Help me be a Crack shot

Teirst

So I want to be down right surgical with a pistol.

Well maybe not surgical, but I want to be "above average" in my ability. I was wondering if I could get some tips for how to make the best of my range time and drills to practice at home.

Currently I do reload drills (as that is about all I know) at the range but that is about it. I am looking into taking a class but there is nothing in my area for a decent amount of time.

So teach me ohh wise ones the ways of the pistol.

Ideally if this thread takes off I will take the time to combine all the information in a seperate thread and submit it for sticky.

HighValleyRanch

First, you have to identify exactly what you want to be good at specifically.
I have seen some amazing bullseye shooters who could eat ragged holes at 50 yards, but weren't too good in the combat aspects.

But then I have seen many combat experts who were not as surgical as you described.

Surgical shooting is only the tip of the combat expertise. There are many other weapon handling and tactics knowledge that make up the base.
If your goal is only in the defensive aspects, the perfect shooting is not as necessary. Taking too much time to aim can be a hindrance. Yet the knowledge being able to do it is the base of your performance, even if you do not have to use it to the full capabilities.

And finally, there are tons of drills that you can practice right at home, with an empty gun.
The old adage of 90% dry fire and 10% live fire is the best advice.
Going to the range and eating up tons of ammo without a specific plan only wastes time, money, ammo and can build some pretty bad habits.
If you can dry fire with the coin balanced on the gun, and have the trigger drop without it falling an yet keep the sights totally aligned through the process, you are halfway to the shooting aspect.
Trigger control, and grip consistency are the key.

For the combat aspect, practice reloading, presentation from the holster including concealment, practice splitting the pie, positions for barricade, and look up Gabriel Suarez on youtube. He has some excellent drills and advice.
Most of these can be practiced with an empty gun or dummy gun at home.

pax

Take a class. Shooting well really cannot be learned either from reading or from watching video; it requires a certain amount of hands-on activity. A good instructor will model the ideal behavior, give you a chance to try that behavior yourself, and then provide immediate positive feedback along with necessary corrections.

For example, I could write a 1800-word article about trigger control, describing the ideal "smooth press," explaining the importance of smoothly and steadily moving the trigger to the rear while holding the sights as aligned as you reasonably can, accepting the wobble as the minor artifact it really is, pressing steadily until the shot breaks and continuing to hold the trigger to the rear until the sights are re-aligned on target before you allow the trigger to come forward again. I could give you the vocabulary for all of those actions: smooth press, sight alignment, follow through.

But that wouldn't help you a bit. Because 99 students out of 100 WON'T ever grok that concept from being told it in words. They will continue to slap the snot out of the trigger while believing they are doing it correctly because now they have the words to describe what they're (not) doing.

I could instead show you a video of the same activity, so that you could see what my trained trigger finger does.

But it wouldn't help you much. Because 98 students out of 100 won't grok it from simply watching. And again, they will continue to slap the snot out of the trigger while believing they are doing it correctly. (And if you ask them, they will say they pressed "smoothly" and "followed through" even though they did neither.)

If you were here in person, I could take you to the range, place my trained trigger finger over yours while your sights were aligned, and physically transmit the sensation of pressing the trigger correctly -- directly from my trigger finger to yours, in the correct context. And only 1 or 2 out of 100 students won't grok the concept after that demonstration or a few others like it. (Those few will need repeated and intensive coaching, but they'll get it eventually.)

That's just one example of the types of things that go on in a class.

Why's it matter? Well, if you go out to the range and practice yanking the trigger, slapping the trigger, jerking the trigger, or otherwise messing up the ideal, you might eventually train yourself to hit the center of the target. Maybe. Most likely, what you will do is train yourself to repeatedly, consistently, and habitually repeat these errors.

Scientists say it takes around 1000 repetitions of an action to groove in a "muscle memory" (they hate that term) of how to do the task, and around 3 times that many repetitions to erase an action previously learned.

That means you can use 1000 rounds at the outset to learn the ideal action.

Or you can instead send however many rounds downrange you want, then go take that class and basically write off all your previous shooting experience, starting over from scratch but with a needed 3000 rounds just to get to zero -- followed by another 1000 to groove in the new behavior.

Practice is excellent and necessary. Practicing the right things, even more so. :)

pax

spacecoast

In addition to Pax's "take a class" advice...

If you're accustomed to shooting two-handed from a Weaver or isosceles stance at targets 10 to 15 yards away, I can recommend that you find a local club or range that runs NRA pistol matches. Shooting one-handed at 50 yards will give a new meaning to the words "steady" and "accuracy" (at least it did for me), and will train you to really learn how to focus on the sights and squeeze through the trigger with minimal disturbance to your gun. Plus, you learn from experienced shooters, and if you are competitive you get the opportunity to compete against others as well as yourself, something you rarely get in casual range trips.

