Help a Newb in IPSC, firearm choice.

HKFan9

I made this post in the competition shooting forum but no responses, figuered I'd post in the higher traffic of semi-auto forum, Mods, feel free to delete the other one please.

Well I'm going to be 23 and I have basically given up rifle shooting for my new found love pistol shooting. I was recently invited to go to a local IPSC match that is coming up. I don't know too much about it, and obviously never have been. I've been reading up and found you can go with a service pistol and 4 mags. I'm am currently listing to sell my USP so I asked a buddy if I could borrow his M&P 9mm with 4 mags and he said its no problem. So I was thinking of shooting the M&P this first time to get a feel for things and it definitely looks like something I want to pursue further. So here are my questions.

Firearms: personally I prefer 9mm, keeps the cost and the recoil down, I was thinking the Springfield 1911 in 9mm, but the question was if 4 mags of single stack would hold enough rounds for these competitions, again, I don't know how it works really. I see these guys running around with custom double stack pistols so I wasn't sure if a single stack 9mm would hold enough rounds.

Also was considering a CZ -75 maybe, I've also heard good and bad things about the EAA's, good being their entry level MATCH gun.

Another consideration I guess would be para -ord.

I'm not looking to drop 1000's on a custom 1911, but I would prefer to have a nice steel framed 9mm, any thoughts or opinions would be great.

I am not new to shooting or firearms, I own a few handguns and more rifles and shotguns than I could possibly ever need. I am new to the IPSC style of shooting and would like a nice gun to keep just for that.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated so have at it please.

TheNev

I don't know anything about competitive shooting, but I do speak from experience for CZ products.

CZ 75's are fantastic guns. They're inexepensive, very high quality, feel great, have amazing ergonomics and the list goes on.

My P-01 is exremely accurate, and put together very well. I like it so much I bought a VZ-82 surplus 9x18. That is also very well put together, and I'm on the lookout for a 52 for Tokarev shooting fun.

I can't recommend anything in CZ more.

Keltyke

I'll vote Springfield XDm in 9mm. 19+1 will give you plenty of ammo. It's a fine, accurate, reliable piece. Easy shooter, too.

mjoy64

The best choice for a gun depends a lot on which division you shoot. Given your preferences... steel gun, 9mm, 1911 style, moderate budget... well you may have to adjust at least one of those preferences.

Some thoughts...

If shooting a 9mm is top priority, you should shoot the Production Division. Due to the scoring in IPSC/USPSA you will give away a lot of advantage shooting 9mm in any other division. It is possible to load 9mm to a major power factor, but that is typically done in high $ open guns (and you need to reload your own ammo). 9mm at a major power factor is a bit harder on guns, but there seems to be more open shooters doing it these days due to the cost of 38 super ammo. Probably the best choice for a 9mm production gun would be a CZ (see links).

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/82/products_id/21613

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/82/products_id/21628

If you want to shoot a 9mm in Production and can get past the "steel" requirement, the Glock 34 and the M&P Pro 9mm are both excellent choices and are very popular.

If you can get past the choice of 9mm for caliber, the Glock 35 is a good starter for shooting the limited division.

If shooting a 1911 style single stack is a priority, you'll probably want something chambered in .45. I don't have as much experience in this area, but if you are on a budget, you might take a look at the STI Trojan.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=3060000-1095448521

My last thought is that I'd have no less than 6 magazines and 4 mag pouches for shooting IPSC/USPSA. These matches can have long field courses with 30+ minimum round counts. You probably need more for if you decide to go single stack.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Last edited:

HKFan9

Thanks for the great replies, I went down to my local shop and the owner is a IPSC shooter and a really nice guy who knows me so I asked him. As much as my fanboyness of HK really hates to say it, I'm leaning towards a Glock 17 RTF he has there for a good price and maybe swap the sites and trigger spring for a little bit of a lighter one since this will not be carried. He shoots a Glock and he's said to get a Glock of the M&P and I will have a ball, he even offered to let me shoot the match I'm going to with his Glock 34. Like I said hes a real nice guy that's why I give him all my business.

I'm going to shoot my friends M&P in the match and probably end up picking up a Glock 17. It was nice and lightweight, fit my hand OK, the HK was a little too big for my hand to do any IPSC shooting with I personally feel, so I guess ill give Glock a try. Still eying the CZ's but the fact of the matter I can get anything I need for a Glock practically anywhere, and they are definitely affordable.

poortrader

Don't forget that IPSC has different categories to keep you competitive for your gun of choice. If you are going to shoot a Glock 17 in limited class, you will lose out on your scoring because of the power factor situation. 9mm scores less than a .40 caliber. Basically, something like if you get an 'A' zone score it only counts as 'B' zone.

If you shot a Glock 17 in production, you will be limited to only 10 rounds. There are a lot of shooters that use either a Glock 17 or 19 around my area. Most production shooters carry at least 4 mags on the belt and one in the gun. If you get a Glock 35, you can have the ability to shoot either limited 10 or limited because of the higher power factor of the .40 caliber round.

It's not a matter of having enough rounds, but rather having enough mags to do changes. The maximum round count for a stage is 32, but that doesn't mean you won't shoot more. A lot of shooters (gamers) like to change/reload mags after each subsection in a stage while moving to the next section. The shooters will never let their gun run empty. Each subsection usually requires 8 rounds unless the match is revolver friendly then it drops to 6 rounds.

Pick a gun that you will enjoy to shoot and there will be a class to fit your needs. I usually shoot limited 10 with my Les Baer, but I can also shoot single stack, and sometimes I will shoot production with my Sig 226.