I've noticed a pretty significant difference between my 75B SA trigger compared to a normal 75B in single action. The pull seems shorter and crisper. But it still has a little bit of camming going on. I've tried a 75B SA with a straight trigger and some CGW magic, and it's just as good as a good 1911 trigger.

Quartermaster

I have a standard tactical sport, I can't speak for the TS Orange, but what I will say is the Tactical Sport is a brilliant gun. You will not be disappointed with a tactical sport I can assure you, nor will you be disappointed with a SP-01. The only thing I want to change about my Tac Sport is the front sight, but I'm such a cheapskate I'll probably just paint it :D

I recently handled a CZ Shadow 2, and oh my days...the ergonomics. If you can, you should try to shoot as many CZ's variants as you can before you splash the cash. A shadow 2 would be an awesome gun straight out of the box, no custom work required (at least from what I can see/tell/feel) which leaves you more coin to just go and enjoy shooting it.

Hope it helps brother! Regardless, enjoy your CZ!

Peace,
Quartermaster