Teirst

Great advice guys, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Also thank you for coming right out and saying "take the class, you have to learn hands on" and enforcing that by explaining how long it takes to "unlearn" bad habits.

I will ask my local range when/where I can take a pistol class so that I can practice good habits instead of reinforcing bad ones. Hell anything worth learning, should be worth learning right, right?

PzGren

Taking a class is one way to cut corners but to be really good, you will have to practice more than average to elevate you above the average shooter.

There are many clubs shooting old fashioned bullseye. You will meet some folks that will teach you and walk you through the stages.

It will provide a solid base to move on to action shooting or you just might get hooked on it.

Idahoser

your local range should have a competition club, just like a bowling league. They're the ones you want to learn from if precision target shooting is your goal.

This is nowhere near like what you want to practice and learn if you are interested in defensive shooting. If you're trying to emulate fictional characters in books or movies, you should be aware that things work out the way the author wants them to, whether it's physically possible or practical, or not. Reality is not very well represented in movies and TV shows, which are produced by people who don't know anything about guns, except they hate them and they want you to hate them too.

mdshooter

Taking a class is one way to cut corners but to be really good, you will have to practice more than average to elevate you above the average shooter.

I take exception to the notion that taking a class constitutes "cutting corners." Take a class and learn to do it right... THEN practice, practice, practice what you've learned more than the average bloke.

WIL TERRY

Shooting is easy !!! Sight alignment, trigger control .

WHEN you have the two above noted things well in hand look me up for your next lesson. As for me I've been trying to master those two for 59 years now, so you HURRY up !!!
Other than that it is ALL between your ears. IT IS AT LEAST 90% MENTAL !!!
Quite often I shoot in matches for money, usually one hundred dollars per shot, ten shots minimum. I have never lost a match because I knew I would NOT miss the first shot, and I knew they would. SAME with the last shot. It happens every time and it is between their ears, NOT mine.

Last edited:

Teirst

When I say "crack shot" I think what I would like is to be a good all around with a pistol.

Able to draw and fire an accurate shot quickly.
Staying on target for multiple shots
Accurate at moderate range (25-30yards)

Mostly to get started I would like my shots to group, instead of being a pattern. I can keep all my shots inside the 8 ring at 10-15 yards (not taking my time but not rapid fire) but they seems to all be low.

For mag changes I currently will take my mags and load 1-3 rounds in each, mix them up and grab at random.

Idahoser

biggest single thing I can think of is you want to be completely surprised with the cartridge firing. A lot of dry-firing and shooting something that shoots .22LR (not both in the same gun- rimfires don't like dry firing!)

Your 'surprise' last shot on those mags where you don't know how many are in there- that shot where only the hammer falls, and no firing happens- you want to see the sights stay absolutely still. That means you aren't anticipating or "pushing". If the gun jerks when the hammer falls on an empty chamber, you've taught yourself one of those bad habits. Get over that first.

Go slow. Speed comes later.

Using a revolver will let you truly be surprised, most semi's will hold open on the last shot- usually a good thing- but that makes it difficult to 'fool' yourself that there's another cartridge in there when there really isn't.

What I might think would be a good plan would be to have two 'identical' guns, one in .22LR and one in some useful caliber. In a design that allows you to not know if there's a cartridge ready to fire. This basically means, revolver. You're not going to regret having revolvers even if, in your new 'expertise' you decide you would rather have/carry/shoot semi-autos, you'll be proud of the old wheel guns in your collection. And for training yourself, they are the premier choice.

Get for example, a Model 15 and a Model 17. Same size, shape, weight, sights, action, grips, everything. Shoot the .22 a whole lot, dry fire the .38 at home a whole lot. Shoot the .38 some too, of course. You could substitute a 19 instead of the 15 and have the ability to carry .357 for defense and later shooting pleasure, though you don't want to even buy any of that when you're learning, the bang and flash will not help you avoid learning the 'flinch'.

When you're shooting, load two or three cartridges in random patterns.

NOW READ THIS NEXT SENTENCE CAREFULLY.

Spin the cylinder with your left hand while holding the grip in your right (assuming you're right handed) and without looking at the cylinder to avoid knowing where the cartridges land, * * GENTLY * * close the cylinder until it locks into place. DO. NOT. 'whip' the gun to slam the cylinder closed, EVER.

