Help Identifying Shotgun

Sport45

This muzzle-loading shotgun was a wall hanger at my wife's grandparents house for as long as she can remember. I don't know if it was ever used by anyone in her family for anything other than decoration and sadly, there's nobody left who knows any history of this gun.

Anyway, I didn't measure the bore (can't believe I missed that) but it looks like a 12-gauge. The barrel is 39-5/8" long measured from the inside.
102_1028.jpg

The only makings I can make out on the side plate is an OOD. It's hard to tell if the preceding marks are characters or just scratches.
102_1031.jpg

The barrel has a couple of proof marks and a bead set in a shallow dovetail.
102_1035.jpg

102_1036.jpg

I believe the stock has been repaired as evidenced by the two screws set behind the tang.
102_1037.jpg

The bore has some rust, but no bulges and there are a couple of brass pins missing that secure the wooden ramrod guide to the underside of the barrel.
102_1046.jpg

Can you tell by the pictures where this gun was made and when? There's what looks like a name plate on the left side of the stock, but if it ever had anything on it I can't tell now.

I'd like to know if you think this shotgun could or should be restored to shooting condition (probably to fire a dozen times and put back on the wall for the next generation). The hammer feels real sluggish and doesn't lock back. It may just need to be pulled back further, but I'm reluctant to force things. Does the screw on the left side hold the side plate on? I'd like to strip the thing down a bit to give it a good cleaning and see if I can do anything with the lock work.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can lend.

Last edited:

Sport45

Mods,

Please move this thread if it should have been placed in the Curio & Relic or shotgun forum instead of here.

Thanks!

Hawg

First off it's not a shotgun. It's a smoothbore military musket thats been sporterized and converted from flintlock to percussion. It appears to me to be a Brown Bess.

Sport45

Thanks! That's interesting. I had no idea this was a conversion. I'll have to do some research on Brown Bess now. Should a musket have a rear sight?

Fingers McGee

Sorry Hawg, it's not a Bess. Neither the lock stock or barrel conform to Bess characteristics. It could be a mid 19th Century percussion Fowling Piece; but, is more than likely an 18th Century flint Fowler that was converted.

2amencw

musket

I dont think this is a converted military piece. In one of the pictures it appears tha the barrel is forged from wrought iron.You can see the grain pattern on the breech area. I would look at this gun very carefully with a jewelers loupe and an led light. You may be able to see a seam along the underside of the barrel. I agree tha it was probably a flintlocke conversion. Very nice piece. I am sure firing it would be very cool.

Hawg

Sorry Hawg, it's not a Bess. Neither the lock stock or barrel conform to Bess characteristics.

You're probably right, I'm no authority on Bess's but to me the butt and trigger guard looked pretty close and the original lock was more pointed at the rear like a flint lock going by the inlet for it.