Help - Anyone have experience with NAA Mini?

PropellerHead

A good friend of mine offered to give me his NAA Mini revolver. He bought it for his wife to carry, but neither of them could hit anything with it. He said that the firing-pin on the hammer broke and now it won't fire.

Two questions:
1) What kind of accuracy (grouping) can be expected from the Mini, with a 1 1/8" bbl, shooting .22lr?
2) Has anyone replaced a hammer on a Mini? How difficult is this to do?

Any help is appreciated! :D

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Here are more threads on the NAA revolvers:
[Link to invalid post]
[Link to invalid post]

[Link to invalid post]

[Link to invalid post]

[Link to invalid post]

Gunslinger

PropHead, as Son showed you the little minis are fairly popular around here. ;)
I will address you two specific questions though....even though I know the first has been addressed before.
I can't get decent groups out of mine but other members report they get some respectable groups with theirs. They claim, and I'm sure they are correct, that like any gun it requires practice. Something I freely admit I have done little of with mine.
The hammer. A friend of mine purchase as used mini, third, fourth (who knows) handed about a year ago. This gun looked like it had been used as a hammer. I called NAA, explained he was not the original owner and that the gun had been abused and was not working. They instructed him to ship it to them. He did and about a month later the gun came back in like new condition.....free of charge.
Now if your friend is just getting rid of it you may also tell him to feel free to ship it frieght collect to Gunslingers in Springfield, Missouri. I'll see to it that it gets a nice home and it will have a .22 mag. sibling to play with. ;)

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!

AUTiger73

Never had a problem with my Mini. The failure you decribe is most likely due to someone DRY FIRING the gun.

For those less informed, - - -
THE 1st RULE OF RIMFIRES IS TO NEVER, NEVER DRY FIRE THE GUN. BY THAT I MEAN NEVER, NEVER "SNAP" THE GUN BY DROPPING THE HAMMER OR FIRING FIN ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER.

Dry firing may result in a broken hammer nose, firing pin, and/or the peening of the rim of the chamber. If the rim of the chamber is peened it will likely result in MISFIRES.

MY ADVICE is to take the gun and return it to North American Arms for repairs. Their customer service is widely known to be the same as their products, EXCELLENT!

One comment on accuracy: This is a "GET-OFF-ME GUN" and would be best deployed when you can smell the perp's bad breath and have no other alternative but to fight your way out of a bad situation. As a lawyer would say, IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU DEFINE ACCURACY. The NAA Mini Revolver is more than enough accurate for its intended use.

[This message has been edited by AUTiger73 (edited September 12, 2000).]

PropellerHead

I suspected that this was a quality little piece of machinery. It sounds like a nice addition to anyone's armory. :D
I received an email from NAA's customer service department, suggesting that I send it in for repair. With all of the information that you good folks have given me, I think I'll do just that.

Thanks again! When I do get it to the range, I'll let everyone here know what kind of groups I get. :)

Odd that certain threads seem to recurr at intervals - yes indeed, we've been over the NAA Mini 22's and such before - Gunslingers comments are true thoug. I've had mine for a while now, live in mountain country and when it gets warm we get a sort of 'rattler without the rattle' - undesirable within the garden area and the Mini, loaded wit CCI shotshells, is an efficient eliminator (outside, in the brush, we leave the critters alone). Now as to a 'defense weapon' ... well, again - 'if you shoot someone with a 22 they just may become annnoyed with you..." and it would take a lot of training to shoot a NAA accurately enough to do any effective persuasion: Not too different to say, throwing knives.
Amen to customer service and quality: excllent!
Anyhow, i have carried one around at times -
Hasta pronto - Peter Knight
Of Course, a 44 mag can be much more 'persuasive'... beats four aces anytime :)