Help choosing a scope

Holman

I have a Weatherby 270 (Vanguard) and I would like to put a scope on it. I know nothing about scopes. I will be hunting wild pigs and deer with this rifle, sometimes in the early morning when there is very little light. I need a scope that will be used for 50 to 100 yard shots. My budget for a scope is $400.00

k in AR

For the range you are talking about I have a 1.5-5 Leupold VXIII (on a 308) that works great. It is quick for close shots at the lower powers, even allowing shooting with both eyes open at 1.5 (with practice), and at 5 it is just fine for clean kills out to 150. I purchased mine for less than 350, used but sure didn't look it, even had the box and paperwork. Plus with Leupold they stand behind it 100% no matter how you purchansed it.
Some would think that the tube size "bell" would limit light, but I find mine to be brighter than most any of the 40mm I own. Great coating and low power are probably why.

tINY

A 270 and you don't plan on taking shots more than 100 yards? Seems like a lot flatter shooter than you need.

Anyway....

The best values are in the 3-9 x40 scopes. There's a lot of competition there. For under $400 you could get a Burris Signature, a Leupold Vx-II, Bushnell 3200, or Nikon Monarch. These are all good scopes, you just need to find one you like and a reticle you can uses (if you think you need it lit, the Firefly on Bushnells is nice).

But, if you really aren't going to take shots outside of 50-100 yards on pigs and deer, then a fixed 4x32 or a 2.5x28. of 2x20 is probably a better idea.

-tINY

joneb

k in ar , what is the objective diameter of your scope ? the lower the power the brighter the image. the larger the objective the more light it will gather. it would be good to no the exit pupil on the low power and make sure it does not exceed your own. or you would be waisting light.
for a example 7x50 binoculars have a 7.1 mm E.P. the E.P. of the human eye up to around 25 yrs of age is about 7 mm after that the the pupil diameter decreases with age. by the time you are 40 the pupil may only dilate to 5 mm at that age you are better off with 8x40 or 10x50's . this will apply to any optics but the math may differ.

Ruger4570

I agree with K in AR 100%. Most shooter seem to opt for the 3x to 9x which in my opinion is much too powerful even at 3x for 50 yard shots. I own many rifles and shotgun slug guns and they all have 1.5x to 4.5x to 6x scopes on them. I have one 3x to 9x and it is on a 22-250 and used for varmits only. I was a died in the wool 3x and up scope man for a lot of years til I tried a 1.5x to 5x on a buddies rifle and "saw the light" If you jump a deer up close even the 3x will cover too much deer and a small field of view to see it well. If a deer is so far away I need a 9x, well, I need to get closer to him then. If I had a .270 and was going ot west or somewhere the shots are real long, I might use a 3x to 9x, but for stands and close in shooting ( out to 200 yards) the high end of 4.5x to 6x is all you should ever .

Dirty_Harry

Bushnell trophy scopes are the best scopes for the money ($100-$200), and on a .270 I suggest a 3-9x40 scope.

I am firm believer on paying more for the gun than the scope.

RicMic

I also say 3x9-40. I have a Nikon Monarch on a 300 Win Mag and a Bushnell 3200 Firefly on the 22-250 (should be the other way around I guess). You can shoot a long way on 9X and I've found that close shots (20yds) I have never had trouble picking-up the target and placing the bullet where it needed to go. Then too the longest shot I ever made on a whitetail (just over 300yds) was made on 3X, in the heat of the moment, I forgot to crank the scope up to 9X!

Olaf

A 3-9 x 40mm variable is the most popular type of scope. Of course, the variable magnification (from 3x to 9x)...gives a lot of flexibility. However, most people NEVER have a need for anything above 6x. For hunting purposes, you'd do better to keep the magnification modest....say about 1x, per 50 yards of distance. Thus, for shooting at 50 yards...no magnification is needed.....for 200 yards...about 4x is all that most people ever need. The reason to keep the magnification on the "modest" side is that, with increased magnification, there is always a corresponding decrease in the field of view....and visual depth of field. 9x, in most cases, at say 200 yards, will narrow the field of view so much that, if the animal moves before you shoot....you may have trouble finding it again, in the scope. Even 3x is a bit much at 50 yards. Also, the higher the magnification, the more the optics will magnify small movements of the rifle, such as if shooting off-hand. A low-power scope will not produce nearly this effect, so that is also why I suggest about 1x per 50 yards of distance.

So, I would tend to suggest a low power scope, if your usual hunting distances will be 200 yards or less. A fixed 4x would be fine for all but less than 75 yards, roughly. Given the increased flexibility of a variable, the 1.5 -4.5x (or 1.5 - 5x) will cover 95 % of the hunting situations you are likely to ever encounter, plus be usable at short ranges, such as 50 yards. Such a scope would allow you to very comfortably, (if your shooting skills allow), to range out to at least 250 yards. The vast majority of deer in the US are taken at 200 yards or less....in fact, more than 50 % at 100 yards or less. So, I would second the suggestion for a 1.5 - 5x scope, or something similar.

