Help me choose a bolt action .22LR

DaveBeal

I know nothing about rifles, but I'm looking for an accurate and reliable bolt action .22LR for my sons and I to do some target shooting, $500-1000 MSRP. So far I've found:

• Ruger 77/22-VBZ
  • CZ 453 Varmint
  • Remington 547
  • Weatherby Mark XXII
  • Browning T-Bolt Target/Varmint
  • Savage MkII Classic
Any others I should consider? I've seen lots of good words about the CZ on the net. Is it really the best of this lot, or just the least expensive? The Weatherby sure looks pretty on their website, but is it really worth $919?

I also noticed that one of them (the CZ, I think) boasts a single set trigger. Is this common in this price range? Thanks!

- Dave

Last edited:

mikejonestkd

Dont' forget Anschutz, you can get a new 64 ( a 1416 or similar ) action bolt for this range, or a nice used 54 action ( like a 1710 ) in this range.

Marlin is also nice and a great bargin.

bentrod

I have a Kimber Hunter, man does it shoot, and it is a beauty. I compete with the Annies at our 100 yd egg shoots and hang right in there with them. Kimber quit making the 22 RF a short while back, so they may be hard to get, but if you can... They are about $800.

Jim

bottom rung

In their printed 2008 catalog they make no mention of the rimfire versions. I really like the Kimbers and would like to get one of their rimfire rifles someday. If I had the money, and couldn't get a Kimber, I would spring for the Ruger 77/22 VBZ. I was looking at one today and I really liked it. Especially the flush fit 10 round mags. Steve

rcupka

Ask your gun store if the can find you an Izhmash Biathalon Basic. Once I shot one I had to have it. Now there are a half dozen at the club where i shoot. It has a hammer forged barrle and a unique toggle bolt action. It is unbelievable accurate and a great bargain at $350. You will not be dissapointed!

http://www.gunweek.com/2004/feature0801.html

jhansman

You'd be hard pressed to outshoot the CZ with any of those others you list. If you know anyone with a 452, ask them if you can take it out and shoot it. It only took me one try of my buddy's, and I ordered one.

ligonierbill

In a well made bolt action .22 LR is "inherently accurate". Many moons ago, my brothers and I stuck playing cards up in the garden and shot the hearts and diamonds with an old Marlin that had one of those skinny scopes. If the gun fits your sons, feels good, and the price is favorable, you'll probably be happy with it. That said, a big +1 for the CZ 452. Mine hits dime size orange dots every time at 50 yards and is not fussy about ammo.

hksigwalther

If you are willing to go up to $1000, IMO, Anschütz 64 MPR or 1903. Or, you can get up to 3 CZs.

The CZ453 has a singe set trigger. Generally unheard of for new rifles under $500. Works quite well in both the set and unset mode (adjustable at those two levels). be aware, however, that at the set mode, the trigger pull will be much more forward. (Setting the trigger requires you to push the trigger forward.)

Scorch

I think you would be happy with any of the rifles metioned. The Weatherby Mark XXII is made by Anschutz, and will be hard to beat in the accuracy department, but I am not sure about its looks. The CZ is a very nice rifle, the Remington is very accurate, T-Bolts are a cute, well-made rifle, and the Savage looks a little rough but shoots well. I own a Ruger 77/22 Stainles Target Grey that amazes people watching me shoot (80 rounds into a 2" spot at 100 yds), do you know where my heart is, but any of these would be a rifle to be proud of.

sophijo

Used

there are some(lots) nice, used, older (pre 60's) bolt guns out there, and its fun to look. Educate yourself here. BTW, I just picked up a Marlin 39 A ,built in the 50's, its a lever gun; probably the best ever built, and a classic; for $275.

snevensmores

I have a very low-end Savage Mark II that I picked up at Wally World for $115, and it is a GREAT little gun. I've only put about half a brick through it, but it has me sold on Savage's quality. I can't imagine that one of their higher-end models would be anything but a great shooter.