Now you have some holes and some cartridges randomly distributed in the cylinder. As you fire, you can't know which will come up (at least for 3 or 4 shots until the pattern becomes evident, then it's time to quit that cylinder). The point of this is you will instantly see the gun move when the hammer falls on an empty chamber if you're doing it wrong. And the ones that surprise you by going off, will go where you were pointing the sights!

That's all there is to being a good shot. Going off has to be a surprise, so you don't flinch; and putting the sights where you want them.

Last edited:

lee n. field

So I want to be down right surgical with a pistol.

Well maybe not surgical, but I want to be "above average" in my ability. I was wondering if I could get some tips for how to make the best of my range time and drills to practice at hom

1)Get some instruction, a class where they'll teach you about stance, grip, sight alignment and trigger control.

2)Shoot a lot.

SIGSHR

If you are a semiauto fan, I recommend a .22 conversion unit-the CZ Kadet or the Ciener for M1911s and Browning HPs. I personally did not become a truly good pistol shot until I was on a pistol team in college practicing Bullseye, that is probably a rather Old School approach but it worked for me, and I know Ed McGivern and Bill Jordan were both fast and accurate.
McGivern emphasized that the practices of sight alignment, trigger and breath control were identical for both slow and rapid fire.
I also think fitness plays a role in shooting proficiency. Charlie Askins-another master of the handgun-advocated having a fitness routine. And he emphasized properly fitted and corrected eyewear.

Buzzcook

Pax and Spacecoast pretty much said it all. Take lessons and get involved in competition.

As was mentioned there are all sorts of shooting sports, from straight target shooting to combat drills. Imho you can't go wrong learning the very basic parts first.

WIL TERRY

Note also that Elmer Keith said it takes two years of steady practise to become

Semi competent with a handgun.
In my case my father gave me a COLT 22 pistol on my 16TH birthday. On that day I could hit 3LB coffee cans at 10' or so most of the time. ONE year later to the day I could hit Campbell soup cans all day long out at the back of our yard which was exactly 50 yards [ 150' ] away. In that year I had shot up EXACTLY 52,000 rounds of ammo in the deelightful COLT 22 pistol. IMNHO, the 22 pistol is the only way to start to learn to shoot competently for any number of reasons which you'll figure out for yourself in very short order. NOW, many years later my practise is much less, about 8500 rounds this past summer with the 22LR pistols plus other guns from 32ACP to 45COLT and darned near a dozen caliber stops in-between.
To become a competent shot YOU must practise COMPETENTLY and you must do it consistently week in and week out as there is NO EASY WAY to learn the ways of the revolving pistol and the autoloading pistol without putting in the time behind the trigger.

Big Bill

Watch and practice plenty of Todd Jarrett's lessons on YouTube. Begin with this one...

Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

The incomparable Vince Lombardi, the great coach of the champion Green Bay Packers, use to take his players out on the football field at the beginning of each season. He would take a football and explain the composition and dimensions of the football and then talk about all the ways the football could be manipulated (held, passed, etc.). Then after his lengthy discourse on the football, he's walk the team all over the field, explaining the dimensions, markers, etc. Then he'd spend lots of time talking about the rules of the game and explaining each playing position and all the rest of the fundamentals of the game. Even though his players were pros, he needed them all to know that in order to be great, they had to master the fundamentals of playing football.

It's the same with shooting. Master the fundamentals; and, you will become a master gunman.

Last edited:

P-990

Get a .22. Find an instructor, take some classes, compete. Remember, shooting a pistol or rifle is all about sight alignment, trigger squeeze, breathing and follow through.

You have to practice perfect habits to get better. Walk before you run. The fundamentals have to be drilled into you until they are automatic and you don't have to think about them. Speed will come later.

Remember this, "Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect." (I wish I could remember where I heard that, but it's the best advice I've ever had.)

Mike38

To get the best out of range time remember this statement….

Practice DOES NOT make perfect. Prefect practice makes perfect.

That’s not a typo, here it is again…..

What do I mean by that? Simple. Blasting 100 rounds down range, hitting everything but the X-ring means nothing. It will only teach bad habits. Concentrate on the basic fundamentals of pistol shooting. Trigger squeeze not trigger pull. Sight alignment. Focusing your vision on the front sight. Firm yet comfortable grip. Proper grip. Shoot slowly. It’s not a race. You’re in the learning mode, there are no points for speed, yet. Putting ten shots into the X-ring, even if it takes you 30 minutes to do it. Then go home. You just put ten perfect shots into the target. That’s better then 100 shots sprayed all over the paper. Speed will come over time. Before you know it, it will be ten shots into the X-ring in 20 seconds. Then 15 seconds. Then after time, maybe even a year, it will be 10 shots in 10 seconds, or less.