help me choose 1911 type.......

I will be getting a handgun for x-mas from good old gramps! got a ruger 454 last year!!:D I would like a Kimber or 1911 type or maybe a glock like a g36. Is there a good 45 acp 1911 style pistol i should look at other than the kimber? i would be getting the
$640 Kimber if any not sure the model [ can't swing the top dollar ones] less money but still a great pistol would ideal. Thanks for the help.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Springfield also makes a fine 1911, and Colt's 1991A1 is starting to increase in availability and decrease in price again.

lonegunman

I bought a new Colt about 6 months ago, and it is a fine weapon. Its trigger is a little bit better than the one on my Kimber, but probably not enough to notice in casual shooting.

A Colt will cost you more, but it will appreciate in value faster than a Kimber.

Both are fine guns and either would certainly make me happy.

HankB

If you're looking for a nice 1911, why not a Les Baer? Fitted better than a Kimber (no MIM parts, either!) and WAY nicer than any Springfield or Colt. The only disadvantage is cost, but if Gramps is buying . . .

popeye

1911 to G36 is big spectrum. What is primary roll for gun?
Best all around would be 1991 with new style rollmark. Full size just about anything else is gonna get you ugly forward cocking serrations. As mentioned Springfieid makes a nice mil-spec (I've got one) for $450-$500.

Thanks for the info:) I would be getting it mostly as a fun gun and maybe when i get a ccw carry it. I have a few handguns and this would be nice addition. The g36 would be more of a carry gun and I don't have a glock or a 45acp.

DonP

A different perspective

I have a little differenmt view on 1911's. I guess I'm more of a purist on them.

I couldn't afford a WW II or Vietnam era Mil Spec .45, so I bought the next best thing in my price range, a Sprignfield Armory MilSpec .45 1911. The only thing I added was a nice set of checkered wood grips. Otherwise it's pretty GI standard issue. Even with the MilSpec sights, it's still a lot of fun to shoot and gets decent groups at range distances. It certainly shoots better than I am capable of.

It also doubles as a very reliable home or personal defense weapon and it's not terribly ammo sensitive (except the Win-Clean that jams like crazy). I guess I feel that the closer you get to the original Browning design (loose slide fit and all), the happier you'll be with it in the long run.

Don P.

RWK

I have four 1911A1s: two Springfields (a TRP and a "Loaded" Stainless), a Kimber Custom/Classic stainless, and a pre-WWII Colt MilSpec. IMHO, the best of this group are the Springfields: excellent price and quality, accurate, rock-solid, durable, reliable, lifetime warrantee, and good-to-go right from the box. Many TFL members prefer Kimbers to equivalent Springfields, but I give the clear advantage to the Springfield.

Phil

I have a 1991a1. Its been 100% reliable with several hundred rounds through it. Shoots fine. Right around $500.

VVG

.45's

If you intend to shoot it, the SIG P220 will give you much better accuracy out of the box, durability/reliability, and modern DA/SA/decocker action for $600-700. I had a Golt Gold Cup Series 70 and carried M1911's, this is a far superior pistol all around.

If you just want a .45 M1911, I agree with the previous poster to get one of the Milspec .45's. The commercial ones are decently accurate and reasonably priced. Spend the difference on ammo, .45 ACP ain't cheap.

I was surprised to learn that some people think the Springfield Armory is the "real" Armory in Springfield, MA, instead of the commercial company that bought the rights to the name. But they seem to do a good job. Good luck and have fun.