Help dating S&W 66

branrot

I'd been looking for a new (actually older, but new for me) S&W model 66 with wood stocks and a 4 inch barrel. I found one in like new shape at the gun show, and for $300 out the door, couldn't resist.

It's a 66-2. The partial serial number is ADT75XX. Can anyone tell me what year this gun was manufactured? Also, do you think I got a good deal (I do, but can always use the knowledgeable support). Finally, any other tidbits of knowledge regarding this gun would be appreciated.

FPrice

branrot...

It looks like this is a late 1984 production revolver by info in Supica and Nahas. I have found that in general M66's are pretty good revolvers. I think that $300 is a fair price from what I have seen here in Massachusetts, but could be a little high or low for your area depending upon availability and other factors. But I don't think that you should feel bad. In fact, it looks like you did good. I hope you enjoy this fine revolver.

FPrice

branrot...

"I posted at 10:48. I had a response by 11:02. 20 minutes by my math. FPrice, you're good!!! Thanks."

Aww shucks, what can I say? I studied at the feet of Mike Irwin.

I have three M66s myself, 2 1/2", 3", and 4". They are great firearms. To me they are a bit better than their blue counterparts.