HELP! HELP! No accuracy with Desert Eagle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoinchgroup52

Brought my recently purchased (used) DE in 44 mag. to range. Have had problems with this handgun since purchase. First, had many jams and failures to hold slide open on last round in magazine. Gun shop gave me new magazine. This seemed to resolve the problem to a manageable level (one jam and one failure to hold slide open in 50 rounds).
Now what annoys me is the accuracy, or lack thereof. Since I purchased the gun it wont hold any kind of group at 50 feet. Although I'm using same ammo and not adjusting the rear sight (it came with Millet adjustable sights) the groups seem to shift from place to place. Sight doesn't appear to be loose. What can be causing this problem??
This is passed off as a hunsting handgun that is supposed to be accurate out to 100 yards. Why wont mine hold any kind of accuracy at 50 FEET?? Thanks, TWOINCHGROUP52

Frank the Spank

Could it be because you're not used to this gun yet? recoil, weight, how you're holding it.

It takes some getting used too IMHO

have ya benched it to see how it shoots? differen't ammo? Barrel clean? are you using cast lead bullets? because of the pollygon rifling you have to use jacketed rounds.

About the slide not locking.. all seems to be the magazines fault.. I bought some cheap ass "Pro Mag" magazines off the net... worst peices of crap I've ever used.. my regular DE magazine gives me little problems, only comon problem is weenie wristing on some shots will jam this gun like crazy.

Try this website and have a look at the FAQ: http://www.zvis.com/dep.shtml

good luck!

-Frank the Spank

[This message has been edited by Frank the Spank (edited November 12, 1999).]

JERKY

I have never seen a DE owner that was happy with that gun. I personally think its simply a "very big" (pardon the pun) POS. but thats just my opinion.

------------------
TIM : )

Frank the Spank

Jerky, Hi my name is Frank.

There you've met a happy DE owner now :)

Cheap mags and cheap ammo make this gun a jammatic. Good ammo and good mags make it a happy gun, well.. my gun anyways. I have a Mark1 made in Isereal Desert Eagle that has been retro fitted with many parts to bring it up to modern specs. My friends jam this gun ALL the time. why? because of limp wristing. When I hold my DE with a firm grip and use the magazine that came with the gun... it shoots great! :)

Guess not everyone has had the same luck as I have had.

-Frank the Spank

[This message has been edited by Frank the Spank (edited November 12, 1999).]

TABING

I beg to differ with JERKY,

I bought a 44mag Eagle (Israeli made) some years ago, but as I live overseas, and have more guns than sense, only shot it for the first time last summer.

Although heavy, I found it to be extremely accurate right out of the box, with no sight adjustments. I shot generic (Federal) 240gr.
jacketed hollow points, with no feeding or any other problems. Because of the gun's weight and gas system, recoil was not substantial.

I use only original magazines and had the sense to buy two extras when I bought the gun.

I love mine, but see it as something to take to the range, or for serious hunting. Definitely not a CCW piece.

As Frank said, it takes time to get use to.
You should fire it from a secure rest, (like a lock down Ransom rest) to determine objectively wht the gun can really do. Cleaned, and I recommend the 240 gr. ammo that the gun was designed for. Good Luck!

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
CCW carry would be a challenge...
But for open carry? Wow.

DE are accurate guns. Why your having so much trouble with it is surprising. There must be something wrong with either the gun - or the shooter. Giving you the beni of the doubt and that your doing every thing right. You may have a lemon.

But in reality - it sounds like to me... Your flinching.
You may not even realize this - Have a shooting coach work with you to see if this is true. Your probably flinching or closing your eyes... or both.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

JIH

I do not own a DE, but my shooting buddy does, chambered in .44 Mag.

IME, Desert Eagles are reliable, accurate guns IF you conform to their desires. If you don't hold it right, if you flinch, if you use the wrong ammo, or if you don't clean it properly, it can give sub-standard results.

Try using some name-brand ammo if you already aren't... get something common like Federal. Don't use anything cheap or low-powered in the gun. Cheap ammo doesn't shoot well in the gun, and if the ammo is not at LEAST at a standard magnum load, then the gun may not cycle well.

They're good guns... they're expensive guns... and like any other Porche, you have to give it the right juice to keep it going.

2tapcm

I have an Israeli made Mark 1 DE in .357 Mag with no mods. My first handgun.

A fun and accurate piece. I have had no problems. Like others posters said, care and feeding are important. I only use Winchester 158g JHP. (minimum recommended weight) Not sure what the minimums are for 44 Mag. Something to check anyway.

------------------
I Love My Country, But I Fear My Government!

twoinchgroup52

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. I've done alot of reading on this gun and its finiky personality. What I shot last were American Eagle 240gr.JHP. Although i own 44 mag wheelguns and am accustomed to the recoil, the recoil on the DE was substantial despite its size and gas operating system. I made sure to hold properly and not limp wrist the gun. I took my time in proper aiming and stance. Still, the groups seemed to shift at 50 feet. I'm always willing to learn. If you can think of another possibility for my problem, please respond. Thanks again! TWOINCHGROUP52

Status
Not open for further replies.