Help! First Shot: 9 Ring... Second Shot:?

Wishoot

Please help. I'm at the end of my rope with my LC9.

I can shoot darn near any handgun fairly well. I'm a good shot with my LCR too.

The LC9 is driving me crazy though. I can draw and put the first shot in the 9 ring at 15 yards. My subsequent shots may not even be on the paper. I really want to like this gun. It has everything I want in a very small 9mm.

What am I doing wrong?

geetarman

Just a guess, because it happens with me. Anticipation of recoil.

I can usually do pretty good with any gun I pick up...for the first shot.

Hit the bull with the 50AE my son has. Not so with subsequent shots.

I have to work at overcoming the tendency to put too much finger on the trigger and pushing my shots down and to the left.

If you shoot other guns well even after the first shot, I would be looking at whether or not the first shot is repositioning the gun in your hand.

After your first shot, is there any discernible pattern?

Geetarman:D

Chuckusaret

I had a semilar problem with a subnose revolver, 1st rnd a hit and subsequent rnds not on the paper. I went to an after market grip And several trips to the range and many rounds of practice to become proficient with it. I have the LCP and the LC9 and have no problem with either, but I am satisfied just to have hits anywhere on the target.

Rodger_p

Whenever I start experiencing anything like you describe, I move closer to the target. I would start by cutting the distance in half. Once you are comfortable with your results, then start moving back.

Just my thoughts...

Rodger

Wishoot:
Do a lot of dry firing against a blalnk white wall. Practice developing a good grip, proper trigger finger placement and trigger release. Proper trigger release is when you can relesat the trigger without disturblin the sights. Any sight movement will be obvious against the white wall. When the trigger releases without distrubing the sights the pistol will fire before you can flinch.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hufhes
USMC Retired

Whirlwind06

Also have a someone load a snap cap into the mag. Then you can really see what happens when you pull the trigger during a live fire string.

I was having similar problems with a J frame and I loaded up 2 live and 3 empty cases. When I started shooting not knowing if the next round was live, I saw how much I was pulling the gun off target.

AZAK

I can shoot darn near any handgun fairly well. I'm a good shot with my LCR too.
plus this
Sadly no. Right, left, up, down, behind me, completely lost... they're all a possibility when I'm shooting the LC9.
equals have someone else try your particular LC9 and see what happens.

Woody55

I'm not exactly a world class shot, but this improved my draw and double or triple tap with my Glock 27.

I've tried a couple of ways, but this works best for me.

While aware of the sights, I really aim the pistol with my thumbs. The base of my left (non-firing) thumb is just to the left of the knuckle of my right thumb and then goes forward to the frame.

I hold the pistol with a much tighter grip than I do when aiming single shots. I think this is important for the second and third shots and not much of a disadvantage because I'm not really using the sights as a precision instrument.

I fire the second (and third) shot when the pistol, my hands and arms come back from the first shot.

At 7 yards, everything winds up in the 9 ring. At 10 the 8 ring. I don't usually shoot like this at 15 yards, but I am sure I would hit the target somewhere.

Perhaps the small size of your LC9 makes it snappier than your other pistols. In that case, this might help.

Woody55

As a follow up on the sights, when I say that I am aware of the sights what I mean is that I can see the front sight on the target and I see the rear sight overlapping the front sight. Aiming with my thumbs gets me at least that. I instinctively try to correct as I pull the trigger, but it goes off when it goes off.

Hope that makes sense.

Wishoot

While aware of the sights, I really aim the pistol with my thumbs. The base of my left (non-firing) thumb is just to the left of the knuckle of my right thumb and then goes forward to the frame.

I've been working on this hold as it's improved my shooting with other pistols. It's tough with the LC9 because of it's size. It's more difficult when you're trying to quickly draw and get a shot off.

Woody55

I've never used the LC9, but I think I understand your problem from the baby Glock and a Kahr K40 I spent some time shooting. I am always a bit concerned I'll get a finger from my left hand in front of the muzzle or my thumb eaten by the slide as it moves.

I was once told that slow is smooth and smoot is fast. So I'm just patient. Figure I'll get quicker over time and keep my fingers!

Marquezj16

I was once told that slow is smooth and smoot is fast. So I'm just patient. Figure I'll get quicker over time and keep my fingers!

Plus one on this. When I practice with mine, I focus first on accuracy of both shots and speed gradually picks up.

Nanuk

The other thing is do not try to get the shots off fast. It is a new gun, learn to run the gun first. It is like going from a 4X4 pick up to a sports car, it takes some getting used to.