Help Identifying a S&W M66

Matt Sutton

I picked up this preowned but unfired M66 yesterday. It's unlike any other I've ever seen before. I know there was a special run of 3" 66's with Hiviz sights, but this one is 4" and has the Milucek grips. Anyone know if it was a "Stocking Dealer Special", or maybe a special run for a distributor? Thanks for your help.

m66.jpg

m66open.jpg

hoppes-no9

Hi Matt,

Nice gun! I recognize it from Gallenson's, no? Did you happen to notice a 625 Mountain gun in 45 Colt sitting near it in the case? It also was in new condition with a fantastically smooth action, and very tight. According to the guys in the store, the 66 you bought and the 625MG both were from the same owner (now deceased) -- the 625MG has the same green fiber optic sight and Miculek grips, so I would bet a paycheck that neither gun came from the factory that way. Regardless, they were both very nice pieces.

I went in there on my lunch break earlier this week and picked up a like-new 686 Plus 7-shot with 2.5" barrel, $345 out the door. Sometimes good stuff shows up there...

-Dan

Matt Sutton

Dan,
It is the piece from Gallenson's. I would have snagged that mountain gun too if I had the cash! It definitely sounds like the previous owner had it customized. Thanks very much for the info.
I think I saw your 686+. I work about 3 minutes away, so I spend lunch hour there often.
Matt