Help before I sell my rifle!

Quick1

I have a Kimber Montana 338 Win Mag which I can no longer shoot comfortably due to a recent shoulder surgery. It has a .560 barrel diameter and I am being told it is to small to threat for a muzzle break. Any other ideas to reduce recoil before I am forced to sell it?

Longshot4

Hay Quick one:
I can understand you being discouraged. Even with your shoulder surgery after a year or two it might not be so bad. If you don't think that time will heal the shoulder then it might be time to get rid of it. I have seen some light hand loads that might be able to help you out. Now that's if you want to call 200Gr. Bullet at 2800 Fps. light. Also pad that shoulder well before you try any thing. If the rifle is used for Hunting then why not try some thing lighter. A 308 with 168gr. Barns Triple Shock with plastic tip would could do some real damage If you hit the target and place it in a semi-auto it would cut the kick. Some times we have to take a different road to get where we want to go. Good Luck

Savage99

Even if you handload the 180 gr 338 bullet down to 308 velocity it's still going to kick.

I like those Kimbers and have them in smaller calibers.

Sell the 338 and get yourself a treat with a new cartridge. If you don't have a 243 it's a very useful one for varmints this summer and bigger game this fall.

Deja vu

the muzzle break listed above is a good idea.

Other Ideas are

Magnaporting
Slip on recoil pad
Suppressor
Mercury recoil reducer
adding weight (especially to the muzzle end)
One of those shoulder pads

all of which will reduce recoil

Hey what's the bbl length?

If it's at least about 23" or so, and if you're gonna have a gunsmith take the barrel off to turn it for threads, then you might consider the cost savings of just turning down the barrel and re-chambering for .338 Federal while you're at it. .338 Federal with a brake would be a *****cat (almost). The action will be "too long" but won't hurt anything - it will still feed fine (and you can use really long bullets if you want). If the barrel is already off, the marginal cost of turning down and reaming isn't that much. But you're gonna lose some barrel length.

Or handload some reduced loads.

And/or the other recoil-reducing suggestions above.

Savage99

Sell the rifle as it is and don't modify it.

Any .338" with a 180 gr bullet will kick.

Buy a 243.

Also the bolt face on the .338 WM is too large for the .338 Fed.

jmr40

Sell it. Loading it with anything less then 250 gr bullets and you might as well be shooting a 30-06 anyway.

Duzell

ok just wait a sec, there are plenty of ways to reduce recoil of a firearm, muzzle break as stated above, along with added weight to the stock, a heavy bipod on the front, and also a shoulder jell pad that can be worn , all that in combination can greatly reduce impact onto a operator, as well as a recoil pad on the gun.

now if you dont want to go through the hassle i can understand, but just pointing out, that a combination of things can be done to reduce its recoil. now the current price of a new one is 1000$+
so you could sell it and get a newer firearm that has a better recoil system

your choice, but tell us your thoughts on another caliber, make sure you try a varaity to make certain it wont be an issue with your rehabilitating and all

Quick1

So several people have recommended adding weight to the stock, but it is a carbon fiber stock so I do not think I could add weight to it. BUT, i do really like the look at laminated stocks. Any thoughts or recommendations about making the rifle heavier by replacing the original stock with a nice laminated black or gray stock. Also, any recommendations on who makes a high quality laminated stock?

Duzell

get a boyds stock, or its equal(i like boyds laminate)

you then remove the recoil pad on back and make a few holes(easy way is to get a drill)

you then add buck shot or lead weights into these holes(buck is easy to do as its flows and adds weight quickly)

you then at points not needed for the rifles function, drill more holes and add buck shot, (some front, bottom, side, top, and back) then to fill, use wood cement or jb weld. sand and your good, as laminate is very easy to work with. make sure you test how the weight feels and dont make it to front heavy.

next add slip on recoil pad+check riser(more weight you see)

then attach a muzzle break. and hook on a Harris steel bipod (9-13 works best for me) that should plenty reduce the weight and allow precise shooting

maybe adding a 30mm scope , that could add more weight on the back or middle depending on were you place it

Kimber84

So several people have recommended adding weight to the stock, but it is a carbon fiber stock so I do not think I could add weight to it. BUT, i do really like the look at laminated stocks. Any thoughts or recommendations about making the rifle heavier by replacing the original stock with a nice laminated black or gray stock. Also, any recommendations on who makes a high quality laminated stock?

The problem is finding a drop in stock for a Kimber. Fitting it and having it bedded or doing it yourself will almost merit just buying a different caliber. I've looked high and low, these are the only guys I can find that make aftermarket Kimber stocks. I was trying to find a synthetic for my 06' finally gave up and just bought a Montana in what I wanted.

http://www.mpistocks.com

Dirty_Harry

You guys make me laugh! Why are we recommending a .243 or a .260 without even knowing what he uses it for!

What if he consistently hunts elk, musk ox, bison, bears or moose?

Who wants a .243 for any of those? :eek:

I know the .243 or .260 would kill any of them, but thats a stupid argument.

If he is just a deer hunter I am sure he would use such a beast or has a different rifle.

Quick1, what do you use the rifle for?

Quick1

Dirty_Harry, I am in the military and move all over the place. My goal is to have two rifles that I can hunt everything from the small stuff to the big stuff and everything in between. I may one day find myself stationed in Alaska and get the opportunity to hunt there. I already have a 270 WSM for the small to medium. The 338 is meant to handle the medium to large.

Quick1

All, thanks for the info. Here is an update. After looking at everything posted here and other research, I have determined I can definitely not install a muzzle brake on my current 338. Since I cannot get the recoil reduction I am looking for without that, my new plan is to sell my current rifle and buy a new 338 with a heavier stock and a larger diameter barrel that I can thread a muzzle brake. Therefore, rifle for sale if anyone is interested and give me your recommendations on 338 options that fit the above description.

Dirty_Harry

Thanks for the info quick!

I know it wouldnt be a ton different than the 270 you already have, but a 300 mag or a 300 wsm (even a 30-06) would accomplish what you need.