HELP! I need to decide on a 9mm

Disregarding price, which would you choose?

• Walther P99AS

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm Compact

Votes: 25 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zombie237

I need help, with my purchase choice for a 9mm. I've narrowed it down to three. The only three I'm considering are the Walther P99 and the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm/9mmC. I need to why which you would select and why you would select it. I just purchased the M&P.45 and I also have a PK380 and a P22. I love all my handguns which makes this decision so hard. Opinions and justifications welcome to potentially cover something I may have overlooked, thanks all.

P.S.- I don't discount the glock, sig or xd, they are all excellent firearms in their own right, just not for me. Even if you are a glock, sig or xd lover, if you only had the ability to purchase one of the 3 aforementioned firearms above, which would it be?

Last edited:

Sixer

I'd go with the M&P 9mmC. I don't own any M&P's but my brother has the compact .40sw and I really like it. I wouldn't trade my Glock for one :D but I would definitely consider buying one of my own if I had the extra $$$

IMHO you can't really go wrong with any of your 3 choices. Whatever you get I'm sure you'll like it.

1goodshot

My friend carries the MP compact and really likes it. Ive shot it a few times an think its a good gun, it would be my choice out of the 3 for ccw.

Walthers are sexy, and I've never shot an M&P, so I'd have to say go with the Walther. Besides, you already have an M&P, may as well diversify.

On a side note, have you considered a CZ-75 variant? :D

sophijo

M&P Compact

......lots of good reviews on this pistol. My son has the full-size and it's been %100. SW service of good too.

Webleymkv

I'd personally go for the Walther because the ones I've handled fit my hand slightly better than the M&P's I've handled. Also, you might want to look around for a SW99, it's basically the same gun as the P99 but made under lisence by S&W. SW99's are typically less expensive than Walther P99's are.

OldFool

Minimum is .40 S&W. 9mm is totally inadequate for a PD round. Ever wonder why nearly all competent law enforcement agencies abandoned the 9m(ickey)m(ouse) round???

Webleymkv

Minimum is .40 S&W. 9mm is totally inadequate for a PD round. Ever wonder why nearly all competent law enforcement agencies abandoned the 9m(ickey)m(ouse) round???

Have any documentation that the 9mm is inadequate? Care to explain why nearly every NATO country's military (including ours), as well as the world's largest police department (NYPD) continues to stick with the 9mm?

russian hammer

"9mm is totally inadequate for a PD"?????? 9mm has the .40 and .45 beat on velocity and is very comparable in wound channels as last time I checked getting shot by one really hurts;) I've had this discussion with plenty of people and most of the time they change their minds after I demonstrate what a good clean double tap to the chest looks like with a 9mm, followed up by how much quicker you can run a tactical drill (cleanly)with that same pistol and then ending with them dropping their mag and seeing how many rounds are left after doing all this. More rounds equal's more fight, more fight equal's you staying alive. Alot of people say that departments are switching from the 9mm, and that may be true, but even more are not. When you see some of the best tactical units around the world using the 9mm it really has to make you think why that is. More bang is not always better, and that brings this long winded post to an end as I choose the M&P9 full size over the M&P9c. Most people don't actually carry during the summer months, but do all other months of the year when a jacket is comfortable to wear, and my full size M&P hides under even a carhartt jacket just as well as my M&Pc. So if you can have a gun you can shoot at the range and be deadly accurate with and still carry it then it beats out the gun you don't spend as much time shooting. Buy the full size and save for a few more months and buy a good pocket .380 that you can carry anywhere and everywhere during the summer months. Thank you and I hope my opinion helped and did not offend anyone.

-Mat

6onthehip

re

^^^ well put - nothing about 9MM screams mickey - they wouldn't have been service weapons so long if that was the case

if you already have a s/w get the P - variety is the spice of life - both good guns;)

Melissa5

Of those choices I'd pick the M&P because the grip feels really good. But I bought a Glock 19 because I like the sights better and it cost a little less.

Last edited:

41mag10mm

While I haven't shot one yet, I came very close to picking up a M&P 40c at a gunshow this weekend. A Springfield .45 won me over first, but it was close. Of all the modern polymer pistols on the market, the M&P slides into my hand is if it were molded for it. I also really like the way the sights line up. While it's a flat top slide simular to a Glock, it seemed to come to point of aim much easier for me. I may have given into the Springfield this weekend, but that M&P compact is next on my list.

I've been collecting/shooting/reloading for 30 years and have heard the 9mm vs whatever argued forever. I personally don't and won't own one just because I don't like it. Not real fond of the 40S&W either, prefering the 10mm or .45 ACP. That said, there are plenty of people end up as worm food due to an overdose of 9mm bullets. If I had to carry a 9 for SD, I certainly would not feel undergunned. I just don't like it.

Most people don't actually carry during the summer months

HUH? Who are most people? Everyone I know, myself included, with a CCW carry year round. I have a Taurus M85 that fits perfectly in a pocket holster in any pants I wear during the summer.

Rayndeon

More to the point, most people with CHLs carry rarely if ever at all.

I like the Walther P99. The AS trigger is fantastic.

pilpens

I have an M&P and a P99 both in 9mm.
Walther P99 for me because I like the p99 da/sa/decock than the M&P trigger.
For carry, I do not like the partially cock firing pin.