Help!! - 9mm load for steel??

jawper

Just found out that some of the targets at the Blackwater IDPA match will be steel. They will need to be knocked down in order to be counted as neutralized. Normally, on cardboard, 115 grain 9mm out of my P7M8 is just fine. Against steel, the organizer suggested I bring some +P or heavier weight stuff. The match is this weekend so I ran over to my local store today and picked up some Win 147 grain FMJ in the white box (has a slightly flattened tip). Seemed to perform just fine (damn P7 feeds anything - boring!) and shot just a tad high.

My other option, I suppose, is to use some defensive stuff (have standard pressure 147, +P 115, +P 125, and +P+ 115 available) but I think that might be a waste.

Does this sound like something which will be effective on the steel targets? Any other suggestions? Forgive the ignorant question but I've never done this before and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

Clark

I have nuke loads for the 9mm.
Quick load estimates some of them at 70,000 psi.
That cannot be right, I have not had a bulged case yet.
The model in Lee's "Modern Reloading" puts the pressures at 45,000 psi.
I think Quick load is having trouble with compressed loads [fill case to top and compress with bullet until hollow point closes]]

Hard Case

Do you reload? If so, I shot in an IPSC once with my 9mm and I found that a 125 gr. LTC (lead truncated cone) standard reload would make the plates lay down with no problem. If you are a factory ammo man I would say stick with the 125 or 125+P. The bullet drop on a 147 is terrible once the paper targets start getting further away and the added recoil does nothing to help inprove your time especially if you are not used to shooting 147's alot.

EQP

I can't really weigh in on the choice of which +p round but I will offer up this bit of advice. Hit the steel high and they will fall nearly every time. Using a 9mm on steel requires shot placement at the uppper 15 - 20 percent of the target for it to reliably go down. Since you don't have the extra weight of the .40 or especially the .45, you need to be sure of your shot placement to clean those stages well.

ymmv,
Evan

railroader

I'll agree with Hard Case. I reload 125gr. bullets at standard velocity and I have no problem with plates or poppers. I even have loaded hot .380's in my makarov and they took the steel down.

C.R.Sam

Had good luck with warm 125gr from 2.5" .38spec, hit em high and they all fall down. Should work with the 9X19

Sam...my favorite 9mm is the 9X32R

jawper

Many thanks to all who replied to this question.

I ended up grabbing two white boxes of Win 147 grain. I used one for function and performance testing and took the other to the shoot. Seemed to work quite well on the steel although I ended up running out.

You all were right on: hitting them high even with 115 was the key. I could get really addicted to the instant gratification and occasional enormous frustration of shooting steel. Great fun!

Thanks again.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

jtduncan

If you reload, go to the top of the manufacturer's end point after you've work up the load - and the plates should far hard for you.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG

jdthaddeus

Clark: What is Quick load?

Also Clark, I posted in the reloading forum that I need some hot 124gr 9mm loads, so please go over there and chime in with some of your load data if you would.

Regarding steel, I shoot it all the time. It is a blast! Once you shoot steel, you are addicted!
I have no problem with 9mm on steel. I shoot all varieties of steel reactive targets using mostly 9mm, and even the largest steel falls, even when hit in the bottom few inches of the reactive target.
I used to even load my 9mm load VERY light (to go easy on the gun etc) and I still have never once had a steel not fall when I hit it anywhere, even on the bottom.

If you are using standard 9mm factory loads, I cannot fathom why you would have a problem.

S&B appears to make some pretty hot 9mm FMJ practice ammo BTW, if you are looking for some inexpensive practice ammo that has no problem putting down the steel.

[This message has been edited by jdthaddeus (edited August 14, 2000).]