Help identify H&R revolver

Ricklin

Greetings,
I have a genuine oddball. I've spent a fair amount of time researching, and can't find an exact match to what I have.
So far I have determined it is original blue, appears unfired, and is in quite excellent condition, bluing discolored just a touch of freckling and corrosion but amazing condition. No real wear anywhere, still tight as a tick. No evidence of ever being fired.

H+R top break. 2 lines on top of Barrel H&R ARMS CO. / WORCESTER MASS
The slash indicates 2 lines as printed. Serial number is 23154

No caliber marking on barrel. Serial number is under top strap must remove cylinder to read it. Grips are hard rubber target logo at top and a flower pattern around the screw.
It is the safety hammer style, IE no hammer double action only. Trigger guard and trigger are color case hardened.

No plans to fire it, even tho I can load up some trail boss equivalents. Am certain I would be the first if I fired it.

I think I may have something special here. The features and data do not match up at all. Amazing something this old was never fired.

So far I am pegging it as pre 1904 black powder. No pat. dates on it, no model name or numbers. No Ctg. designation on barrel everything says black powder according to my research. 2" round barrel. It does auto eject on opening. Latch has two posts. again tight as new.

Don't have much money in it, it's really nicely made, def. not a Saturday nite special.
Edit: Just been handling this old piece, what a sweet old pistol. Even the trigger pull is quite reasonable stiff for safety, yet very usable. I'm struck with the thought of what this could be constructed of modern materials, and chambered in .32 mag. SWEET!

Last edited:

Ricklin

I will do so

I will get some photos up later today.

The hump over where the hammer would be is rounded, not angled. The stamp on top of the barrel has no patent numbers at all. No caliber marking on barrel either, no serial number on butt.
I believe it to be an early model blackpowder gun. It is centerfire apparently 32 S&W. 5 shot cylinder. It does not have the double guide rods on the extractor star.

I won't shoot it, as said earlier it looks unfired and only shows holster wear. It is really tight too, both the latch and the pivot smooth tight no slop at all.

I just love the look and feel of this little revolver. It strikes me as elegant. Do not see many with a blue finish. Am tempted to reblue as condition of metal is great blue, not so much.

Tinker Pearce

Sounds like a 1st model Safety Hammerless. I have a lovely nickel gun in .38 S&W. Nice little shooter! Does yours look like this? (except, obviously, for being blued.)

kHXxf7e.jpg

T. O'Heir

"...pre 1904 black powder..." It'd have to be a lot older than that to be a BP firearm. BP started being replaced in the early 1890's.
Anyway, even in absolutely 'mint' condition(Provable unfired, still in its original box and with the original paperwork, any H&R isn't worth a lot.

Ricklin

Similar, not the same

Mine does not have the "notch" in the backstrap where the hammer would be, it is rounded.
Mine also has a small button that holds the latch up for cylinder removal.

I do not expect it to be worth much at all. It is an elegant little pistol.

I was on the road the last few days, I will get some pics up. It is an oddball.