As for objective size, this is another area where many people overdo it. A 40mm objective (or larger), simply isn't necessary unless one is using above 6x magnification. Exit Pupil is the important factor...and should always be considered when purchasing a scope. The larger the objective size, the higher the scope must be mounted, which can reduce accuracy (and certainly can make shooting less comfortable, depending on the stock design). Exit Pupil is the true measure of the light transmission of any scope - so forget about the claims of "93 % light transmission", etc., that many scope makers claim. The usuable light (Exit Pupil) is determined by dividing the objective size (in millimeters) by the magnification. So, a 3-9x x 40mm scope has exit pupil numbers of 13.3 to 4.4. The human eye cannot use more than 7mm of exit pupil (and that is when eyes are young)...and usually 5 or so, from about 40 years of age. So, you see, a 1.5 - 5x x 28mm scope, will have an exit pupil range of 18.6 to 5.6...perfectly adequate for the vast majority of hunting situations. I would, therefore, suggest, in addition to the 1.5 - 5X specification, that you choose a scope with a 28 - 32mm objective size, maximum. This will keep the scope lighter in weight....it can be mounted lower (leading to better shooting, very often)...yet will still cover 95 % of your possible needs.

Ruger4570

Olaf: Perfect, my point exactly and then some. The trouble is, those that buy the 3X to 9X may not in fact have any experience with a 1,5X to 4.5X etc. I have tried fixed powers, 2x to 7X,, 3X to 9X. I have found that the lower power variables are so much better in hunting situations. Any time I need more than 6X,, I am way to far away, and I am sure I could get a lot closer without spooking the game. IMHO

Olaf

Right on, Ruger 4570. I agree with you completely....and that is partly the reason I wrote that long-winded post. I thought that, being new to scopes, Holman could use a little "reality check". I have always favored fixed power scopes, myself. I did 90 % of my hunting with a fixed 4x. I did use a fixed 6x on an Elk rifle, some years ago, but the longest shot I actually have ever taken on game was about 235 yards (my third and last Elk). That is, in fact, the only time I have ever taken a shot beyond 200 yards (on game). I have always tried to keep my shots at 200 yards or below - just a personal "rule". Whatever scope choice one makes is his/ her business...but the 3-9 x 40 craze is a little silly, if you asked me. 2- 7x, or 1.5 -5x...or 4x....usually (as we both agree), will take care of 95 % of the hunting situations that most of us ever encounter. Personally, I'd rather not put up with the bulk and weight of a 3-9 x 40...or some such...if I don't absolutely need it. Plus, I strongly prefer LESS magnification, in a given situation, than more. I can shoot my iron- sighted rifles pretty accurately out to about 150 yards....so I hardly think I need lots of magnification at such distances. I do agree with you, though, that a low- powered variable is the best all-round choice, due to the extra flexibility it will provide.

Ruger4570

Olaf: I have taken 3 Elk when I lived in Arizona and all 3 were taken at less than 100 yards. I don't even know how many deer I have shot, but this past season I had a driven herd pass within 20 yards of me. If I had a scope set at 3X I probably couldn't take the shot as they were somewhat running. I set my scope at 1.5 X and in the event I need more power. I can easily crank it up. As I said, If I need a 9X scope, I am just too far away. The problem is that all the manufactures make the 3 to 9 their mainstay scopes and many hunters assume that they know more than we do so get a 3 to 9.You and I know the mistake in this thinking, I doubt we will ever convince others of what we say. So be it, we just KNOW better.

Holman

Thanks for all the helpful advice. :) I will be going out to look at some scopes very soon. I do have my eyes set on one scope in particular the Leupold VXIII 1.5 - 5 X 20 illuminated circle dot :D , I will also look at the Zeiss Conquest, Bushnell 3200 and 4200 with the firefly, and the Leopold VXII. :)

looks like there is a very good chance I may go over my budget.

expeditionx

If top quality for your dollar makes a difference to you,
the Zeiss and IOR sold by SWFA are about the best quality hands down for money you want to spend.
Zeiss and IOR are owned by the same people. They use the finest glass around. Superior optical glass by Schott Glasswerk, Germany
They both use a superior reticle system that many scope companies dont use because it costs more to make.
Both Zeiss and IOR use a photo engraved reticle. No cross hairs to break because it has no cross hairs. The lines are laser etched on a plane of high quality glass. This system is used by most military sniper scopes because its extremely reliable. Cross hairs can flex or break an etched reticle doesnt.
The overall construction of both of these scopes is way ahead of the other brands mentioned. A six power for hunting is all you need at 50-100 yards.
If you buy a 3x9 you can always keep it on 6 power for hunting. If you need it less than 6 you can always dial it down to 3 power.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-5762-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle-scope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-6134-291-ior-6x42-hunting-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx