Help a RIFLE Newbie out...

jg0001

So, while I await for an AR/AK style rifle to become available, I'm looking at other choices, but I just cannot get a sense for what is out there.

I suppose a good way to phrase my question is this:
-- In the rifle world, what is the 9mm and 45 ACP equivalent in terms of:
-----(a) prevalency of ammo (i.e. any gun store would carry it)
-----(b) general utility

I don't want to buy something esoteric or something too far on one end (tiny 22LR) or the other (50 BMG). So I say again, what's the "common" use rifle caliber? I don't want to buy the 10mm or 45GAP of the rifle world.

I'm not a hunter, so this would be used mostly for (a) plinking, (b) SHTF, and (c) just to have. Ammo cost should be under $2 a round, otherwise, I'm open to suggestions. [Please specify CALIBER and perhaps a good example of a rifle to consider (under $2500)]

Last edited:

PointOneSeven

.223 is a pretty common one, and rounds are cheap when compared to other rounds. There isn't a real gun shop that wouldn't have that caliber.

*edit* I guess you could call that the '9mm' of the rifle world. Maybe .308 would be considered the '.45 acp.'

Last edited:
Maybe a 7.62x39, if you want an AK getting a bolt gun in this cal might not be a bad idea so you have 2 guns 1 cal.

just a thought I like ammo simplicity.

T

Big Bill

I'd say 30-30 and 30-06. They are very effective and every gunstore should carry the ammo. Both calibers have killed a large portion of game in the US. I believe a person could get by nicely with a Marlin W336 30-30, a Remington 870 12 gage and a Ruger 10-22. I've got all three guns and then some.

Jekyll

Well, since you said plinking and not target shooting, I read your interests to be something for fun shooting. On the chance you place fun over SHTF, I'll suggest a Mini 14. The .223 will be a good round that meets your stated needs and the Mini will be a nice, fast action (read that "fun plinker") rifle. Also, I think a .357 or .44 Magnum lever gun would satisfy your purposes. Ammo for all three is very available (with the exception of the current, short-term shortages). All three will provide man-stopping power to 100 yards with the .223 much farther than that. All 3 are short for close quarters. All will give fast, controllable follow up shots.

jg0001

Sorry, I assumed plinking = target shooting. I'll be shooting only paper at an indoor range for some time to come. But I'd still like to own something good at 100yds+.

dannyb

Probably not for indoor range, but for longer distance either 30-06 or .308. I went with 30-06. As explained to me by a couple of people, if you're out in the wilds of W. VA and you stop to get gas. Inside the station they will sell oil, Moon Pies, and boxes of 30-06.

Closer in, 7.62 X 39 or .223.

Closer yet .22

Ultra close - Old Spice.:barf:

Jekyll

JG, sorry to missunderstand your intent. Here's the Wikipedia definition of plinking which explains my answer:

Plinking refers to informal target shooting done at non-traditional targets such as tin cans, glass bottles, and balloons filled with water.[1] The term is an onomatopoeia of the sound a bullet or other projectile makes when hitting a tin can, or other similar target, referring to the sharp, metallic sound, known as a "plink".

Firearms of all calibers and types are commonly used for plinking. At one end of the power range, .50 caliber rifles have been taken to the desert and used to shatter boulders. But undoubtedly the most common caliber used for plinking is the .22 Long Rifle rimfire cartridges[2], since those rounds are relatively inexpensive and have a low report. Many young people use Airguns and airsoft guns for plinking, because they can be very inexpensive, are perceived as safer because they are usually much less powerful than cartridge firearms, and also because in some countries, airguns don't require a firearms licence, or are subject to less stringent regulation.

SigSire

Why not get an AR now? You mention you're waiting for them to become available, but they are available now.

I know where you can buy an Smith and Wesson M&P 15 OR (new) now, if you're interested. (not me)

Maybe I'm missing your point....

Swampghost

A Wallyworld Savage package in .223, .243, 30-30 or 30-06 should fill the bill for your interem and long term. Pick the cal. to meet your needs.

troy_mclure

pick yourself up a garand in .30-06. a high grade one is way under your price range. they are semi auto for rapid fire, and can be super accurate.

jg0001

Why not get an AR now? You mention you're waiting for them to become available, but they are available now.

I know where you can buy an Smith and Wesson M&P 15 OR (new) now, if you're interested. (not me)

Maybe I'm missing your point....

I'm in New Jersey, which implies I need a NJ compliant rifle. There is a difference and that results in far fewer supplies to NJ and makes it difficult if not impossible for me to order from anyone who is outside the state (and be sure I'm getting something compliant).

Last edited:

JagFarlane

Ahhhhh NJ laws...and people wonder why I'll never move back to my home state :rolleyes:

Anyways, for rifles it would seem, the .22 is standard issue, Ruger 10/22 being one of my favs and very easy to get mod-parts.
Other calibers that are generally easily found in most places that carry ammo: 30-30, 30-06, .270 Win, .308, .223, 7mm Rem Mag, .300. There are, of course, many other calibers out there, and some have some recent improvements on older cartridges, the 30-30 Leverolution ammo by Hornady coming to mind.

If you wish to shoot 100+ yards, all of those rounds should handle your needs nicely, though I'd go with Hornady's new rounds for the 30-30. All should also be found in bolt-action and lever action rifles. Rounds like the .270 Win, you'll find, are actually capable, in the right hands and right rifle/scope of hitting 500+ yards accurately.

.223 ammo, is becoming a bit scarce at the moment, but thats mostly due to the Obama scares and people stockpiling.

If you're looking at AR/AK variants, you may also want to take a gander at Sig 556's and Springfield Arms M1A's, they're great rifles as well.

SigSire

Well, as of today, according to our new administration, we will all be SOL on "assault weapons"......unless you already have one.

Inspector3711

Why is some fighting in Mexico between the government and the drug cartels have anything to do with me owning an AK or AR in Washington state? Their thought process baffles me. Paranoid little buggers.