Hellcat sight

jetinteriorguy

Has anyone been able to drift the rear sight on a Hellcat? No matter what I do mine won’t budge. I’ve tried a good quality sight pushing tool, a brass punch and hammer, and every penetrating oil I have to no avail.

TunnelRat

Back when I had XDs and XDms I remember that Springfield Armory was infamous for how hard it was to move their sights.

Out of curiosity which sight pusher tool are you using? And did you let the penetrating oil sit for a while? Some people suggest trying to cool the slide in a freezer in the idea that the sight might compress slightly, but idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetinteriorguy

Back when I had XDs and XDms I remember that Springfield Armory was infamous for how hard it was to move their sights.

Out of curiosity which sight pusher tool are you using? And did you let the penetrating oil sit for a while? Some people suggest trying to cool the slide in a freezer in the idea that the sight might compress slightly, but idk.

I have a sight pushing tool made by Wiregear, it’s a pretty good solid tool and gets a good grip on things. I’ve cranked so hard using this tool but no go. As far as penetrant I’ve tried Lube Job Super Penetrant, Mouse Milk, and Kroil. I’ve pulled the slide and looked underneath to see if maybe there’s a set screw to hold the sight but nada.

TunnelRat

Yeah they’re just insanely tight in the dovetail. A gunsmith I brought one to said it’s likely a hydraulic press that pushes them in. Moving them after the fact is a bear.

I have a pusher from Wheeler Engineering and I’ve run into sights that are really problematic. If you know a gunsmith that has a MGW pusher that attaches by different footprints that hold the slide by the rails themselves that might be able to do it. I’ve never had one of those fail, though even then you’re up against some serious force turning the pusher.

Do you know a good gunsmith? I like to do a lot of my own stuff, but I’ve also messed up enough personally to know when to throw in the towel.

Last edited:

jetinteriorguy

Yeah they’re just insanely tight in the dovetail. A gunsmith I brought one to said it’s likely a hydraulic press that pushes them in. Loving them after the fact is a bear.

I have a pusher from Wheeler Engineering and I’ve run into sights that are really problematic. If you know a gunsmith that has a MGW pusher that attaches by different footprints that hold the slide by the rails themselves that might be able to do it. I’ve never had one of those fail, though even then you’re up against some serious force turning the pusher.

Do you know a good gunsmith? I like to do a lot of my own stuff, but I’ve also messed up enough personally to know when to throw in the towel.

I haven’t dealt with any gunsmiths around here, I’ve always dealt with minor issues myself. I was having problems shooting about an inch to the left at 7yds, which is typical for my big hands and a smaller gun. I did add a Hogue grip sleeve which has helped a lot and now it’s only slightly left, which I can live with. But it would still be nice to just move the sight a bit to get it right on. This is really a shame since it’s the most accurate small pistol I’ve ever had

The factory may have used Loctite. Red Loctite (the most likely suspect) requires heat to release. Unless the sight is plastic, try heating it with a soldering iron.

unclenunzie

It is very difficult but it can be done. I used a sight pusher w/oil, carefully lined everything up and with force I thought was unreasonable I heard a crack sound. I though I broke something but no, the sight moved a little bit and the sound was cringe worthy. Got it to where it needed to be, then inspected everything again, just to be sure.

Even before the Hellcat the SA XD line was known to be very difficult to move the sights.

jetinteriorguy

The factory may have used Loctite. Red Loctite (the most likely suspect) requires heat to release. Unless the sight is plastic, try heating it with a soldering iron.
I did try an industrial heat gun, but I like the idea of a soldering iron and might give it a try. The soldering iron would concentrate the heat much better than the heat gun did. The sight is metal so shouldn’t be a problem.