Help a novice get the right start on getting the right AR

SEKLEM

I'm learning about ARs but I'm still a novice. I'm not sure if it's a good idea for me to build an AR or buy one. Do I need more than a novice level of knowledge to build a quality AR?

A smidgen of history - About a year ago I acquired in a trade a Bushmaster XM15-E2S with the fixed A2 handle. It was heavy, the stock didn't fit properly on the buffer tube, and I generally wasn't impressed with it. I traded it off and got another handgun that I really wanted.

Yesterday I happened across a genuine Eotech 512.A65 for a song and my interest in having an AR has re-surged. I'm thinking a flat top is the best way to go for this kind of optic. I don't think I want a picatinny rail for the barrel, I'd like something lighter that I could still affix other accessories should I choose to add them, but if I can shave more weight by getting a traditional A2 for-grip or Magpul I might do that instead. I'm not looking to have lasers and all manors of tactical gear on the rifle. Weight is probably the most important factor to me right now.

I recently looked at the CORE-15 Keymod and while it has the overall features that appear to look good on paper and it looks nice, it's a tad heavy.

I also looked at a flat top DPMS Oracle, but I'm thinking for under $500 something has to give. It weighs less than the CORE 15 Keymod as well as the Bushy XM15-E2S I had. It does have a little picatinny rail right at the end of the for-grip that allows installation of some manor of sight. Might consider adding magpul popup sights unless it's completely unnecessary. I get conflicting information about this.

I'll go ahead and stop there and await some feedback before I get carried away. I'm just looking to get pointed in the right direction.

joe sixgun

I picked up an Oracle just before Christmas. So far so good. It was gritty at first but a good cleaning and lube job has done wonders. Accuracy is not bad but I haven't had a chance to test many different loads yet so I expect it to get better. Overall very satisfied with the purchase.

SEKLEM

joe sixgun said:
I picked up an Oracle just before Christmas. So far so good. It was gritty at first but a good cleaning and lube job has done wonders. Accuracy is not bad but I haven't had a chance to test many different loads yet so I expect it to get better. Overall very satisfied with the purchase.

Rural King has it on sale right now for $559.99. I don't know what a Chrome Moly barrel is, but I'm understanding that a chrome lined barrel is better. It's good to hear the grittiness was resolved after cleaning and lube.

pilpens

For approx $500, you should be able to get a good carbine with a carbine or mid length gas system to start with. Check out Palmetto State Armory and Aim Surplus for complete lowers, uppers, CH and BCG.
PSA's selection changes all the time. Wait for sale prices.

rickyrick

Can you tighten a bolt, install roll-pins and springs?
If you know what a roll-pin and a spanner wrench is, then you are well on your way to being able to assemble an AR.

Next question is: Would you enjoy putting something together or would it make you frustrated?

Don't build one to save money. Money can be saved in the process, but you can also rack it up in shipping, if not careful.

Do what you can afford most and gain the most enjoyable experience from..,.
Buy it complete if you wish, nothing wrong with that.

SEKLEM

For approx $500, you should be able to get a good carbine with a carbine or mid length gas system to start with. Check out Palmetto State Armory and Aim Surplus for complete lowers, uppers, CH and BCG.
PSA's selection changes all the time. Wait for sale prices.

I'll take a look at those. Thank you.

rickyrick said:
Can you tighten a bolt, install roll-pins and springs?
If you know what a roll-pin and a spanner wrench is, then you are well on your way to being able to assemble an AR.

Next question is: Would you enjoy putting something together or would it make you frustrated?

Don't build one to save money. Money can be saved in the process, but you can also rack it up in shipping, if not careful.

Do what you can afford most and gain the most enjoyable experience from..,.
Buy it complete if you wish, nothing wrong with that.

I know what a roll-pin is, though I've never installed roll-pin. I'm assuming it's not too difficult. However I do not have any familiarity with a spanner wrench. :eek:

I would prefer to be able to just purchase an AR that has the features I'd like to have.

101combatvet said:

Ultimately I'd like to do that. It's a lot of money to spend, though I'm not saying I wouldn't. I didn't set a budget for myself on this endeavor which is risky.

