Help ! can no one builda .460

EnoughGUN

Ok folks, I have tried everything I can think of but am unable to fine a smith capable of rechambering a witness for .460 Rowland. If anyone as knowledge of a smith that can build me a working .460 witness PLEASE forward me the info. At this point my only option will be to build a 1911. Ill even go as far to say if they are successful I'll send you $100 finders fee.

Bezoar

just call up the company that created the .460 rowland. they make conversion kits for just about anything. Sure youd have to pay 600 from them, but youll get new .460 magazines and reloading dies.

Sgt Pepper

I think that your only option is to build (or buy) an appropriate 1911. If your Witness does not have a forged steel frame, it will not survive the .460 Rowland.

.460 magazines and dies? I did not know there was such a thing. I have been using regular .45 acp mags and loading dies for my .460 with no problem.

Bezoar

If i read the rowland websiite correctly, the .460 rowland is a little longer then the normal 45 acp.

Hunter Customs

The 460 brass is a little longer, however when doing the 460 in a semi auto the OAL has to be the same as the 45 ACP so the rounds will fit in the mag.

If one wants to take full advantage of the 460, do the conversion in a revolver, then you can take advantage of the longer cartridge case.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Nathan

Bob would likely know better than I, but....

I think the issue with the 460 Rowland is that they are only making conversion kits...meaning, you can't get a reamer to make your own. What's worse is that they are drop in fit, so you get what you get.

I did got the impression somewhere that Clark's was also doing the conversion, so maybe they could do it with a custom fit. Still, they are likey bound by some licensing agreement.

EnoughGUN

I have contacted clark and the .460 Rowland site and neither seem like they are able to offer anything other then the 1911 barrels. From what I gather all you need is a 45 reamer. Im not getting why all these gun smiths advertise custom guns with all sorts of machine work and custom chamber work but cant ream a chamber a fraction of a tenth more.

Hunter Customs

Im not getting why all these gun smiths advertise custom guns with all sorts of machine work and custom chamber work but cant ream a chamber a fraction of a tenth more.

Reaming the chamber is the easy part, the liability issue when a gun blows up that was not designed for the pressure involved with the 460 is the tough one.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

newfrontier45

Im not getting why all these gun smiths advertise custom guns with all sorts of machine work and custom chamber work but cant ream a chamber a fraction of a tenth more.
Then one might just think that rechambering is not the only requirement. ;)

Actually, I would NOT do business with any gunsmith who would only do a rechamber for the .460, in an auto. I would assume him to be incompetent and place no value on his reputation, which is EVERYTHING for a gunsmith. Revolvers are a different story.

Sgt Pepper

Wild West Guns sells or did sell a conversion kit for Springfield XD45 5" pistols. No one, to my knowledge, converts Glocks for this format.

Yes, the .460 case is slightly longer than the .45 acp case, and supposedly stronger, too, but I cannot verify that. My Lee dies have plenty of adjustment to accomodate loading the .460 Rowland.