Help buying a Gen1 Glock

Venom1956

I found some Gen1 glock 17s for a ok price, finally. LEO trades I am told.

I cannot stand the newer frames but I've held the original and it is very comfortable.

Are there any wear/damage/issues that I should look into on the gen1 frame? I have three to sort though and I am not really concerned about the slide or any of that sort of wear that can all be replaced but I am not so sure about the frame. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

g.willikers

If they are LEO trades, I wouldn't worry.
They probably have been mostly carried and little used.
Glocks might be ugly and clumsy, :)p) but they are tough.

rebs

Most Glock police trade ins see little use other than once a year qualifying unless the guy was a gun shooter

Jim Watson

Glocks are pretty much forward compatible. Anything that fails can be cheaply replaced with the current part number.

There was what is known as the Six Part Upgrade in 1992.
There are different stories about why it was done.
1. Glock identified a safety or reliability fault and offered a fix.
2. Glock wanted to standardize on action parts for future service.

Skans

The Gen 1's were "2-pin" Glocks. All Glocks made after Gen 2 are 3-pin Glocks. Glock had failures with the 2-pin version as they tried to use this frame on non-9mm versions it was introducing. The recoil impulse at the locking block caused the plastic to stretch and the locking block was rotating around that single forward pin causing problems. I heard this became a problem with .40; and I've read that it was a problem with 10mm's.

In 9mm, 2-pin Glocks work just fine - 3rd pin isn't necessary. That's the biggest difference internally that I'm aware of. Still, you might want to make sure the locking block is still solidly affixed to the frame. I have a 2nd Gen 2-pin Glock that works perfectly. I'd like to find a really nice 1st Gen Glock (not a police trade).

Venom1956

Yeah I plan to just use the police trade I would also very much like mint gen1. But at this point I'll take any gen1 I can be choosy after I've got one.

I just thought id check make sure there isnt a harder to find/replace part on the 2 pin models or something

JOCO34

If you send them to Glock they most likely will replace the springs and do a check on the weapon for free.