Which model did you have in mind in particular?

marine6680

PSA and others have complete uppers and lowers. Buy the upper you want, the lower... And stick them together, no work or skill needed.

It's usually cheaper than buying a complete rifle, and it allows you to customize a bit, by getting an upper with features you want.

How much is your budget? If you said, I missed it.

Budget can play a big role in what you can do.

PSA has low prices to mid range prices, depending on the features and options. Their top of the line CHF premium uppers are very good, and hold up well next to respected names in the AR world.

A higher end AR like a BCM, will cost over $1000, but are top quality. They also offer uppers and lowers separately... With many options available.

There is no reason a beginner can't go with a higher end rig like BCM or DD, but no reason to do it either.

I always recommend a mid length gas system for a 16in barreled rifle.

Free float isn't necessary for a basic carbine, it's mostly just aesthetic reasons, and the ability to mount accessories easily, but I'm a believer in not hanging a bunch of crap on a rifle.

Free floating is more important to precision based builds.

You can get a lightweight profiled barrel, if you want to shave off several ounces, but there are always trade offs with any choice made. For most shooters the trade offs won't affect them, and a lightweight barrel will work just fine.

marine6680

Stainless steel wylde barrel... That says precision slow fire focused build to me.

Cheaper rifles tend to the heavier end of things, as the cheaper handguards and parts tend to be heavier. Less machining and removed material.

Keep in mind, that lighter weight cost more... You get less "stuff"... material... But pay more. Just how it goes.:p

marine6680

And while Colt makes a good AR, they are nothing special, unless you just want the pony on the side of your rifle.

They don't offer mid length, so I tend to not recommend them.

SEKLEM

marine6680 said:
And while Colt makes a good AR, they are nothing special, unless you just want the pony on the side of your rifle.

I do like the pony on the side, but it's not necessary.

marine6680 said:
They don't offer mid length, so I tend to not recommend them.

What is the benefit of mid length?

I didn't set a budget, I'm in the exploratory stage right now.

101combatvet said:
What will you being using the AR for?

Reasons listed in order of importance:

* home defense
* range toy
* possible future in tactical training and drills

I'm visiting PSA right now and I'll check out BCM after that.

Thank you for your help gentlemen (and ladies if there are any).

IdahoG36

OP, I just thought I'd mention that L-3 communications (maker of EOTech) was sued by the U.S. government for supplying defective sights to the military. They are also doing a buy back program for people that purchased EOTech sights as well.
Just run a Google search for "EOTech buyback" and read up on it.

SEKLEM

@IdahoG36 Thank you, I was not aware of that. I bought mine second hand for a stupid low price. There does not appear to be anything wrong with it other than some minimal wear from when it was obviously mounted and adjusted.

EDIT: I did some research. I feel a little disheartened about the EOTech 512.A65. I guess the issue is with environment (cold temperature and moisture). For the $193 spent, I think I'll keep it for now.

Last edited:

SEKLEM

@101combatvet I forgot about investment value.

Revised list of factors in order of importance

* home defense
* flat top (for optics)
* weight (lighter is preferred)
* range toy
* investment value
* possible future in tactical training and drills

With all that in mind I think a 16" barrel is probably what I'm after.

SEKLEM

CDNN sports has complete "custom" AR-15 M4 uppers sans BCG and CH starting at $279, and "custom" AR-15 upper with Wylde 16" barrel and LWCR quad rail starting at $350. Does anyone know what these are comprised of? Should I assume lowest common denominator since they aren't specific?

chris in va

Having owned a S&W Sport a few years, I recommend you get a mid length gas system. Not that 223 has much recoil, but compared to the rifle length I borrowed recently it feels like it has more recoil than it should.

Frankly if I had to do it over again I'd get a 20" rifle instead. :cool:

That being said, I rarely take it to the range. It's a great gun and all but it really burns up ammo and I much prefer my CZ Carbine.

Brando1992

That anderson looks like a great entry rifle for the money! And I think it would fit your purposes quite well. Throw on some 45*sights or magpul BUIS and your good to go. Later down the road you could put an upgraded trigger in it and if you really want you can replace the barrel for a chrome lined without paying much for it. :)