Help a dumb auto-head

Navy joe

I am an auto guy, I think I have fired a revolver once. Gotta get some old cowboy guns though, looks like fun. My question is though, I believe that Taurus turned out a relatively compact 7 shot .357. If so, which one is it and who do i want to work on it to modify for carry?

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Joe,

Taurus makes both a 7 and an 8 shot revolver in .357, the Model 617 and 608. Both come in variations, including short barrels. They also make some 5 and 6 shot .357 revolvers, as does Ruger. S&W has the 7-shot 686 Plus and a number of smaller guns in .357.

Jim

Doc Hudson

Navy Joe,

You said "old cowboy guns". Taurus will not fill that bill.

If you are wanting some single-action revolves for Cowboy Action Shooting or SASS competition, you will have to buy single-action revolvers, i.e. revolvers in which you must thumb the hammer back prior to every shot.

The Taurus revolvers you mentioned are Double-Action revolvers, i.e. they can be fired using either the thumb cocking mode or with the trigger cocking and firing in one motion.

So, what are you looking for? A good DA revolver for defense, plinking, hunting or target shooting? Or are you looking for a Single-action for Cowboy Shoots?

Doc

Navy joe

Believe me Doc, I'm familiar with op principles and characteristics of both Da and SA revolvers, I just don't shoot them. I guess my post was confusing, I just mentioned cowboy guns in conversation since SA, preferably precussion guns are the only wheelguns that fascinate me. asked the question about the Taurus because I remember reading about a Ti frame seven shot in .357mag, wanted to know if anybody had exp. w/ them, good source, and good custom shops to work on it. Carry only, don't think shooting full power loads in a short barrel Ti will be too much fun, just looking for an ulra-reliable light rust-resistant weapon. Thank you for your help and any further ideas.

Doc Hudson

Sorry Joe,

No offense meant. You know how some folks went to automatics before getting the basics on a sixgun, I had no idea how familiar you might be with revolvers.

I have not shot any of the TI guns but I hate the feel of them. As a kid I had capguns that were heavier. I would not want to shoot a box of heavy +P loads.

I am sort of an odd ball. I prefer toting the additional weight of steel than having to deal with the added recoil of alloy revolvers. My favorite pocket gun is an S&W M-640 in .357 Magnum. I took the oversized rubber grips off and replaced them with the skinny wooden J-frame grips made over twenty years ago. They are not as comfortable to shoot with as the rubber grips, but they do not add to the bulk of the gun and your clothing will not stick to them and make your pistol print through your clothes.

Take a good look at the S&W M-640 and the M-638. I reallylike my M-640, but it the M-638 had been available in .357 Mag at the time I bought it, I'd have bought the M-638 to have single-action capability.

Doc Hudson