Help identifying a S&W, please

carl418

I'm looking at an old Smith. It sais on the barrel '32 LONG CTG', and the barrel looks to be 4". On the yoke, the numbers '9642'. On the butt, cylinder and under the barrel are the numbers '241131'. It has 4 screws that I can see on the side plate and possibly another one under the grips. It's nickel. It also appears to be shaped like a round-butt. But, overall, the revo is on the small-side. Nowhere near as big as, say a K-frame. Any ideas as to what it is? Is this an old 32 Hand Ejector?

XavierBreath

Carl,
You are looking at a .32 Hand Ejector, Model of 1903 5th Change. There were about 160,000 manufactured between 1910 and 1917. It's an I frame gun, and should be a five screw. Check the front of the triggerguard for the extra screw. Value in excellent shape is around $300.
Best regards,
XB

carl418

XB, thank you..... somehow I knew it would be you who knew what this is! lol.... one more question, plz. What is it worth if it seems mechanically ok, but finish is probably 50%?

XavierBreath

At 50% it would probably sell at $125-150, but if you found somebody itching for an I frame, it might bring $200. I have seen a similar .32HE, M1903 5th (although blue) at every gun show over the past year. The seller wants $225. I would buy at $175. He won't budge, and neither will I.